Carrying handgun frame only

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by leron, Apr 28, 2017.

1. leron

leron New Member

I work with a company that makes a Glock add-on that fits in the backstrap space behind the magazine. We've found that when showing the product, it makes much more sense to see it in the firearm frame rather than loose.

I'd like to be able to show the product outside our office, but I'm worried about running afoul of the law. By my reading of Georgia code, if we removed the slide and barrel assembly, just the handgun frame would no longer qualify as a 'weapon', allowing it to be carried without a permit and into restricted areas. However, I know that federal code considers the frame to be the handgun, and I don't want to do my learning while being charged with a crime.

Does anyone have specific knowledge as to the legality of carrying just a handgun frame (no slide, barrel, magazine) without permit and/or in restricted areas (such as colleges and government buildings)? If still illegal, is there anything I could do to modify/destroy the frame to the extent that I could legally carry the grip portion of the handgun?

2. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

I dunno about ga law bit the frame is the actual gun under federal law

3. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

IIRC, if it has the serial number on it, it is a firearm and limited and restricted by law. The rest are just some kind of machine parts.

But you should talk to corporate counsel on that.

Nemo

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

By federal law, the serial numbered part of the gun is legally a gun, regardless of if the slide and barrel are present.

5. jmorriss

jmorriss Active Member

On my XD's the frame and barrel both have SN's.

6. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

yep but the frame is the gun the number being on the barrel is more for warranty stuff if you send it in they know its the original barrel for the gun

7. Marine6212

Marine6212 Active Member

could you use a blue gun?

8. leron

leron New Member

That's a great suggestion, and I would love to. Glock only sells blue guns direct to law enforcement (unless we can find someone willing to do otherwise), and they're pretty active about pursuing knock-offs, so it has been difficult to find one that is exact enough to properly fit the internals.

If you have any lead on how I could get a non-operational gen4 Glock then I would very much appreciate it.

9. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

The silence confirms, it's Yardarm Technologies.

10. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

Aren't there ATF guidelines for rendering a gun inoperable? How cost efficient would it be to buy say an old police trade in for $300 and take the steps to make it officially inoperable?

11. leron

leron New Member

Yes, I think that's a great approach. I haven't had any luck finding guidelines related to Georgia (since I can't even determine that it's illegal in the first place), but I'll see if I can find anything from the ATF. If you have any more specific info, I'd love to hear it.

Honestly, it feels like sacrilege to have to destroy a perfectly fine firearm component, but I can accept it if it's the only way to have an accurate replica and be free from legal limbo.

12. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

Why not just cut the front and rear slide lugs off the frame with a hacksaw to make the gun inoperable?

13. leron

leron New Member

Yeah, that's along the lines of what I was thinking. I was considering cutting off the entire frame in front of the trigger guard. I'm really just looking for some confidence that it would be enough, and that I won't end up having to make that argument in court.

I really don't want to destroy one of my guns and STILL get prosecuted for unlawful carry.

14. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Have you looked into AirSoft guns?

A quick call to Airsoft Atlanta @ 770-449-9991 or Email: [email protected] could likely confirm/deny if replica Glock has the same dimensions in the grip to accept your accessory.

Airsoft Atlanta, Inc.
    3280 Peachtree Corners Circle, STE C
    Norcross, GA 30092

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  15. GAfirearmsReference

GAfirearmsReference Weapons Law Booklet

Georgia law does not define a firearm as being just a frame of a firearm .
    In this regard Georgia is different from the federal government.
    Georgia does not specifically say that a fire armhas to be a functional firearm at the moment it is discovered by the authorities to be classified as a firearm. For generations, New York had such a law. That meant that carrying a nonworking or deactivated firearm was not a criminal offense in New York .

But Georgia law doesn't say, one way or the other .
    Without legal research, I'd say it's very much up in the air how much you would have to damage your firearm's frame to the point where it could no longer be described as a firearm because it is no longer something that can be used to fire cartridges.

16. GAfirearmsReference

Take a look at code section 16–11 – 124 relating to NFA weapons and how you can legally possess them.

Here are the legislature specifically approved of processing in operative weapons, and it gave examples of how to disable them. QUOTE:
    ...Any sawed-off shotgun, sawed-off rifle, machine gun, dangerous weapon, or silencer which has been modified or changed to the extent that it is inoperative. Examples of the requisite modification include weapons with their barrel or barrels filled with lead, hand grenades filled with sand, or other nonexplosive materials;

But, because the legislature only mentioned disabling a gun in the context of NFA restricted weapons, and they did not provide a similar provision in the next code sections to follow dealing with regular guns it is arguable that this was not an oversight. It is arguable that the legislature intended that there be no exception for a firearm that has been disabled.

17. GAfirearmsReference

Another idea: how about you get a carry permit and when it comes to government buildings you coordinate your arrival with the people you were visiting at that facility and the security department. Then you take it vantage of the provisions in the law that say if your gun is revealed at the security checkpoint you shall do with it what you were directed to do by the security or management at that facility .
    In your case, you would have a pre-arranged that you would receive directions that this gun frame be carried in a closed zippered or latched case while you do your business .

This wouldn't work for public schools or universities, but it would work for most Govt buildings.

18. GAfirearmsReference

If you have to go to a school to demo that gun accessory, see if you can get written permission from school officials per Code section 16-11-127.1 (C) (6).

19. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

There is what is law, and what is reality. I cannot see anyone arresting you for a bare polymer frame.