carry with round in pipe?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by vanguard, Dec 29, 2010.

1. vanguard

vanguard New Member

a few people have said it is not safe to carry loaded ready to fire, my carry gun for now is my tokarev 7.62x25mm i feel safe carrying it with one in the pipe then all i have to do is draw and pull the hammer back, i do not feel safe if i had to draw then rack. am i wrong? :oops:

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

To answer this question you need to know about the internal mechanics of how the TT-33 Tokarev is designed.

Is the firing pin long enough to reach the primer with the hammer down, or does the firing pin need to be moving fast (the kind of speed only a hammer strike could supply) and by its own inertia does it reach far enough to hit the primer?

Does the hammer rest on the firing pin when carrying hammer-down?

If the gun falls on the hammer or on the muzzle, will the hammer be mashed against the firing pin? Will the firing pin move, or is there a safety device that blocks it from moving unless the trigger is pulled?

I know you don't plan on dropping your gun, but you HAVE TO consider that possibility. If you don't have a gun that's drop-safe, don't carry it chamber-loaded.

3. BWCustoms

BWCustoms New Member

People who don't carry a round in the pipe just want to justify their own fears.

Really they shouldnt be carrying at all if they are that uncomfortable with guns.

4. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

Edited: After looking at the posts below mine, Condition 3. Train Israeli style. Draw, rack, shoot.

5. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

6. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/50491- ... age-2.html

7. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

Why are you carrying a Tokarev to begin with, is it your only choice? There are much better pistols out there, even in the same price range. You'd probably be better off with a Hi-Point, the Tokarev is not well designed for a civilian defensive pistol.

8. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

He's made no secrets about being unemployed for a long while (now working again). Money flow isn't on his side right now.

9. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

"Broomhandle" is our resident expert on that firearm. If he says it's not a safe carry, with a round chambered, that's enough for me. You might send him a PM, if he doesn't soon jump in here.

The debate over whether to carry chambered or not is old in this forum, so you might also edit your thread title to include the TT-33. You'll get more attention.

10. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Self and family protection is not a luxury but a necessity. If I had to sell my guns for any reason, I'd always be left with one good one. Use a credit card man if you have to, to get something more safe. The Tok is not carry friendly.

11. BWCustoms

BWCustoms New Member

Telling someone who is broke to use a credit card is just bad advice all around.

The better solution would be to go to local pawn shops and find something carry friendly for a hundred bucks - like an older revolver or something.

12. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Great advice here! You might find a trade straight across. I know too that there may be some sympathetic value for the TT-33, as the OP had another thread that it was gifted to him by a family member. If that's the case, learn to rack that slide well, and be patient. We've all been there. Good luck, and be safe.

13. Phil1979

It was not an absolute, if you read my post carefully. I said if he had to. And even then, I didn't say he had to buy something new, or that he couldn't shop at a pawn shop, or do a trade. Being broke and using a credit card is a whole lot better than being vulnerable to crime. There is no comparison. Now, I'll let y'all get back to producing the Dave Ramsey show. He's wondering where you went. :lol:

14. Phil1979

Hey Vanguard, tell you what. Set up a paypal account, and post your link here. I'll donate $20 to helping you get a better firearm. And I'll challenge everyone here (at least those who post in your thread) to match or better it.

Phil

15. BWCustoms

BWCustoms New Member

I dun told on myself :shattered: Yea - I dont have any credit cards :shattered:

16. vanguard

vanguard New Member

THANK YOU BROTHER, people seem to think we all have money to spend on guns.

17. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

Maybe someone closer to you would do a temporary trade with you until you can get a carry piece of your own. If you plan on making it down to Savannah anytime soon I would trade you a Makarov (much more carry friendly Russian gun) for your Tok, and when you were ready we could swap back. Or maybe there is someone else closer who could do something similar. You get to keep your dad's gun in the long run, but get something better suited to SD in the short term.

18. vanguard

vanguard New Member

i have a gun i want to buy , it is a rossi 38 special at academy sports for $259.00. i would gladly sell my tokarev with a nice soft case, and a box of 50 rounds of ammo, and a uncle mikes holster, and a extra mag, and a houge slip on grip all for 250.00 frim.

19. vanguard

vanguard New Member

ok i put up my tokarev for sale so i can get the Rossi 38 special i want. :righton:

20. Savvy Jack

Savvy Jack Banned

I thought folks smoked a pipe and chambered a round? :screwy: