Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 203 Posts

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When will Lt. Governor Casey Cagle step up to the plate and say something about Gov. Deal's vetos of HB 1060 (omnibus gun rights bill) and HB 859 (campus carry)?

Is he going to keep silent and look like Deal's lapdog, and then pretend later to care about Second Amendment Rights when he officially runs for Governor of Georgia?

·
American
3,289 Posts
When will Lt. Governor Casey Cagle step up to the plate and say something about Gov. Deal's vetos of HB 1060 (omnibus gun rights bill) and HB 859 (campus carry)?

Is he going to keep silent and look like Deal's lapdog, and then pretend later to care about Second Amendment Rights when he officially runs for Governor of Georgia?
What you need to ask yourself is this: is Cagle a politician? If you answer yes you have your answer.

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,413 Posts
When did Republicans begin to be confused with some species of vertebrate?

I really believe Cagle orchestrated the passage with Deal planning to veto it. It's Deal's last term and it lets Cagle look like a 2A supporter. I recall someone posting on here his senator complaining that he was ordered from on high to vote for the bill. It sailed through just too dang easy.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, here's to hoping it sails through next year with enough votes to overcome another veto.

And no more watered down stuff anymore - just an honest decriminalizing of campus carry for us.

Adding licensed carriers to 16-11-130 would be the best method.

When did Republicans begin to be confused with some species of vertebrate?

I really believe Cagle orchestrated the passage with Deal planning to veto it. It's Deal's last term and it lets Cagle look like a 2A supporter. I recall someone posting on here his senator complaining that he was ordered from on high to vote for the bill. It sailed through just too dang easy.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well, here's to hoping it sails through next year with enough votes to overcome another veto.

And no more watered down stuff anymore - just an honest decriminalizing of campus carry for us.

On this note, do we have a list of support broken down by legislator?

I'm somewhat wondering how many "safe" and "hostile" votes we have, with names of those not in either so we can do some targeted vote whipping.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
He reminds me of Karl Childers. Especially in hat pic with the moms

·
Registered
299 Posts
Deal is a lying snake.

Cagle is the belly of said snake.

Kaiser blades are good for getting rid of serpents.

Would you like some mustard for that biscuit?

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
What you need to ask yourself is this: is Cagle a politician? If you answer yes you have your answer.
I think we are starting to get to the root here :-k

·
Registered
8,779 Posts

What if full-bore absolutism fails and we have to resort to incrementalism. How can we move the ball for both campus and church carry? Go with "Not in buildings without permission"? Something else?

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Heard on WSB Radio earlier this evening that Speaker Ralston intends for a new campus carry bill to be introduced early in the session that will address Governor Deal's concerns. A veto override for HB 859 is not planned.

·
Just a Man
6,065 Posts

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Everything he said in the interview confirmed all of what I wrote.

He specifically stated that his "preference" is not to do a veto override but to revisit the issue (ie, a new bill) and "address the concerns out there" (ie Gov. Deal's concerns, who else's?).

It was fairly straightforward. If I misrepresented anything at all, please educate me, as I'm starting to have doubts now if I know the meanings of words. ;-)

That is not what he said in the interview that I heard. http://gpbnews.org/post/georgia-house-speaker-david-ralston-upcoming-legislative-session

Starts around the 12:45 minute mark.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is indeed an odd development.

We have Casey Cagle as Lt. Governor, who we can safely assume to run for Governor soon, who wants to presumably court our vote as a supposedly pro-Second Amendment candidate.

Why doesn't he just pick up the phone or send a note to Speaker Ralston and communicate the following?:

"Speaker Ralston, what's this talk about further compromising a campus carry bill with a lot of restrictive nonsense?

If licensed carriers of weapons can be trusted to carry everywhere else in Georgia, such as at state, local, and city parks where children gather, why not at schools to stop criminal and terrorist attacks?

Now draw up a bill that simply decriminalizes campus carry, and if Governor Deal vetoes it, well just override the veto. The Senate is with you, so be strong!"

Lt. Governor Cagle, we're waiting. You do honestly support our Second Amendment Rights, don't you?

Sounds like we can expect a bill even more watered down than last year's version.

·
69,784 Posts
There is no addressing the concerns. The goal posts will always move. The veto message raises concerns with which it is impossible to comply. Even if the legislature does comply, there will be additional concerns raised after that, and so on.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Interesting analysis. I wonder if it will play out that way. I suppose the proof is in the pudding.

There is no addressing the concerns. The goal posts will always move. The veto message raises concerns with which it is impossible to comply. Even if the legislature does comply, there will be additional concerns raised after that, and so on.

·
69,784 Posts
For one thing, the veto message https://gov.georgia.gov/press-releases/2016-05-03/deal-issues-2016-veto-statements says that because Heller said schools could be sensitive places, then students should be "shielded from weapons."

How do you address this "concern?"

It is impossible to comply with it and have campus carry.

"That college campuses should be a "gun free zone" is a concept that has deep roots in Georgia . . ." Word for word quote. How do you comply with that or address it to the satisfaction of the Governor. You cannot.

The other concerns he raised prior to veto but AFTER passage were intended only to try and keep the bill from coming to his desk.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, if Lt. Gov. Cagle already knows that Gov. Deal is hell-bent on not signing a campus carry bill, what could he possible do?

Could it be within Cagle's power to advocate for a no-compromise bill, and then advocate for a veto-override?

If he does, I can guarantee you we'd get that into law in spite of Deal's veto.

Will it happen?

Does Cagle honestly want our support when he runs for Governor?

I personally despise Cagle for what he's done in the past to us, but if he does the above I guarantee you, he'd have my vote.

For one thing, the veto message https://gov.georgia.gov/press-releases/2016-05-03/deal-issues-2016-veto-statements says that because Heller said schools could be sensitive places, then students should be "shielded from weapons."

How do you address this "concern?"

It is impossible to comply with it and have campus carry.

"That college campuses should be a "gun free zone" is a concept that has deep roots in Georgia . . ." Word for word quote. How do you comply with that or address it to the satisfaction of the Governor. You cannot.

The other concerns he raised prior to veto but AFTER passage were intended only to try and keep the bill from coming to his desk.

1 - 20 of 203 Posts