Caught....Red Handed!

Discussion in 'GWL News & Information' started by Bulldawg182, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Bulldawg182

Bulldawg182 Active Member

I thought you'd all get a kick out of my recent embarrassing meeting with 6 Atlanta police officers last night.

As you might have seen here in the "For Sale" area, I'm selling two of my Glocks. Well, an interested buyer and I arranged to meet in Buckhead yesterday evening so he could inspect and take delivery of my G23. My wife & I were meeting friends for dinner there and he was coming from downtown so it was a likely spot to get it done.

We agreed to meet in the parking lot of Phipps around 6:30pm and did so easily. We parked side by side in a far corner of the parking lot where there was no traffic. Well, I opened the trunk and, although leaving the weapon and it's case in the trunk at all times, allowed him to inspect it. It wasn't even one minute from the time I opened the trunk until 2 Atlanta police cruisers pulled in directly behind me and 4 officers stepped out with hands on their holsters. They were accompanied by 3 armed security guards from the mall in golf cart like security carts.

I immediately handed them my GFL and explained what we were doing and they were ok with the situation after inspecting my trunk and asking to see the G23 which was lying in the open case in the trunk by this time. The lead officer stated that it wasn't the smartest place in the world to do what we had done and added that the security cameras directly above my trunk had witnessed the entire event.

He was defintely right and we should have picked a more "quiet" place for the inspection. Of course, my wife who was sitting in the car was mortified and has been rubbing it in all night and still this morning.

Oh, well....not the first mistake I've made.

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

lol

Glad everything turned out ok....but that is funny.

3. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

At least they were on the ball and reacted reasonably.

4. tony218

tony218 New Member

well,da*# nobody got tazed

5. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

+1
    That just sounds like attentative security personel and well responding police to me. See? They're not all bad.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Now at least we know they monitor those things.

Were you carrying? If so, did you disclose?

Was a GFL needed in this situation? Do you believe it helped ease tensions?

What do you think may have happened (asking for speculation here, I know) if you had given them the exact same explanation without the GFL?

7. Bulldawg182

1. No, I was not carrying with the exception of having the G23 in the clam case along with 2 empty mags and one 13 rounder filled w/ Gold Dots. I was leaving there to go to dinner at a restaurant that served alcohol (as they all do) and for this reason did not carry.

2. I don't believe a GFL was needed in this situation since all have the right to own a handgun and transport it in your vehicle and to sell it to any "of age" individual as long as you have no reason to believe he's not a "bad guy".

3. Giving him my GFL immediately ABSOLUTELY changed the atmosphere from tense to almost humorous. I can tell you two of the officers had their hands resting on their weapons as they exited their cars and kept them there until I handed over my GFL. You could actually see the "relief" in their faces and body language.

4. I'm sure in the absence of my GFL, there would have at least been many more questions and possibly worse. It's pure conjecture here, but I'm pretty confident I would have been late for dinner! :oops: :lol:

Here's one more question. Since the "buyer" didn't take delivery that evening, I proceeded to my dinner where booze was served and parked at the establishment. The weapon was left in the trunk in the clamshell case. Was I in violation?

8. Malum Prohibitum

9. Malum Prohibitum

Interesting.

10. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

Glad everything worked out for you.

11. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I'll second that one. Both times that I have sold a firearm FTF I was carrying. I was carrying when I met MLS4506 Sat to sell him my Saiga. I had my PPK/S concealed at 3:30. When I sold my wifes G19 a few months ago, I was selling to some from GT that I didn't know and who wasn't a regular on that site, so I open carried my G17 with a spare mag in my pocket.

12. Bulldawg182

This was a young guy who is the friend of a friend I trust. Still, he only got to handle the empty weapon with the empty mags. The mag filled with 13 rounds of Gold Dots was in my hand......up until the cops showed anyways. :roll:

13. merlock

merlock New Member

+1

14. Axeman

Axeman New Member

+ 1 more.

Man I keep picturing this in my mind as if I were you and, I might have had to changed my shorts. :oops:

15. M249

M249 New Member

Nice to see APD being cool about it. 8)

16. jeepsterwannabe

jeepsterwannabe New Member

so he was a bad guy?