Carrying On the Road

Discussion in 'Georgia In the News' started by ejmoosa, Nov 11, 2010.

1. ejmoosa

ejmoosa Member

I am not certain if this has ever been suggested. So I apologize in advance if it has.

While traveling this week across the southeast, I thought how valuable it would be if, when crossing the state lines, I could stop at a rest area, go in and pick up the current rules for carrying in that particular state.

So, is there an opportunity for Georgia Carry to get our rules summarized and made into a pamphlet that could be stocked at the Welcome Centers along with some of the other materials that are stocked there?

To be able to get a copy of the carry laws as you entered each state would certainly be a plus in my eyes.

Any thoughts?

EJ

2. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

May have to be placed on the outside of the buildings in GA. :sly:

3. markhk

markhk New Member

Many cell phones let you read your email or surf the web. I am too old and ornery to understand these devices, but GCO could do a law look up for dummies and show how to email it to yourself from their page. Something like "laws in English" would be helpfull.

4. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Why? It's perfectly legal to carry into the building now.

5. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

A jab at the posts regarding carry in Rest Areas (and other public owned buildings) saying they may still be illegal because they are simply government buildings. A couple LEOs suggested that any Government owned (hence public owned) building is off limits.

The post is located at viewtopic.php?f=17&t=49294 and if you don't want to read the whole thing, the last couple pages should explain the debate pretty well.

6. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

I had followed that thread. Most of us realize that ownership does not constitute a "government entity" being present. I have a lot of respect for "legacy", and "SheriffOconee", but some of what they said seems to be extreme interpretation. I believe "MP" has a healthier interpretation. Now, if there is a government employee in the rest stop handing out maps and such, the line is gray. If there's nobody there, it's simply a rest stop, owned by the state.

--"Government Entity" means an office, agency, authority, department, commission, board, body, division, instrumentality, or institution of the state or any county, municipal corporation, consolidated government, or local board of education within this state (This part of the law is kind of vague depending on who exactly is included regarding an "office" or "department" as to where they are "housed" or "occupied". The meaning most favorable to a person charged with violating this law (which is the way a court should rule) is limited to the location that contains the person that is in charge of the entire entity. Example: Your local tax office has 3 locations (all publicly owned) where you can make payments, the county tax commissioner is housed in building A and is off-limits, buildings b and c are not off limits because they do not house the Office of the tax commissioner. The meaning least favorable to a person charged with violating this law (which is a way police and prosecutors could interpret it and a court might rule) includes any location where an employee operates out of. Example: Your local tax office has 3 locations (all publicly owned) where you can make payments, all 3 locations are off limits. This does not include a blanket ban on all publicly owned buildings since the law says that a publicly owned building is only off-limits if an entity is housed or meets in the building).

It seems we all must decide which interpretation of "government entity" fits our own understanding of the law. I will continue to carry into public buildings that do not house an "entity" under the first definition.

7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I agree that Georgia's gun laws should be summarized down to what would fit on one sheet of paper or a typical tri-folded pamphlet.
    The main points of the law could be paraphrased and the obscure exceptions that are unlikely to apply to most casual gun owners "just passing through" should be omitted.
    Any gun law that is not capable of being briefly summarized should be mentioned like this:
    "If you bring a gun near a school or college, there are many different ways the law might treat this depending on your circumstances. Please see O.C.G.A. 16-11-127.1"
    The pamphlet should have a disclaimer to say that it is NOT the law, and not even a complete and accurate summary of the law. It is only a partial and incomplete summary of some parts of the law that we (the producers of the pamphlet) think are most worthy of your attention.
    And of course the pamphlet should have a coupon in it, offering a one-year membership in Georgiacarry.org for only $15 !!!