Carry Sword

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by NetAdminWithGun, Apr 24, 2007.

1. NetAdminWithGun

NetAdminWithGun New Member

Can i carry a sword? Concealed? Open?

I want to dress like a knight and go to walmart. Just wondering :)

Or me and YuN will go as 3 musketeers.

You call that a knife? *Draws Long Sword*

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

3. NetAdminWithGun

does concealed mean a shealth?

So i would have to thread it through my belt loop, hmmm, and exposed blade could be dangerous.

4. Totenkopf

Totenkopf New Member

And what if the sheath was in the shape of a cane?

5. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Why stop at a sword. It appears as if a mace, axe or 2x4 with rusty nail is legal. Better yet...what about a bow and a quiver full of arrows?

I have seen people carrying golf clubs when there is no golf course within 5 miles... let alone within walking distance. Whatever you can get away with for self-defense.

Hell, take it 10 steps further. I don't see a law against carrying a crossbow to a public gathering. Anyone want to be the test case? It's better than nothing. Poison tipped darts? I don't see a prohibition against that either. Carried openly and exposed to view.

6. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I carry multiple swords to the Ren Fest every year.

A 4-foot Scottish claymore across my back for a right-hand draw (RAZOR SHARP, and weighs about 30 pounds), 2 16-inch leaf swords on my belt, and multiple daggers.

All of this over a kilt, thigh-high boots, a loose shirt, chainmail vest, a sash in the same tartan as the kilt, a sporran, leather arm guards, and, of course, the most important part of the armory: the 48 oz. flagon.

Of course, they require that I peace-tie all the weapons before I enter, but a piece of yarn over that claymore isn't gonna stop me from drawing it and doing some serious damage if I really want to.

Interesting note, you can carry any "historical" weapons you want to without any problems, as long as they're inspected and peace-tied, but since it's a public gathering, you can't come near it with a handgun.

As if anyone with a handgun is gonna be able to commit any kind of crime with people with 4-foot long swords walking around.

7. merlock

merlock New Member

Hmmm...remember that scene from Indiana Jones? :twisted:

8. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

None of that stuff you've seen on Highlander!!!

9. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

According to the Attorney General opinion on public gatherings, he says that the public gathering prohibition applies to ANY deadly weapon and that the statute is not just limited to firearms.

What else is a deadly weapon you ask?

Swords
    Knives
    Bows and Arrows
    Any type of Bludgeon.
    There is even a court case where the court found that a broom handle was a deadly weapon.
    Even a stun gun or Taser over 20k volts could be considered a a deadly weapon because in 3 different statutes those are classified as firearms.

10. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Cars are deadly weapons.

11. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

Actually you are carrying a deadly weapon to a public gathering. The only reason you're not being arrested and prosecuted is because you are notifying security personel of the presence of such item and securing the item as directed by them. (which is located in subsection (d) of 16-11-127) You can bet your butt that if you remove your peace-tie while at the renfest that you could be slapped with a public gathering violation because then you would have no affirmative defense since you didn't secure the weapon as directed by the security personel.

12. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Reason number 532343532 that the public gathering law is absolutely ridiculous and needs to GO!

13. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

so is chuck norris's beard.

14. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

Don't lie. You know that you are going to skip the IDPA match so you guys can dress up for a Dugeons and Dragons roleplaying game this Saturday. You are only going to WalMart for some black lipstick and some tights to match your "battle gear." :lol: Gosh, you computer dorks are so predictable. :twisted:

I mean do you want me to tell everybody how you showed up at last months match dressed like Neo from the Matrix? :shock:

Don't be mad....I've been waiting to pay you back for telling everyone about the mag incident. :D

15. NetAdminWithGun

Dont think you are, know you are.

I'm bringing my shades for eye protection this time, so NEO all the way.

and i haven't mentioned the mag thing in like a week.

And i dont fit in with the other computer nerds in my department, they dont believe in carring a gun. They play D&D, i play battlefield 2 :)

16. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

I know, I have been plotting my revenge for over three weeks. This was the perfect post on which to strike!!!! :twisted:

"Victory shall be mine!"

17. NetAdminWithGun

Well i hope to see you tommarow morning, I'm going by my self this time.

I'm bringing a couple spare mags in case you need something to throw :)

18. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

That's ok. I will have four on me. 8)