Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how do you all carry your 1911. What i mean is what condition do you carry it.I am asking because i carried my Glock with one in the pipe but am a little cautious to do it with a 1911. I am worried about the ambi safety getting knocked off.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I OC in a CompTac Minotaur and have never had a problem in condition 1.

·
Registered
282 Posts
If the safety on your 1911 gets knocked off congrats, you have your Glock back.

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
Condition 1 - all day, every day. My shoulder and OWB holsters have a thumb break as and added safety measure, but in attempting to snap them closed I'm pushing down on the ambi-safety on the left side of the gun and have to be carefully not to disengage the safety. My IWB has no thumb break. Never had an issue with carry condition 1 in any of the holsters. To many people it may seem weird seeing that hammer back, but it isn't an issue and is a lot better than trying to rack the slide when there is no time....

·
Registered
758 Posts
Remember a 1911, in proper working order, both the thumb safety and the grip safety have got to be disengaged before it can fire. Also keep that booger hook out of the trigger guard and there's nothing too worry about.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
As said earlier, Condition 1 all the time. Safety off, grip safety squeezed and trigger pulled to make it go bang. Unless all three are done, no bang.

No worries with a 1911.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
if you manage to knock the thumb safety off... it is still a safe weapon as many have said. the original design did not have a thumb safety as the grip safety and a brain are enough... the military made browning put one in.

I keep my 1911 in con 1 all the time and never have a worrisome thought.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Beating a dead horse, but condition 1. A 1911 is not designed to carry hammer down. In my opinion, the 1911 platform is one of the safest handguns out there for the simple fact that it has a grip safety. And to fire, it requires a good high grip on the gun, which is essential for recoil control. JMB was a genious ahead of his time. Anyone that says the 1911 is outdated, needs to consider the reason it has been around for almost 100 years. BTW try the Blackhawk serpa holster. its a great retention system and you wont have to worry about it hitting the ambi saftey. If you arent left handed you could just replace the ambi saftey with a standard thumb safety.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Condition 1, despite a certain member of my family's ignorance.

"It's dangerous to keep one in the tube, it takes two seconds to rack the slide."

I don't even bother arguing with him. If i wanted to carry a paperweight, I'd carry a rock.

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
Pandashire said:
COMMANDER1911 said:
Anyone that says the 1911 is outdated
The 1911 is outdated
Well, if the 1911 platform was outdated, specialized groups like some SWAT teams, special forces, etc. would stop chosing it as the platform for their handguns. One of the influences in selecting my daily carry was the fact that it was the one firearm that passed the FBI's Hostage Rescue Team testing as their daily carry (they previously carried 9mm SIG 226 and .45 Les Baer SRPs):
wikipedia said:
While all of the FBI's requirements were demanding, the most rigorous was accuracy. Chosen at random, two of the five guns had to shoot no more than 1.5 in (3.8 cm) at 25 yd (23 m) for three 10-shot groups from a Ransom Rest. Then the guns would be shot for 20,000 rounds in an endurance test, after which a second accuracy test would be conducted with no more than 15 percent degradation in accuracy being acceptable. The only pistol to meet the FBI's standards was Springfield Armory's 1911 pistol.
Of course, the revolver is still around too and that seems to be working pretty well; at least I know I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of one...

·
Registered
282 Posts
The 1911 is a good pistol, but just try fighting with the arcane black magics surrounding sear/hammer interface angles and interaction and all of the gnashing of teeth and lamentations of women that result when they don't want to play nice.

I've come to the basic conclusion that it's a good design, but it's time has long since come and gone. Anything that requires that kind of expert fitting on a part that will, with non-excessive use, wear out and require eventual replacing just belongs to a previous century.

I'm sure someone will be along to talk about how you can repair one with only your finger nails and a rock in the event that society disintegrates into an orgy of death and mayhem, and they'd be right. Should we ever be reduced back to a barely industrial society where skilled labor is both cheap and easy to find the 1911 will once again reign supreme. So will hand-blown glass lamps fueled with oil rendered from hog fat. In the mean time, I'm going to stick with modern designs with drop-in replacement parts made using modern production processes that, theoretically, will jam one or two more times in a couple thousand rounds due to their uncontrolled feeding. I'll also continue to read using these newfangled "snap on" electric lights.

I kid you not when I say that I find Lugers to be a lot easier to repair and return to operating condition without dedicating a significant portion of my life to learning how to gunsmith for one particular type of gun. Yet somehow saying that the Luger is an outdated design that is rightfully relegated to collectors and hobbyists is stating the obvious, while saying the same thing about a gun designed a whole 3 years later is sacrilege.

PS. I do own a 1911. I even carry it sometimes.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. I was just a little cautious about it. I try and carry around the house and down on the horse farm like that to make myslef a little more comfortable. This is my first 1911 that I have carried on a regular basis and I am just trying to get a feel of it.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,889 Posts
Pandashire said:
The 1911 is a good pistol, but just try fighting with the arcane black magics surrounding sear/hammer interface angles and interaction and all of the gnashing of teeth and lamentations of women that result when they don't want to play nice.

I've come to the basic conclusion that it's a good design, but it's time has long since come and gone. Anything that requires that kind of expert fitting on a part that will, with non-excessive use, wear out and require eventual replacing just belongs to a previous century.
The one's that I've onwed have all ran 100% out of the box with any ammo. No expert fitting needed.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah I didnt carry mine much either. I just got this 1911 about a month ago and ran the usual 300 rounds breakin and the 50 round HP test whith the ammo I carry. Because of things out of my control this is now the only firearm I have and I have to carry it. I dont mind carrying it I was just a little nervous about carrying condition 1.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts