Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mods - If I posted in the wrong place, feel free to move or delete this post.

We have family in NC and travel to visit often. Unfortunately, the most direct route takes us through SC. And thus my questions.

Background - We have two vehicles - a Blazer and a HHR. For the most part, if we are in the Blazer, we are good to go. My .45 in the console, my wife's .357 in the glove box (when passing through SC). The HHR is where the problem arises. Neither the glove box or the cubby hole in the front console is big enough for my .45 so we normally just carry the .357 with two speedloaders. However, with things being what they are, I've decided to take along an extra box of ammo.

Questions -
Am I correct in believing I am in compliance of SC law -
"...
9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle;
..."

if I place the ammo in a locked gun case that is stored in the spare tire compartment under the floor board at the rear of the HHR? And that the 3 wheel combination lock built into the gun case fulfills the 'secured by an integral fastener' aspect? The case I have is aluminum and is TSA compliant for transporting on an aircraft.

Also, would that compliance be true if I put the unloaded .45 in another case separate from the ammo?

The questions arose from a discussion where a difference of opinion occured with the wording of the 'integral fastener'.

I hope for the day when laws are written so a 10 year old can read and understand without doubt.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts