Carry with Round Chambered? Likely Should!

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Nemo, May 5, 2017.

1. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

From an email I get from VCDL.org . They will have no problem me sharing this here.

Nemo

2. Myright

Myright Freedom Loving Citizen

Well said...That's why I carry in condition 0, always!

3. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

There should not be much of a learning curve with most handguns.

4. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Based on? That sounds slightly speculative to me...

5. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

Zero? Not one?

6. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

I think condition zero is chambered, hammer back, and safety off. :shock:

7. Myright

Correct...

No sense in fiddling with the safety when drawing, as long as it's in the holster, it's safe from discharging.

I carry a Tokarev, which is much like a 1911.

Heck, anyone carrying a Glock with one in the chamber is condition 0 as well.

8. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

Carry as you wish but in my opinion that is a dangerous was to carry a pistol.
    While I wouldn't ever carry any handgun that way myself, the comparison with a 1911 is also not quite correct as the 1911 at least has a grip safety, the Tokarev does not... I still wouldn't carry a 1911 that way either and it's a much safer gun than the Tokarev.

Incorrect. When a Glock has a bullet chambered, the firing pin is held in a semi-cocked position, when you pull the trigger you complete the cocking of the firing pin and then it releases when the trigger completes the stroke. It also has a safety in the trigger which helps prevent a negligent discharge which the Tokarev does not.

Just saying...

:soapbox:

9. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Yeah, I wouldn't carry a true single-action automatic without any passive safeties, and without engaging the manual safety.
    I think that's negligent.
    If you fumble with it or drop it and it goes off and shoots some innocent person, you'll probably be looking at criminal charges, not just a wrongful death lawsuit.

See O.C.G.A. 16-5-20 (reckless conduct, a misdemeanor if it just involves endangering people and exposing them to unjustified risks),

and see 16-5-3, involuntary manslaughter, when your unlawful and unsafe offense causes the death of somebody. 10-year felony.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  10. Nemo

The only thing I go zero with a double action wheelie. With the long trigger pull I consider it safe. Try it in a single action and you will soon be known as hopalong.

Requiring just a trigger pull in an autoloader is (imho) unsafe and irresponsible. A thumb flip on the safety while doing the draw and aim is a much better way to go.

Nemo

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  11. AtlPhilip

Confused. Zero is hammer back, safety off. Exactly what you describe next.

Glocks have no thumb safety.

12. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

And I thought Condition 1 was living on the edge........

The Russian TT-33 and its variants, Polish, Chinese, Romanian Yugo (zestava made) etc. Were imported en mass but they were designed with a half cock safety only. Import restrictions required that a thumb safety be added before they could be sold in the US. I think the consensus is that the thumb safeties are cheesy and the half cock safety is not safe if dropped with a round in the chamber (condition one).

The Yugo or Zestava model in the M57 is a little different. It has a longer handle and holds 9 rounds instead of 8. The confusion is that the M57 falls in the with the group above. However, Zestava still makes the M57A chambered in 7.62x25 and it has a real factory installed safety. I would say if you have this model then it should be as safe as any other to carry in condition 1, but without the safety engaged they are not viewed as "drop safe" at all.

13. Nemo

Quote:
    On double action wheels. Hammer down, chamber live, squeeze (enough) it goes boom. That is zero.

Single action wheelies require cocking prior to discharge. That requires shooter thumb input. That is not condition zero.

Single action with hammer down is 1. Hammer cocked it zero.

Dealing with wheeiles Zero is pull trigger-- goes boom. Have to cock it the squeeze to get boom, condition 1.

Nemo

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  14. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

What condition would it be if it were a DA revolver carried with the hammer back?
    Less than zero?

15. AtlPhilip

Technically, yes. But there is a world of difference between a DA trigger stroke and a semi trigger stroke. I would argue that the action of releasing the safety is replaced by the 11# hammer draw stroke.

On that we agree.

On this we do not agree for the reasons stated above. Furthermore, I have never heard of a Glock referred to as Condition 0, only condition one. I suspect that is because of the drawstroke, which is MUCH shorter than a DA revolver.

If you said a DA revolver, hammer down was C1 and a glock was C0 I would tend to agree.

For reference:

16. Nemo

Its condition stupid unless its also condition sights on target.

Nemo

17. Nemo

Both take a long squeeze only to fire. Thats should make both same condition. But then again, a wheelie and semi?

HHMMMM, similar situation. Long stroke of trigger makes equal a plastic fantastic and a True gun of the wheel. On this thinking must be done to receive enlightenment.

Meditation I must do. Knowledge I must seek.

Nemo

18. AtlPhilip

A Glock does not take a long (or heavy) squeeze to fire. Stroke is 1/2in, pull is 5.5#. Compare that to 8.5# and 3/4" for an average revolver.

19. Myright

The only time I'd ever pull it out of the holster with the safety off is if I were in a situation where I was actually going to shoot at an attacker.
    If I fumbled with it or dropped it with the safety on, there would be a good chance that I wouldn't have the opportunity to recover it to defend myself anyway, so your FEAR of such a scenario is slim and simply a "what if" situation that isn't justifiable enough to change how I presently carry.

I've test dropped my handgun while it was seated in the holster from hip level with dummy rounds and it has never discharged.