Catoosa County

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by stepbyrd, Feb 23, 2005.

1. stepbyrd

stepbyrd New Member

Took about 60 days from date of application.

(Info taken from http://www.catoosa.com/probate%20court/ ... censes.htm)

Basic Requirements:

Applicant must be not less than 21 years of age;

Applicant must be a resident of Catoosa County to apply for and receive the license here;

Applicant must provide picture I.D. and proof or residence in Catoosa County;

Applicant must not currently be on probation for any offense;

Applicant must be fingerprinted and submit to a criminal and mental health records check;

Applicant must not have any legal disqualification to receipt of the license. [Important: Please see the notes below concerning ineligibility of certain persons.]

Fees, Costs and Procedure:

A fee of $20.00, payable to Catoosa County Probate Court. This fee covers the application charge of $15.00, plus the charge of $5.00 for fingerprinting and local records check. Personal checks are accepted with picture ID, Social Security number, and telephone number(s).

New applicants must pay an additional $24.00, payable to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (G.B.I.) for the complete criminal records history from the records maintained by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. This MUST be in the form of a money order or a cashier’s check. Personal checks are NOT accepted by the G.B.I.

Renewal applications may be made up to ninety days prior or up to thirty days following the expiration of an existing license. A timely renewal will involve, unless otherwise directed by the Judge, only the $20.00 fee payable to Catoosa County Probate Court and only a check of the State criminal and mental health records through the Georgia Crime Information Center (G.C.I.C.). Any application for a firearms license made later than thirty days after the expiration of an earlier license may be treated by the Court as a new application, requiring the additional fee of $24.00 to the G.B.I.

A temporary renewal license, which expires 90 days after issuance, may be issued to any applicant whose renewal application is made before the thirtieth day after expiration of an existing license. The fee for the temporary renewal license is $1.00.

Upon issuance of the license, the applicant may pick up the license in person at the Probate Court. At the election of the applicant, the license may be mailed to the applicant upon issuance for an additional fee of $1.00.

A lost or stolen license may be replaced upon payment of a fee of $5.00 (plus mailing, if desired). A sworn statement that the license has been lost or stolen is required; if the license was stolen, the theft must be reported to the law enforcement agency where the theft occurred. The prior license will be revoked by Court order, which will be reported to the local law enforcement agencies.

Note: There is no refund of any part of the application and other fees once the application is filed and the process has begun. [Important: Please see the notes below concerning ineligibility of certain persons.

Upon receipt of the required criminal and mental health records, those records are reviewed for the applicant’s eligibility to receive a license. Any questions concerning eligibility are referred to the Judge for determination. If the applicant is determined to be eligible to receive a license, the license is issued. Note: The Catoosa County Probate Court has no control over the length of time for the return of the criminal and mental health records from the F.B.I. and the G.B.I. On new applications, this process may take as much as six months; for renewals, the time is usually less than 30 days. The Court cannot be required to issue a license until the necessary reports have been received.

Ineligible Persons:

Under O.C.G.A. §16-11-129(b), no license may be issued to certain persons, as follows:

Pending Criminal Charges – Any person who is a fugitive from justice or against whom proceedings are pending for any felony, forcible misdemeanor, or violations of Code Sections 16-11-126 (carrying a concealed weapon), 16-11-127 (carrying deadly weapons to or at public gatherings), or 16-11-128 (carrying pistol without license) is ineligible to receive a license until such time as the proceedings are adjudicated.

Felony Conviction(s) – Any person convicted of or placed on probation as a first offender for a felony offense by a proper court is ineligible to receive a license, unless the person has (1) received a pardon which expressly authorizes the receipt, possession or transport of a firearm, (2) received from the Board of Public Safety relief from disabilities, or (3) been discharged from first offender probation without adjudication of guilt. The pardon, relief or discharge must be exhibited to the Court. If application is made based upon relied from disabilities, the applicant must have been free of supervision for not less than five years for non-forcible felony convictions or not less than ten years for forcible felony convictions.

Drug Convictions – Any person who has been “convicted†of any offense arising out of the unlawful manufacture, distribution, possession or use of a controlled substance or dangerous drug is ineligible to receive a license, unless that person has been pardoned. Note: for purposes of drug offenses only, “conviction†includes a plea of guilty, a finding of guilt by a court of competent jurisdiction, the acceptance of a plea of nolo contendere, or the affording of first offender treatment. Even a person who has completed first offender probation and been discharged without adjudication of guilt for an offense involving illegal drugs is ineligible to receive a license. Only a pardon will suffice to grant eligibility to a person with a drug conviction.

Misdemeanor Convictions – Any person who has been convicted of a forcible misdemeanor is ineligible to receive a license until the person has been free of restraint or supervision for at least five years.

Other Convictions – Any person who has been convicted of an offense under Code Sections 16-11-126 (carrying a concealed weapon), 16-11-127 (carrying deadly weapons to or at public gatherings), or 16-11-128 (carrying pistol without license) is ineligible to receive a license until the person has been free of restraint or supervision for at least three years.

Mental Health Hospitalization – Any person who has been hospitalized as an inpatient in any mental hospital or alcohol or drug treatment center within five years prior to the date of the application is ineligible to receive a license, unless the Judge, in his discretion, issues the license after consideration of the circumstances surrounding the hospitalization and any recommendation by the superintendent of the hospital or treatment center where the applicant as a patient.

Further, under the Gun Control Act of 1968, 18 U.S.C. §921 et seq., any person who has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence is ineligible to receive a license, unless the person has received a pardon or relief from disabilities.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Other than the 60 days, was there anything about your experience other than what is listed in the instruction sheet (people helpful and friendly or hostile). Asked any irrelevant questions? Restricted hours for fingerprinting? Anything like that?

3. stepbyrd

stepbyrd New Member

Staff was very knowledgable at the probate court office. Only issue was with the fingerprinting. During Superior court sessions, you might have to "make an appoinment" to get your fingerprints done due to staff having to transport inmates to court. I had to go back three times over a week to the Sheriff's Department to get them to do mine. I still had about an hours wait.

4. seajay

seajay NRA Certified Instructor

Thanks for helping make our site more complete. The information you shared will help others in your area wade through the GFL process.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Still around 60 days +

I had no problems with any individuals in Catoosa County. All involved were very nice. My finger prints were rejected for smudging - had to redo and resubmit. Still using the ink and paper method for background checks - digital for criminals. All in all - it took an additional 3-4 weeks on top of the 60 days to get. I was able to get finger printed within minutes each visit. There will be 3 seperate places one has to visit. 1st is the probate Judge at the court house downtown Ringgold - actually you will see the judges' clerical staff - fill out some paper work, get ID'd, trigger finger printed, pay some CASH - you must have EXACT amount for each step of the process - and only in CASH. 2nd is the trip to the Catoosa County jail on Hwy 41 to be finger printed - more questions to fill out - but they do have a template to follow - just make sure you follow it in detail. 3rd is a trip next door to the Sheriff's office - just a few steps out one door and into another - pay some more CASH and turn in everything - oops - 4th is the waiting game begins - hoping your finger prints are readable by the GBI. But that's it.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Re: Still around 60 days +

Why, I wonder?

Surely you deserve better treatment than a criminal?

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I would hope so - too much ink to clean off my hands.
    I posed the same question. They said the dept at GBI that does that background checks were not set up to handle digital finger prints. So who am I to argue? I thought for sure the last set they took were sumdged - at least they looked that way to me - but they got accepted this time.

8. pro2am

pro2am New Member

The GBI is not setup to handle digital prints? Yet Catoosa County has the capability of taking them electronically.

Wow. Purdue was right...the state can't afford the property tax refund this year...good thing he line item vetoed that one, GBI needs the money.

9. Malum Prohibitum

They did? :?

"It is better to be a poor man than a liar." Prov. 19:22

"But for the cowardly and unbelieving and abominable and murderers and immoral persons and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their part will be in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death." Rev. 21:8

10. pro2am

pro2am New Member

What'r you sayin' MP?

11. Malum Prohibitum

I am sayin' that I detect a lack of candor on the part of a certain Catoosa County Deputy.

12. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

If GBI can't handle digital prints, what is Catoosa County doing with all the digital prints it takes of criminal defendants?

13. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Be direct... he is either VERY ignorant or lying his ass off.

Let me give you proof, GBI's GCIC report for Fiscal year 04 (I think thats July 2004 - June 2005) says this:
    http://www.state.ga.us/gbi/04annual/GCIC_FY04.pdf
    bottom of the first page from a document saying the GCIC can do it from 2 years ago.

14. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Take that logic elsewhere. You are going to make their poor heads explode.

15. Malum Prohibitum

FlyboyLDB, I believe this is your mission, should you choose to accept it. This message will self destruct in . . .

16. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Why you are a citizen sir!

17. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Before he vetoed the whole bill...then unvetoed the whole bill.....then line item vetoed that part of the bill and signed the rest into law and...who knows he might change his mind on it next week...this whole thing is a constitutional farce. :roll:

Anyway, I'm all for tax cuts but I don't think GA could afford this one, this year. Some people are saying Spkr. Richardson jumped on this because he is going to run for governor next time. We shall see.

18. Guest

Guest Guest

My mission was accomplished - my carry permit arrived. Sorry for touching off a debate. I just was sharing my experience here in Catoosa County and from my point of view - a very pleasent experience. I was just passing along what the lady doing the finger printing told me. The electronic finger printing unit was just a few steps away through the door. Who is at fault that Catoosa County is utilizing ink based finger prints for background checks? You got me - I was told it was the "Dept that is responsible for background checks at the GBI". Yes, I know that the GBI has the capability for electronic prints - the lady even stated that - and that the ink prints will get scanned in at GBI & FBI. I just know that for background checks of any kind - you will be finger printed with ink in Catoosa County. If you get arrested - you will get electronically scanned. Is one more expensive than the other - I would think the ink process would be - but I don't know. Again, sorry for sparking a political firestorm.

Yep, I am a citizen - but what would I be agruing for or against? Ink vs no ink? I could have staged an opposition to the ink for background checks vs the alleged criminals get the no ink? I am sure I would have gained some attention - as well as my revocation of my carry permit app.

19. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

They cannot take away your GFL just because you tell them they are wrong.

20. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Whew! That's a relief. If they could, I would be in a world of hurt.