CCI Shotshells in 9mm

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by tace, Oct 22, 2007.

1. tace

tace New Member

I have heard that these don't really work in 9mms. I have carried them for snake loads alternating with Speer GDs, but never shot them before. Tried them at the range yesterday. Well, you can fire once and then have to do a clearance drill cause the round is so light, it doesn't have enough to cycle the slide. I have heard before of the BBs falling inside the gun from others. With a XD Sc 9mm, I haven't had that happen, the BBs would hit the target but the very light casing wouldn't extract.

I didn't even bother trying the .22lr ones with my P22. I figure that would be a waste.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Is the regular 9mm insufficient to kill snakes? :lol:

Got a lot of snakes around Grant Park that need killin'? :rotfl:

3. tace

tace New Member

I am sure a normal 9mm bullet can kill a snake but that would require aiming in a very high stress situation at a small moving target.

I was carrying them in the North GA mountains while out of town.

Funny you mention that. I was coming home from the range and my neighbor saw the targets I was unloading. He asked if I was practicing. Then said "could you please take care of some of the 2 legged targets that walk around here" :lol:

4. Taler

Taler New Member

Snake loads in my .44 mag wheel gun worked fine. :D

5. Claire

Claire New Member

I used a shovel to kill the snake by my pond

6. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I'm gonna have to watch out next time I'm shooting with all of you.

Killing snakes... you might get a little mixed up and take a shot at me!

7. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

:rotfl2:

8. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

I've used CCI shot shells for .40 S&W in my G23. I've never experienced a failure to extract but I have found that feeding additional cartridges is unreliable. Bottom line: use shotshells in a revolver if you need a follow up shot.

9. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

[-o<

10. AeroShooter

Are you praying for snake's safety or that they'll take the shot?

Or maybe perhaps you're trying to pray something (in snake) away? :)

11. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

shooting snakes

You don't need to be shooting snakes. Unless you know the venemous ones, odds are about 99% that you'll be killing a harmless snake that wants to eat bugs and mice, etc. And even if it is a poisonous snake, if you're way out in the woods where people go to see wild animals in their own enviroment... why kill those animals when you find them? If it's a copperhead in your back yard, OK. Crawling down the sidewalk in a residential subdivision, OK (better use a shovel for that-- less noise).

12. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

Re: shooting snakes

+1 Snakes are our friends. Well, except the poisonous ones that get too close to one's house. Kill them. Otherwise, let the rat eaters go free.

*** Hi-jack story ***

I had a non-venomous one make its way into my yard a couple of years ago that would have taken several of those shot shells to kill. It took the dog out and luckily saw it before he did. It was sunning right beside my driveway. I used a garden rake to scoop it up and carry it to the woods behind my house. I did not kill it or harm it in any way. I am short (only 5'6") but this sucker was huge. I held the rake at shoulder height while carrying it and it still dragged the ground, and that was even with it hooked around the teeth of the rake. It was a fatty too. Biggest snake I have ever seen outside of a zoo.

13. AeroShooter

Re: shooting snakes

Agreed. I'm not sure anyone here is advocating the killing of snakes capriously, unless of course one is speaking of gsusnake, then the matter becomes the topic of a new thread. :) Most snakes will sense your approach from the vibrations of your footsteps, make an assessment as to whether or not it can swallow you whole. At some point it will begin to realize that not only are you not food but you're also a threat and will move off. I've only had to kill snakes on rare occasion on my property in Alabama and even then it was because they were rattlesnakes that were coiled to strike and in my way.

14. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Who said we'd be mixed up? :twisted:

15. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I is not gonna comment.

16. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Looks like I'm gonna need to go Mall Ninja double trauma plate style at the next gathering...

17. AeroShooter

Any excuse to buy more gear... right? :)