Cell phone fix needed

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by beachbaby32459, Sep 20, 2010.

1. beachbaby32459

beachbaby32459 Member

I have one of those cell phones that flips open and lately it's been making a crackling sound when I open it and the hinges feel like they are sticking. Would it work to put some oil on them or would that ruin the phone?

2. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

beachbaby32459 have you been to the beach lately?

I suspect sand or something else is trapped in there. Try cleaning it with compressed air. I doubt oil will fix it, but if cleaning it doesn't work try use mineral oil.

3. beachbaby32459

beachbaby32459 Member

Are you saying rub it with mineral oil to clean it or drop the oil over the hinges? I'm really trying to not have to buy a new phone so I want to be clear on what to do.

And yes, I was at the beach back in July and am thinking of going back before long since it seems summer may never end.

4. drtybykr

drtybykr New Member

My flip phone has been making a cracking sound for over a year, and it is still going strong.

5. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

beachbaby, Try to clean it first. I don't know how the hinge works, but maybe try running a piece of paper through the hinge like dental floss. Or maybe dental floss!

The last resort in my mind is oiling it, and even that I'd do sparingly.

6. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

Putting any kind of liquid on it would be a bad idea, imo. The connections for the screen actually run through the hinges--if you want the screen to continue working, its probably best not to get that cable wet. If the cable gets wet, it may not be a big deal, but on either end that cable connects to the main board or lcd itself--those connections aren't liquid proof. The floss idea and compressed air ideas are a good start though... Depending on the model of phone, it may be easy enough to disassemble yourself. You should be able to find a video tutorial on doing so on YouTube or something.

7. N.T.F.S.

N.T.F.S. Active Member

I too would not use any oil on it, as said early I would try some compressed air or some good old fashioned lungs then pick up some graphite powder in a tube and use sparingly on the hinges. You can get it from any hobby store or Home depot for about 3 bucks