CCW Applied for in Coweta County

Discussion in 'GWL News & Information' started by Manwell, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Manwell

Manwell New Member

Just applied for my CCW in Coweta County, very friendly and efficient people at the Probate Court office. They said it would be 3 to 5 months before I will receive the permit. Seems like an awful long time to do some background checking, a service I’m paying for to boot. Oh well, such is when dealing with the government… unless you owe them money that is!

Manwell

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

It was ink fingerprints last time I checked. Have they upgraded to digital fingerprinting yet?

By the way, they got me my license right at the 60 days required by statute.

You might also look in the Ga. County Licensing forum. Gunstar1 has had some success in advising people on how to politely deal with the county level personnel in the more recalcitrant counties (not that I am saying Coweta is one of them). You can look here for some of that advice:

http://www.gfodl.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=269

You might just arm yourself with some information and just call the probate clerk (be nice) and let her know what you "found." The statute's language is pretty clear, and there is nothing in it about waiting for whatever they tell you they are waiting for . . .

You might print it out and have it handy while on the phone. My experience has always been that the people at the Coweta courthouse are extremely heplful and friendly.

3. Manwell

Manwell New Member

First off, the fingerprint process is still ink. I went to the county sheriff department; no muss no fuss… very friendly people to deal with.

As mentioned, the people I dealt with at the Probate Court were very friendly and you couldn’t have asked for them be more polite and efficient. However, I may take your advice and make a phone call and try talking with the honorable Judge Mary T. Cranford. If 60 days is the law or statute, then I would expect no less.

My approach will to be very tactful, as I have nothing to gain being any other way. After all, they were very good to deal with. Maybe the clerk is just misinformed. Friendly and polite are the best methods to use… unless your defending yourself or family against violence, then there are no rules!

Manwell