carrying assault rifle on motorcycle

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by Seanmay1, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Seanmay1

Seanmay1 New Member

is there anyway i can carry my assault rifle on a motorcycle, i no longer own any cars, only motorcycles, and many times i will need to transport my weapons, for instance we go to the shooting range every weekend, and i want to take the assault rifle, can i do this without going to jail lol

2. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Just wear it on your back, you don't even need the GFL to do it.

Just be extra careful not to stop in a prohibited place.

3. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

This isn't directed at you in particular, but to us gun people in general. I just thought I'd address this here. Not trying to highjack the thread.

I don't think that it does not do the pro-gun movement any service to latch onto anti-gun buzzwords and use them.

Definitions of assault rifles:

1) This is the technical definition. An assault weapon is a select-fire rifle, chambered in an intermediate caliber.

2) The semi-auto assault rifle ban expired. Thus there is no such thing as a semi-auto "assault rifle" under Federal Law. Under current Federal law there are only MGs and semi-auto. Correct me if I'm wrong.

3) In GA law there never has been, and I pray, never will be such a legal animal as an "assault weapon."

A semi-auto AK or AR-15, is not an "assault weapon." These rifles are simply semi-auto rifles, nothing more.

Now, it could be possible that your "assault weapons" are NFA. If this is the case, please feel free to correct me.

Maybe I'm just being overly analytical with this. I just heard a report on Channel 5 tonight where the reporter called a SKS an "assault rifle" and it ticked me off.

4. Seanmay1

Seanmay1 New Member

lol well i have two semi auto AKs

5. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Lol.

I've always wanted to open carry an AK but I'm not brave enough to do it. I always thought that a motorcycle would be great for doing it. The only problem is, is that I don't know how to ride one.

6. Seanmay1

Seanmay1 New Member

well i think the police would hate me a little more riding a sport bike with a AK on my back, but if i can legally do it i will lol

7. Seanmay1

Seanmay1 New Member

also if i am approved i should have my Conceal Weapon License in a month or two, rockdale county says it will take 16 weeks, and i want to carry the AK loaded

8. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I'd expect to get stopped by the police though, depending on where you are at, it is almost guaranteed.

Remember just be polite and refrain from speeding while doing this. Follow the directions of the police. Even though you don't need it, show the officer the GFL to help ease his mind if you have one. Act confidently and know that you are legal. Don't ask him if its okay and don't act apologetic. You are doing nothing wrong. Just remember you have to let him disarm you if he wants. It appears that the police can also "run the numbers" to see if it has been reported stolen. If you want you can explain to him that you have to carry it this way because you don't own a car.

The cool part is that you can even carry it loaded. :D

Lastly, be sure that if you are pulled over you don't stop at some prohibited place like a church parking lot, resaurant that sells alcohol's parking lot, gov't parking lot, etc.

9. Seanmay1

Seanmay1 New Member

lol that would be bad, get pulled over at a church and some ass cop takes me to jail for it lol

10. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

It would probably draw a lot less attention in a soft sided case worn on the back than an open rifle.

Also, the original post may have been talking about an assault rifle, as there was no clue int he post that that he was not. It only became clear he was not after Gagunowner raised the subject.

It would not change the advice. Personally, I would carry any longarm on a motorcycle in some sort of case. I would carry a pistol openly. That is just what I would do.

HAve you ever delivered a copy of O.C.G.A. 16-11-129(d)(4) to your probate judge with the "Not later than 60 days after the date of application" language highlighted?

If you ever do, be prepared for the response.

The judge will inevitably argue that he is entitled to wait on required reports of your backgfround check. When he does, no commentary is necessary. Simply hand him a second copy of O.C.G.A. 16-11-129(d)(4) (yes, the exact same subsection) with a different sentence highlighted. The one that says, "When no derogatory information is found on the applicant bearing on his or her eligibility to obtain a license or renewal license, a report shall not be required."

11. Malum Prohibitum

If you are interested, a fuller explanation is here.

12. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Active Member

I forgot to mention

Back over the past summer when my work would take me donw by the airport, I was driving on Camp Creek Parkway going to one of my jobs. A guy dressed in a green shirt and blue jeans zing by me on a motorcycle. To my amazement, as he overtook my vehicle, he had a rifle strapped onto his back. I followed him towards the airport, but he turned off on Enon Road and I just kept on going.

I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. I have never seen anyone open carry a rifle on their motorcycle. I don't even see people driving pickups with firearm racks anymore.

13. Malum Prohibitum

Re: I forgot to mention

Because it will get stolen!

14. Seanmay1

Seanmay1 New Member

yea it probably would, i use to keep the AK in my cutlass, but i have 5% tint so its not really possible to see what is in the car, but i am going to print out the laws mentioned a little earlier and take them to the judge maybe it will work

15. Malum Prohibitum

You can get the official version by typing "Georgia General Assembly" into Google, clicking on the link, then click on "Georgia Code" at the bottom of the page. That will send you to the new Lexis link. Type "16-11-129" into the box, and you will get the statute.

Sorry for the long explanation, but this is the only way to get to the General Assembly's Code now that they changed the provider.

This change caused quite a headache to the owner of this site.

16. Malum Prohibitum

You didn't find that using my directions! :D

No, that is the law as it existed prior to July 1, 2006. It has been amended.

17. Seanmay1

Seanmay1 New Member

i did like u said and didn't see it lol, it might just be my error not seeing it, but i did just wake up lol so im still half asleep i cant really see yet, if u have a link to the new one i would appreciate it

18. Malum Prohibitum

We can't link to the new one anymore - that's the problem.

Go here. http://www.legis.state.ga.us/

On the bottom row, there is a link called "Georgia Code." If you click on it, you will go to the Lexis box.

I can't link you past that point, but you can get the updated on there.

19. Malum Prohibitum