Georgiapacking.org banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
13,441 Posts
Illegally if they do not secure it in a locked container. The ATF just told us at WWT that we are to start giving out a form with each firearm sold notifying the buyers that they will be in violation of the law if they do not have a carry license or do not secure the firearm. They are ok as long as they are on WWT property.
Which law? The school zone law? A carry license isn't required to keep a loaded firearm in your vehicle (OCGA 16-11-126(a)). The vast majority of gun owners don't have a carry license. Do you really think they're going to go get one just to be "legal" when driving through a school zone? I don't. And who's going to enforce this new edict? ATF certainly doesn't have the manpower.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
And who's going to enforce this new edict? ATF certainly doesn't have the manpower.
For clarity, do Georgia municipal, county or state authorities have the ability to arrest for violations of the federal "school zone bubble" ?

If a city cop determines I have a loaded pistol in my center console (this is a hypothetical until I get my carry permit) would he have to detain me until ATF or US Marshals responded, or would he be able to actually do anything about it?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Is there not a car exception to the 1000 ft school zone bubble? There is a lot about that law that should have gotten in thrown out as unconstitutional a second time.

In East Ridge, TN, one school is crammed in between businesses on the main road with densely-populated neighborhoods behind it. Under the interpretation that an out-of-state but reciprocated license (such as a GWCL) does not allow carrying within a 1000 feet, a Georgia resident couldn't get gas, go out to eat, go to Wal-Mart or CVS, or visit a friend while carrying with a GWCL in this area. Also, who measures the 1000 ft? From the edge of the property, or the front door of the school? 1000 ft from the edge of the property puts the bubble across a major road and into a huge cluster of houses. I think the the high school is just far enough away that its 1000 ft bubble would just touch an elementary school's bubble, effectively making a 2000-ft zone of exclusion.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,694 Posts
A conviction under this law is a Federal permanent ban on possessing a firearm (except black powder), unless you get a Presidential pardon.

I think a person charged, without committing any other violation, would have a good shot at the courts shutting this law down as a violation of the Second Amendment.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,694 Posts
My apologies to JRM, as it must have been someone else I was thinking of with regard to the law's analysis I posted earlier in this thread.

·
68,116 Posts
Sure, here's an ATF letter from 2013, answering a series of questions from some gun owner from Oklahoma. His first questions are about reciprocity, and the second-to-last paragraph on page 1 gives ATF's answer: NO, your Oklahoma carry permit won't help you when you travel to or near schools in other states, even if that state honors your OK carry license.

https://www.gunlaws.com/pdf/atf07252013gfsza.pdf
Thanks, gunsmoker

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
A conviction under this law is a Federal permanent ban on possessing a firearm (except black powder), unless you get a Presidential pardon.

I think a person charged, without committing any other violation, would have a good shot at the courts shutting this law down as a violation of the Second Amendment.
When you say "without committing any other violation" are you including traffic offenses?

Or is this like in North Carolina a couple decades ago where they had a sodomy law, but would only use it to enhance sentencing when a guy had also committed forcible rape?

41 - 47 of 47 Posts