Carrying rifle at 20

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by coolhead64, Sep 9, 2007.

1. coolhead64

coolhead64 Guest

So the way I read the laws, i can carry a loaded rifle in my car as long as it is in plain sight?

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

3. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Sorry for the thread hijack, anyway this got me thinking (I know scary LOL).

Say you were walking around town with a rifle/shotgun in a rose box like Arnold did in the movie Terminator. Is this legal with or without a GFL?

4. ThetaReactor

ThetaReactor Active Member

I don't believe there's any provision for legally concealing a long arm.

5. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Let's see:

A shotgun or rifle is definately a firearm. If a shotgun or rifle is concealed then it is obviously a "concealable firearm."

From my reading, it looks like you can carry a concealed rifle or shotgun with a GFL.

6. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

And now to tie this in with the original post.

Why can't you carry a concealed long gun in your car if you have the GFL?
    Long guns are firearm and if they are concealed they are "concealable firearms."

The law says "pistol, revolver, or firearm.." If a firearm isn't a pistol and isn't a revolver, it must be a long gun. This seems to indicate that the legislature meant for long guns to be included.

This is why I don't believe that you have to leave a long gun in plain sight if you have a GFL.

7. ThetaReactor

ThetaReactor Active Member

Hmm. So it does. I guess I hafta get a 12ga Super Shorty before trench coat weather comes around again... :twisted:

8. coolhead64

coolhead64 Guest

sorry, i meant to include this in the post, i am only 20, does this have any effect, of course, i dont know how well i will fare with a loaded rifle just laid in the back seat,

9. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

What if you put your rifles in a case to go to the range?

I'm looking at getting a tennis racket case for the underfolder... I heard they fit in those and it occurs to me that might be a nice way to hide it at home.

10. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

(d) This Code section shall not forbid the transportation of any firearm by a person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a license under Code Section 16-11-129, provided the firearm is enclosed in a case, unloaded, and separated from its ammunition. This Code section shall not forbid any person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a license under Code Section 16-11-129 from transporting a loaded firearm in any private passenger motor vehicle in an open manner and fully exposed to view or in the glove compartment, console, or similar compartment of the vehicle; provided, however, that any person in possession of a valid permit issued pursuant to Code Section 16-11-129 may carry a handgun in any location in a motor vehicle.

Although it does not appear to specifically outlaw a loaded firearm in plain view. This subsection is just talking about what the law does not do.

11. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

So I can mount an 870 or an AR under the trunklid of my car? Sweet!!!

12. coolhead64

coolhead64 Guest

well that counts me out as i can get a license do to being under 21

13. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

How long do you have to go?

14. coolhead64

coolhead64 Guest

till june, but i am supposed to start a job as a jail officer on the 24th, so by the time i turn 21, i will probably be going to Certified peace officer traning,