Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

CBS Atlanta poll on constitutional carry for Georgia.

2K views 67 replies 21 participants last post by  smn 
#1 ·
#28 ·
Bulldawg182 said:
majority of the country requires no license to carry openly, right
Please name any major metropolis city in the country where it's legal to carry openly without a license.
I am trying to figure out if you are being serious or just playing with me. I will assume for the sake of answering this post that you are being serious. Seattle. Eugene. Budder already listed the situation in Cali. Las Vegas. Boise (By the way, these are all 18 for handguns and children for long arms so far). Helena (I should move!). Cheyenne. Salt Lake City. Arizona cities have already been mentioned (no concealed license there required, either, which answers one third of your question about which three states - again, was that a serious question, as often as you read here? The others are Alaska and Vermont, and a few other states have legislation pending). Albequerque. Boulder. Colorado Springs. Pierre. New Orleans. Madison. Detroit. Indianapolis. Lexington. Frankfort. Montgomery. Birmingham. Richmond. Hampton. Norfolk. Virginia Beach. Alexandria. Arlington. Columbus. Cleveland. Dayton. Toledo. Pittsburgh (already mentioned by another poster). Harrisburg. Reading. Burlington (Vermont does not require a license to conceal, either). Porstmouth. Concord. Bangor.

#29 ·
Bulldawg182 said:
It is my opinion that:
1. any effort to pass legislation to make it legal to carry in Atlanta (openly or concealed) without a permit will be doomed to fail and will cause major public relations setbacks for more realistic efforts to gain further advances for permit holders.
I predict Georgia will be a "Gold Star" state for openly carrying by 2013. Just my prediction. :wink:
I've been wrong before and am prepared to be wrong again in the future.....how about you?
Nope! [-(

:lol:

#30 ·
45_Fan said:
Reference material:
http://www.opencarry.org/maps.html

AK, AZ, and VT require no license for CC or OC.
AK and AZ still issue for reciprocity reasons, VT does not issue.
It's sad to look at the reciprocity maps, and see that toters in VT are limited to travel in Alaska or Arizona. It's at the same time very refreshing to know there are states so firmly rooted in their convictions that they will not change.

#31 ·
CountryGun said:
45_Fan said:
Reference material:
http://www.opencarry.org/maps.html

AK, AZ, and VT require no license for CC or OC.
AK and AZ still issue for reciprocity reasons, VT does not issue.
It's sad to look at the reciprocity maps, and see that toters in VT are limited to travel in Alaska or Arizona. It's at the same time very refreshing to know there are states so firmly rooted in their convictions that they will not change.
They can always get a non-res from other states. No love from SC though, but GA honors several.

#33 ·
Malum Prohibitum said:
Bulldawg182 said:
It is my opinion that:
1. any effort to pass legislation to make it legal to carry in Atlanta (openly or concealed) without a permit will be doomed to fail and will cause major public relations setbacks for more realistic efforts to gain further advances for permit holders.
I predict Georgia will be a "Gold Star" state for openly carrying by 2013. Just my prediction.
I predict that is also the year Bulldawg will be moving to Florida, too, in order to escape the freedom-loving crazies here in Georgia. Better put in for a GPDO name change... Gator182.

:p

#34 ·
If I'm reading correctly, only 3 states now fit the bill which is the topic of the poll being discussed in this thread. Only AK, AZ & VT currently allow open or concealed carry without a permit....correct?

We've had similar discussions in the past and, while there's many ways to cloud the end result by talking about California type situations and disguising Montpelier as a major city, the truth is that only 3 states currently allow open or concealed carry without a permit.

I stand by my opinion that barring polar bears, grizzly bears or mountain lions invading downtown Atlanta, trying to get Georgia to allow open and concealed carry without any permit is ludicrous and far fetched. Yet, I wish you luck in your endeavor.
I predict that is also the year Bulldawg will be moving to Florida, too, in order to escape the freedom-loving crazies here in Georgia. Better put in for a GPDO name change... Gator182
AV8R, take your "freedom loving crazy" BS somewhere else.....and take your little :lol: crap with it. You're no friend of mine and certainly not someone making cute talk with your little smilies so save your sarcastic BS for some one who'll fall for it......try your dog or maybe your wife.

#35 ·
You left out Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, and many other metro areas of Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania is not a Constitutional Carry state, but open carry without a permit is legal

#36 ·
CountryGun said:
You left out Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, and many other metro areas of Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania is not a Constitutional Carry state, but open carry without a permit is legal
open carry is generally legal....a LTCF is required only in Philly and to carry in a car,train,bus,bike etc( a license from any state even one without reciprocity with PA is honored for vehicle carry or Philly OC)

#37 ·
rmodel65 said:
CountryGun said:
open carry is generally legal....a LTCF is required only in Philly and to carry in a car,train,bus,bike etc( a license from any state even one without reciprocity with PA is honored for vehicle carry or Philly OC)
As such, Pennsylvania and the cities mentioned above are not relevant to the poll which is the topic of this thread.

#38 ·
Bulldawg182 said:
rmodel65 said:
CountryGun said:
As such, Pennsylvania and the cities mentioned above are not relevant to the poll which is the topic of this thread.
Maybe not to the topic of this thread but to your post that asked for the name of ONE (1) major city that allowed open or concealed without a permit. Several have been named and for the one state you have 3. So if you only want one just pick one of the many.

This is not intended to be offensive or arguementative just say'n...

#39 ·
Bulldawg182 said:
rmodel65 said:
CountryGun said:
You left out Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, and many other metro areas of Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania is not a Constitutional Carry state, but open carry without a permit is legal[/quote]

i was commenting on this statement....thats why i said generally dont want someone to think Philly(which is a city of the first class and the only one in PA)is an unlicensed OC city

#41 ·
Maybe not to the topic of this thread but to your post that asked for the name of ONE (1) major city that allowed open or concealed without a permit. Several have been named and for the one state you have 3. So if you only want one just pick one of the many.
I would hardly call "3" states "many" and I stand by my opinion and have yet to see a "major city" that allows open or concealed carry without a permit. I stand by my opinion that attempting to promote same in Atlanta, Ga will prove to be both an unpopular and political mistake and, as such, will not succeed and further, will prove detrimental to future attainable gains.

I know that my opinion is unpopular here and that some of lesser character will suggest that I might not be a "freedom loving Georgian" or that I should move to another state, but such drivel has not and will not change my opinion.

Either way, I will not be supportive of any attempt by this group or any other which promotes open or concealed carry without a permit or background check.

#42 ·
So you think the murderers and criminals care what we do with carry laws? How will allowing more citizens to carry harm things? The ones who will use a gun to commit a crime will regardless what the law is. This will only allow more honest citizens to carry without paying and jumping thru govt hoops.

#43 ·
Bulldawg182 said:
I would hardly call "3" states "many" and I stand by my opinion and have yet to see a "major city" that allows open or concealed carry without a permit. I stand by my opinion that attempting to promote same in Atlanta, GA will prove to be both an unpopular and political mistake and, as such, will not succeed and further, will prove detrimental to future attainable gains.
Would you accept Las Vegas, NV or Seattle, WA as unlicensed OC examples or Phoenix, AZ as an unlicensed OC or CC major city? If none qualify as a "major city" yet exceed Atlanta's population, could we agree upon the definition of "major city"?

Only 3 states currently allow unlicensed OC AND CC. With the exception of Hawaii, all states west of Texas permit unlicensed OC in some form. If it isn't red or green on this map: http://opencarry.org/opencarry.html there is a good chance that unlicensed OC is not an issue in that state, though I am not a lawyer and advise others to research any city or state they will travel to for unexpected surprises.

#44 ·
patrick4588 said:
So you think the murderers and criminals care what we do with carry laws? How will allowing more citizens to carry harm things? The ones who will use a gun to commit a crime will regardless what the law is. This will only allow more honest citizens to carry without paying and jumping thru govt hoops.
My opinion that trying to pass unlicensed, no permit open and cc would be detrimental to our best interests and would be doomed to failure has nothing whatsoever to do with your statement above or my feelings on those topics. As I've explained, I feel such an attempt would create opposition of massive scale and force many of the political alliances forged in recent years to run for cover from the backlash. This sentiment has nothing to do with who will or won't obey laws or commit crimes.

#45 ·
all states west of Texas permit unlicensed OC in some form
Yep, we've had disagreement on this map in the past and there's plenty of misleading "colors" on it. Take California as one of the prime examples. Just what "form" of unlicensed carry do they "allow"? This is not the only example.

Here's a list of the largest metropolitan areas in the US....and yes, I'd grant that Phoenix is a good example for your side of this discussion but Las Vegas and/or Seattle do NOT allow open or CC without a permit and are not relevant. Please review the table on this page and discuss any other major cities or metro areas you might see here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_United_States_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas#Table

#46 ·
patrick4588 said:
Lol, why have ANY laws, right?

#47 ·
For those of you accepting of a permit to exercise your fundamental 2A rights, would you accept a permit system from the state to attend church? How about a permit system to peacefully protest or meet in groups? How about a permit to exercise your right to silence? How about a permit to refuse unreasonable searches and seizures? How about a permit to question your accuser in a trial? How about a permit to run a printing press or blog? How much permission do you need to stay free?

Are you sure you want a permit system for the 2A? If one is allowed to exist for guns then a scheme might set in for others. It's called the slippery slope and everyone here should recognize that and fight against it.

#48 ·
pml said:
patrick4588 said:
Lol, why have ANY laws, right?
Not at all what I said but I do believe people have the right to self defense no matter where they are, and the licensing process is an infringement on the 2a.

#49 ·
Bulldawg182 said:
AV8R, take your "freedom loving crazy" BS somewhere else.....and take your little :lol: crap with it. You're no friend of mine and certainly not someone making cute talk with your little smilies so save your sarcastic BS for some one who'll fall for it......try your dog or maybe your wife.
It was a :p not a :lol: - But, right now I am most certainly :lol: :lol: :lol:

#50 ·
AV8R said:
Bulldawg182 said:
It was a :p not a :lol: - But, right now I am most certainly :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yep....I understand. As the saying goes, don't waste your time wrestling with a pig in the mud....you'll just get $#$% all over you and the pig enjoys it!"

Enjoy yourself with your verbal masturbation!!

#51 ·
For those of you accepting of a permit to exercise your fundamental 2A rights, would you accept a permit system from the state to.......
It's not a question of "accepting" anything. You accept having to pay unreasonable taxes, being body scanned at the airports, buying permits & licenses to open a business, paying social security, buying insurance for your cars and a whole host of other violations of your rights.

All I'm saying is that once in force, the odds of reversing these rights violations almost always prove to be highly unlikely if not impossible. Moreover, the entire population is in agreement with reversing the examples above and they still can't be changed. He vast majority of our population could either care less about gun permits or is opposed to them.....as is the media. Organizations have been and continue to be successful from time to time in "tweaking" these things to make them more acceptable, but eradicating the permit requirements in entirety would be as easy as doing away with paying taxes in my opinion.

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;: Courage to change the things I can;: And wisdom to know the difference."[/b]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.