Carrying of NFA devices......

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by GAGunOwner, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

This Code section shall not permit, outside of his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business, the concealed carrying of a pistol, revolver, or concealable firearm by any person unless that person has on his or her person a valid license . . .

16-11-126(c)

2. Malum Prohibitum

So, since we know it is not a "revolver," then it would have to be a pistol or concealable firearm.

There are some NFA weapons that meet that definition, but I do not really think you want your MAC-11 seized as evidence. Nor would I want to face the media scrutiny or a jury to explain why 32 rounds in 1.5 seconds, nicely grouped to the torso, was necessary to stop an imminent threat. I just wouldn't trust 12 people in Fulton County to "get it," especially after the DA gets to strike anybody from the jury who owns or likes firearms.

I would not even want to face a jury of 12 people who own NFA firearms under those circumstances.

3. Malum Prohibitum

You do not, of course, violate 126 (a) by carrying such a firearm openly. Section 128 only applies to pistols and revolvers, so I do not know of any law to prohibit you from carrying openly. But, to my perspective, this is an academic question, as the circumstances would be rare indeed in which an NFA weapon would be my first choice for a defensive weapon outside my home (although a shortbarreled automatic shotgun might be a good choice for multiple home invaders :shock: ).

4. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

A few exceptions...

5. Malum Prohibitum

Re: A few exceptions...

Quite right. These weapons never much interested me, so I had frankly forgotten about them.

I think the answer is above, though. If it is a concealable firearm, then you may, but if it is not then open carry is probably your only option. Not that this last option is any different from the law in Georgia relating to a bolt action hunting rifle, just as a for instance.

6. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

The GA Gun Law in plain english was NEVER designed, written, nor intended to address federal gun law. That is why you see the disclaimer"there may be federal laws that limit the possession and carrying of dangerous weapons to only a person's home and/or place of business."
    and many other disclaimers noted throught the article. It was only written to address GA code only.

7. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Don't forget that suppressors are "firearms" under the NFA, but probably don't even qualify as weapons at all under GA law. GA prohibits hunting with a suppressor, but otherwise permits their possession and use in compliance with federal law.