Carrying On Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by Madd Hersh, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Madd Hersh

Madd Hersh Guest

Ok We all know what the rule/law on carrying in a vehicle but what about a sportbike? Have anybody OC on a motorcycle before, and does the same rules apply as if you were a pedestrian?

Now if I am riding through the city of Atlanta OCing on my sportbike or on the highway next to a leo does he have the right to stop me?

If a person dont have a GFL, is it okay to have it loaded aslong it is in open view? ? ? :rotfl2:

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

The trick here is openly exposed to the view of all onlookers.

They seem to think so. I disagree. Apparently, most of this board disagrees with me.

Get your GFL to remove the issue. What are you going to do if your bike breaks down? Toss the gun in the bushes?

3. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I remember there being a thread around here somewhere, but I can't find it right now.

4. Malum Prohibitum

O.C.G.A. 16-11-126 says "outside of his . . . motor vehicle," and a motorcycle is a motor vehicle, but are you "outside" when riding it?

5. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I actually saw a guy open carrying on a motorcycle before, one of the rare times I've personally seen open carry.

The same laws seem to apply as if you were walking around open carrying with a GFL.

6. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I do not know if the officer has a "right" to stop you but good or bad, right or wrong the officer would probably be allowed to stop and "ckeck you out" if he or she wanted to and the courts would probably side with this excersize of the officers authority because of the "gun exception."

Rarely if ever have any posters on this board reported open carry harassment by LEOs in Georgia, who knows if that would be different on a motorcycle.

7. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I wouldn't recommend open carrying on a motorcycle, without a GFL, for a myriad of reasons.

8. Wiley

Wiley Guest

While riding, a tank bag with the gun in a clear map pocket on top would seem to fit the law. While stoped, gun goes in the tank bag (equivelent to glove compartment/center console) or paniers (equivelent to a trunk).

IIRC, the gun does not have to be unloaded in the glove compartment/center console or trunk.

9. Malum Prohibitum

Of course, that is rampant speculation, because there is no court case authorizing a stop based on nothing more than an openly carried, holstered pistol.

I believe it would be a blatant violation of the Fourth Amendment.

10. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Wait... that's still in effect?

11. Malum Prohibitum

12. jeepsterwannabe

jeepsterwannabe New Member

Now i am going to be purchasing a motorcycle by the end of May. I can open carry almost anywhere i go in Macon or Milledgeville, except school where i end up parking a few blocks away and walking over to the school leaving the weapon locked in the jeep. If anybody here has a bike, give me some free advice.

Inevitably I will be at a place where firearms are not allowed, such as school, is there a pannier or hard pack with a lock you think would be strong enough to lock up a gun in?

Would there be a better way to carry than just a OWB hip holster that would be more secure? (so the gun doesn't jiggle out of the holster or the holster doesnt jiggle off the belt clip)

If a man is approximately 6' 4" and around 260 lbs, is a 650cc motorcycle going to carry him comfortably? (this bike is for gas mileage purposes not racing every car within a ten mile radius)

13. Matthias777

Matthias777 New Member

A 650cc bike is going to handle you just fine, methinks. What are you riding, an SV650? For OWB holsters, there are plenty of great holsters with loops that your belt goes through (rather than having clips to worry about, although even those should be fine, really). If retention is your worry, get one with a thumb break, or better yet, a Safariland---the amount of simple retention engineering on some of those holsters is nothing short of impressive, IMHO. Another route that you could take would be a shoulder holster. Galco makes a couple, and I've heard excellent things about the shoulder holsters from Andrews Leather.

14. jeepsterwannabe

jeepsterwannabe New Member

still unsure which one i will be purchasing.... havent even decided between a cruiser or sport type....

shoulder rig....hmmm.....been looking for a reason to get one....

still need to figure out a way to lock the firearm up when i have to leave it with the bike

15. Matthias777

Matthias777 New Member

I'd go for some lockable hardbags...I still need to decide on something for my bike in that regard though.

16. Pack N Man

Pack N Man New Member

I have a Yamaha V-Star Classic 650cc, gets excellent gas mileage, is comfortable to ride and looks nice. I OC and CC and have never had a LEO stop me. I unfortunately do not have lockable saddlebags or a trunk so carrying when I have to go somewhere off limits, limits my use of the bike for work...to an extent. No biggie, I just drive the truck for these situations.

17. MC

MC New Member

If you get a Goldwing, you will have two built in saddle bags and a trunk, all lockable. I carry a PF-9 in a pocket holster, and try not to let anyone see me put it in the trunk when I can't carry it. I am always uncomfortable when I am not in direct control of it. You should get some saddle bags that lock or rig a cable that is strongly connected to the bike inside of the saddle bag, and lock the trigger guard to the cable somehow.

18. Guest

Guest Guest

I think Matthias has the right idea. The trick is to find a bike the has lockable hard bags or an aftermarket set available.

Since you haven't decided on a bike yet, here's a few things to consider.

Criuser bikes are typically outfitted with leather saddlebags. I think you will find it difficult to find hard bags for a cruiser. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Sport touring or Standard bikes will have more aftermarket or factory options for hardbags. So long as it's a newer/popular model, it shouldn't be hard to find a set.

If you do get a set of hardbags and they are big enough, you would have the option of bolting a small metal lockbox inside the saddlebag. I personally haven't tried this, but I have a friend who did. His reasoning was if someone forced their way into the saddlebag, they might walk away instead of dealing with a lockbox. He felt that most thieves are lazy, so the harder you make it the more likely they are to move on to something easier.

Another option is "under the seat" storage. Some model bikes have a generous storage area under the seat. You just need to make sure that the seat locks with a key. Some older bikes do not have a keyed seat latch.

As far as your gun being secure on a bike - it's not going to be as secure as it would be in a car. I've been lucky so far (knock on wood). I always try to park near the front of the lot instead of hidden between two cars. I'm also very careful about putting the gun in the saddlebag. I try and keep it out of sight while moving it from my person to the bike.

19. chainsaw123

chainsaw123 GPDO Supporter

OK, I ride a Yamaha Roadstar with hard bags. Hardbags being made of plastic would give me ZERO confidence of security and may even be considered one as being irresponsible as a gun owner to even think that locking it in a plastic compartment is a way to secure a deadly weapon. Anyone can get into the bag at any time and steal whatever is in there.

with that being said, you could as suggested by a previous poster, run a steel cable through the bottom of the bag and have the cable routed around one of your frame tubes so that even if they got into the bag, they would either have to cut the cable (I would use a VERY hardened cable that a standard hacksaw could not cut through easily) or they would have to saw through your frame. NOTICE I said frame and not a bolt on swingarm part. If they can just remove a bolt or two then to me that is not enough deterrent. I would NOT want MY gun stolen and used by a criminal on an innocent person just because I did not take every measure to secure it properly. I would rather make the thief cut my bike apart completely (insurance claim for me) as opposed to having an innocent person robbed or killed by my stolen gun