Carry on Campus?

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by publius, Aug 27, 2007.

1. publius

publius Guest

"We feel its best to do what we've done, which is to prohibit weapons from being on, from being brought on campus. Except, of course, for LEO."
    -Daniel Walsch, GMU Spokeman

Prohibit weapons from being on campus . . . that makes sense. Things just fall apart when someone DOES bring a gun onto your campus and there are thousands of defenseless students.

I really was expecting a massive change in public policy across the country (at least in the states where gun ownership is respected) in the wake of the inherent flaw in this mentality was tragically put on display. Sadly, the lesson has still not been learned.

Accordingly to Georgia Tech's Code of Conduct: "Unauthorized possession of fireworks, firearms, and/or ammunition" is prohibited. Any chance my GFL makes me an "authorized" person?

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

No. You aren't authorized. I wouldn't even try it. It isn't worth risking a felony. I'm all for pushing for change, though.

3. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Yes, your GFL makes you authorized. It doesn't supersede state or federal law, though.

4. publius

publius Guest

Interesting. Very different opinions.

According to the Georgia Code § 16-11-127, it appears to be illegal to carry "within 1,000 feet of the campus of any public or private technical school, vocational school, college, university, or institution of postsecondary education." They list a bunch of people that are exempt, but I really can't imagine I fall into any of those categories.

The only way around it is to get "authorized in writing by a duly authorized official of the school." Hahahaha. Like someone with authority at a university would grant me the authorization to exercise my constitutional right.

We need a law change . . .

5. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

You can carry within that limit given you're visiting someone or doing lawful business. Same code section.

6. publius

publius Guest

True. But as a student, I'm pretty sure I can't carry. And that's when I feel most vulnerable. Sitting in a room with few exits and knowing the only people with firearms are those who wish to violate the law . . . time to change the law.

7. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yea, you can't carry on campus as a student on campus or dropping another student off. However, you may be within the 1000' zone if you're doing lawful business or visiting someone or if you happen to live there.

8. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

What a shame. Too bad this guy wasn't allowed to carry:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... iness_util

9. polskash

polskash Guest

Is there any serious debate going on about removing this restriction?

Usually you hear BS arguments like "We want an environment for the free exchange of ideas without worrying about safety" as if heated classroom debates inevitably lead to desire to kill or that student who just failed his test gets mad at the professor and would pull a gun if one was available.

Or you hear the same old worn out "The police are there to protect you" but everyone knows the police can't be everywhere at all times as Virginia Tech so horrifically illustrated.

The one sensible argument against allowing guns on campuses is the widespread alcohol consumption that goes on around fraternities and sororities. In theory you could extrapolate this reasoning and ban guns everywhere where alcohol is consumed, which is practically all private residences in the country. Realistically though, college kids are usually a little less mature than other adults who consume alcohol.

I am of the opinion that even if a greater number of college students die from being irresponsible with ALL their rights as American citizens, it is better than if a lesser number of them die because they were DENIED some of their rights.

We don't know if that will statistically be the case because colleges are themselves liberal bastions which love gun control anyway, so most don't like guns because of their own prevailing ideology. Hence, we have few if any colleges that currently allow students to carry.

10. ThetaReactor

ThetaReactor Active Member

You can carry there. The police will [wrongly] arrest you. Justice will not prevail, and you will lose in court.

11. polskash

polskash Guest

You can't carry on college campuses. It's listed as one of the public places of gathering.

12. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Actually college campuses are covered by a different law and are classified as "school safety zones." Instead of being a misd. the penalty is a felony.

13. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

All I can say is that I went to GA State for four years and never once observed a student, faculty member, or staff member who was drinking/drunk while on campus.

14. budder

Colorado is not a part of GA.

15. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

:?:

16. budder

[​IMG]

17. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Maybe I am interpreting this incorrectly...but you're coming off as a douche.

18. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

What the :censored: does Colorado have to do with anything was my point?

19. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Is Colorado campus carry legal?

20. budder

GGO, polskash's first post responded jgullock's about the Colorado knifing. Then, ThetaReactor said that college carry was legal. Since he was obviously not referring to GA, I assumed he was referring to CO, which would agree with my thought that CO allows college carry. Then, polskash said that college campuses were off limits, applying a GA law to CO, since I believe we're the only state that has the PG clause, at least in so many words. I made a humorous map to point out that we were talking about CO, in the hopes that I could clear up the confusion, and Ramm called me a douche because it was immensely helpful.