Carrying a SBR

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by rankhornjp, Dec 27, 2010.

1. rankhornjp

rankhornjp Active Member

I know there has been discussion about the gap between the definition of a "handgun" and a "long gun", but I haven't seen a discussion on carrying a SBR with a barrel shorter than 12 inches. Technically, it's a rifle and is registered as one. I think, for most of us, "long gun" = "rifle" and the law states that:
    So, at first glance, it seems that one could carry a SBR without a license. However, GA law says its a "handgun":

Notice it doesn't have the "designed to be fired from one hand" language in it. 16-11-125.1 goes on to define "weapon":

Then 16-11-126 says:

So after looking at it a bit, it seems that you CAN'T carry a SBR without a license. (unless the barrel is longer than 12 inches). I can see how this would be confusing for others, who don't sit around debating this kind of thing.

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Ditto, it seems that a SBR is no longer a "rifle" when it comes to carrying one away from your home, your vehicle, your job, the target range, or the hunting fields.

This is similiar to the problem that SB 308 created for the carry of large knives, with blades over 5".

They are now defined as "weapons" and you need a GWL to carry them openly. And all the exceptions and exemptions in the law that would say you don't need a GWL in various circumstances all talk about "handguns" and "rifles". They don't mention "weapons" or "knives" so that means a GWL is more important for knife-toters than it is for pistol-packers!

3. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

Unless the world is ending, why would you want to walk around with an SBR? Don't get me wrong, I think you should have the right to do so, but...why would you *want* to? The only reason I could see would be if you are prohibited person from getting a GWL, in which case I applaud your ingenuity. :wink:

4. rankhornjp

rankhornjp Active Member

I drive a really old truck (1967) and the doors don't lock on it. Sometimes (I try not to do it at all) I end up having to make an unscheduled stop and need to carry my "rifle" with me to keep it from being stolen. I have a GFL, but was wondering if this affected other people besides me.

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

One solution is to get rid of the license requirement for openly carried weapons, like most of the nation, instead of Georgia being like New Jersey and only eleven other states that require a license to carry weapons openly.

Let's get rid of the Jim Crow law requiring a license for carrying openly.

http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/wp-cont ... n-laws.pdf <---- Relevant reading starts on page 5. :wink:

6. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

:applause: :righton:

I agree. If one wants to carry a firearm, any firearm, SBR, Long rifle, shotgun, pistol, whatever in an openly and fully loaded manner, I see no reason that they should need a license for it. Of course, I wouldn't mind not needing it for concealed, either, and then having a license for state reciprocity only, and to cover the 1,000 ft federal rule on schools. Other than that, I believe the 2nd amendment does and should apply to the states, and that "shall not be infringed..... PERIOD" means exactly that. :D

I'm just not a big fan of our current government forcing us to pay a tax to carry any firearm in public in anyway that the citizen feels is best. I'm also not a big fan of the Draconian gun laws that our current make-believe state governments enforce on us National subjects, either.

Also to add, I'm just one of those crazy nutcases that believe in actually freedom and liberty, envisioned by our forefathers, and written into the Constitution, and I believe the Supreme Court and some of their justices has gotten this very very wrong.

"Shall not be infringed" should not, and cannot be construed to mean "We will allow some reasonable restrictions to." Only a batcrap crazy liberal government indoctrinated baboon could ever read the first quote, and come to a logical conclusion that it means the second quote.

7. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Or a government that doesn't care and wants to exercise control over it's citizens instead of it's citizens having control over that government.

8. gunsmoke50

gunsmoke50 New Member

I knew this would happen to the rifles but everyone supported 308 which I had a very much issue about any rifles you would need a GWL for them so people that supported 308 on this board should have read the fine print on the SBR's.Before you could carry a SBR openly without a GFL but need the tax stamp that's all. I'm ready to get the GWL gone and let's be like AZ best state ever to carry. Edit this IPhone is acting crazy sorry with spell check sorry

9. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

:? :lol:

10. drtybykr

drtybykr New Member

WTF? You saw that too :lol:

11. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

I've been looking at it for several minutes. Still not sure what to make of it. :shattered:

12. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Yeah, SB308 messed up the carrying of SBRs and the carrying of loaded concealed long-guns unless I'm missing something. :?

13. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Kinda makes you happy we don't have custom karma titles, doesn't it? :lol: :lol:

14. gunsmoke50

gunsmoke50 New Member

Sorry about that didn't proof read this IPhone has been acting up on me when I seen that word o no so pls don't ban me lol, my computer crashed on me so only thing I have to the net is these crazy thing.

15. dunkel

dunkel New Member

Yeah, man, the iPhone autocorrect can give you some crazy results sometimes, lol.

Anyway...I just noticed this...

Wait...wait? So a single shot .45 pistol is not a handgun and is unregulated as far as carrying it goes?

16. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

.45 cm or .45 in?
    Can't speak to a .17 HMR...

17. dunkel

dunkel New Member

Ooops, you're right. I don't math good. Yeah, that would be a .17 pistol...

18. gunsmoke50

gunsmoke50 New Member

Well SBR's I thought before was like any other rifle am I right or wrong but only issue was that you must have a tax stamp pre bill 308. But now you need a GWL for it crazy. I keep a load AR concealed in my backset of my truck just a backup need but it's not SBR and if I pull the Ar out of the vehicle loaded without a GWL on a public highway for say a defense uses its legal but you pull out a SBR now without GWL you go to jail that's messed up and it's the same gun but shorten barrel.

19. Ashe

Ashe Active Member

Single shot means one projectile the way I read it. The only pistol i know of that doesn't discharge a single "shot" is a Taurus Judge. And that because it can fire .410 shells.
    So a Semi-Auto .17 Pistol would be legal to carry without a License IMHO.
    http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=57&category=Revolver&toggle=tr&breadcrumbseries=FH2
    [​IMG]

20. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Talked to my State Rep about that very subject this morning.