Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a few people have said it is not safe to carry loaded ready to fire, my carry gun for now is my tokarev 7.62x25mm i feel safe carrying it with one in the pipe then all i have to do is draw and pull the hammer back, i do not feel safe if i had to draw then rack. am i wrong? :oops:

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,700 Posts
To answer this question you need to know about the internal mechanics of how the TT-33 Tokarev is designed.

Is the firing pin long enough to reach the primer with the hammer down, or does the firing pin need to be moving fast (the kind of speed only a hammer strike could supply) and by its own inertia does it reach far enough to hit the primer?

Does the hammer rest on the firing pin when carrying hammer-down?

If the gun falls on the hammer or on the muzzle, will the hammer be mashed against the firing pin? Will the firing pin move, or is there a safety device that blocks it from moving unless the trigger is pulled?

I know you don't plan on dropping your gun, but you HAVE TO consider that possibility. If you don't have a gun that's drop-safe, don't carry it chamber-loaded.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
People who don't carry a round in the pipe just want to justify their own fears.

Really they shouldnt be carrying at all if they are that uncomfortable with guns.

·
Banned
7,204 Posts
Edited: After looking at the posts below mine, Condition 3. Train Israeli style. Draw, rack, shoot.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts
Every time I see a thread suggesting the use of a TTC/TT33 as a carry gun, I feel compelled to suggest NOT doing this.

Firstly, as discussed, the safety is NOT safe.
The sights leave quite a bit to be desired.
Some surplus ammo has hard primers which do not go off on the first trigger pull.
The over penetration of 7.62x25 is seriously unsafe should you need to use it.
Hollow point ammo is expensive, rare and questionable in reliability for this gun.
There is no firing pin safety which means if you have a round chambered and drop or bang the gun hard enough, it will go off.
With an 8 round capacity, you may as well carry a revolver, 1911 or anything else.

They are fun range toys, but buy a reliable and SAFE gun for carrying purposes.
http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/50491- ... age-2.html

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Why are you carrying a Tokarev to begin with, is it your only choice? There are much better pistols out there, even in the same price range. You'd probably be better off with a Hi-Point, the Tokarev is not well designed for a civilian defensive pistol.

·
Banned
7,204 Posts
MrMorden said:
Why are you carrying a Tokarev to begin with, is it your only choice? There are much better pistols out there, even in the same price range. You'd probably be better off with a Hi-Point, the Tokarev is not well designed for a civilian defensive pistol.
He's made no secrets about being unemployed for a long while (now working again). Money flow isn't on his side right now.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
"Broomhandle" is our resident expert on that firearm. If he says it's not a safe carry, with a round chambered, that's enough for me. You might send him a PM, if he doesn't soon jump in here.

The debate over whether to carry chambered or not is old in this forum, so you might also edit your thread title to include the TT-33. You'll get more attention.

·
Member Georgia Carry
12,001 Posts
Self and family protection is not a luxury but a necessity. If I had to sell my guns for any reason, I'd always be left with one good one. Use a credit card man if you have to, to get something more safe. The Tok is not carry friendly.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Telling someone who is broke to use a credit card is just bad advice all around.

The better solution would be to go to local pawn shops and find something carry friendly for a hundred bucks - like an older revolver or something.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
DJGibb said:
Telling someone who is broke to use a credit card is just bad advice all around.

The better solution would be to go to local pawn shops and find something carry friendly for a hundred bucks - like an older revolver or something.
Great advice here! You might find a trade straight across. I know too that there may be some sympathetic value for the TT-33, as the OP had another thread that it was gifted to him by a family member. If that's the case, learn to rack that slide well, and be patient. We've all been there. Good luck, and be safe.

·
Member Georgia Carry
12,001 Posts
DJGibb said:

It was not an absolute, if you read my post carefully. I said if he had to. And even then, I didn't say he had to buy something new, or that he couldn't shop at a pawn shop, or do a trade. Being broke and using a credit card is a whole lot better than being vulnerable to crime. There is no comparison. Now, I'll let y'all get back to producing the Dave Ramsey show. He's wondering where you went. :lol:

·
Member Georgia Carry
12,001 Posts
Hey Vanguard, tell you what. Set up a paypal account, and post your link here. I'll donate $20 to helping you get a better firearm. And I'll challenge everyone here (at least those who post in your thread) to match or better it.

Phil

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Phil1979 said:
DJGibb said:

It was not an absolute, if you read my post carefully. I said if he had to. And even then, I didn't say he had to buy something new, or that he couldn't shop at a pawn shop, or do a trade. Being broke and using a credit card is a whole lot better than being vulnerable to crime. There is no comparison. Now, I'll let y'all get back to producing the Dave Ramsey show. He's wondering where you went. :lol:
I dun told on myself :shattered: Yea - I dont have any credit cards :shattered:

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
JiG said:
MrMorden said:
He's made no secrets about being unemployed for a long while (now working again). Money flow isn't on his side right now.
THANK YOU BROTHER, people seem to think we all have money to spend on guns.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Maybe someone closer to you would do a temporary trade with you until you can get a carry piece of your own. If you plan on making it down to Savannah anytime soon I would trade you a Makarov (much more carry friendly Russian gun) for your Tok, and when you were ready we could swap back. Or maybe there is someone else closer who could do something similar. You get to keep your dad's gun in the long run, but get something better suited to SD in the short term.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i have a gun i want to buy , it is a rossi 38 special at academy sports for $259.00. i would gladly sell my tokarev with a nice soft case, and a box of 50 rounds of ammo, and a uncle mikes holster, and a extra mag, and a houge slip on grip all for 250.00 frim.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok i put up my tokarev for sale so i can get the Rossi 38 special i want. :righton:

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
I thought folks smoked a pipe and chambered a round? :screwy:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts