Carry Insurance

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by jaxenro, Sep 5, 2017.

1. jaxenro

jaxenro New Member

Wasn't sure where to put this but what are your thoughts on carry insurance like Carry Guard?

2. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

I'm suspicious of anything like this until some real life success is reported. Some 3rd rate lawyer, not licensed in my state, would be a real big risk. Fuzzy statements of what they agree to do for you is another.

The best legal money making businesses in the US involve getting money up front, paying big salary to the owner, then folding the LLC and starting another.

Health clubs, solar power ventures, auto extended warranty insurance all come to mind.

3. jaxenro

jaxenro New Member

NRA? I don't think they are folding. What do you think of the concept of carry insurance in general not the specific companies. Especially liability insurance as the rules at a civil trial are fifferent

4. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

Carry Guard pays retroactively, and will not pay in the event of a conviction.

I did a comparison for the South Metro Chapter of Georgia Carry this summer. It is by no means exhaustive, but here is the slideshow if you want to review it.
    https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1yUXoOu5Ys4GocrYD25z8BKu7SLouFObmQqhkqUev5gQ/edit?usp=sharing

Also, there are two basic types Insurance based (CarryGuard) and pooled money (US Law shield). The key differentiation is that insurance products cannot pay for criminal acts, so if you're convicted expect no appeal support and possibly no money at all. Pools, however, could be tapped if multiple cases hit simultaneously. Since there is no public report on their financial status, the limitations of their ability to pay are unknown.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  5. jaxenro

jaxenro New Member

I guess I am thinking more of a civil suit and not so much a conviction as a settlement. If person A is involved in a shooting and the prosecutor declined to charge him isn't he still liable for a civil suit for damages? Far more civil suits are settled by insurance companies making a payment than going to court

6. AtlPhilip

Under Georgia law, not if the shooting is lawful self-defense.

O.C.G.A. § 51-11-9

7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

If the cops/ prosecutor never filed charges, then there was never any self-defense immunity hearing.
    Only when a judge oversees such a hearing and evaluates the evidence and rules on how the self-defense laws apply, THEN, once you win that hearing, you have immunity.

No hearing = no immunity (yet).
    You'll want a lawyer on your side if you're sued, up until he or she helps you win that hearing.

8. AtlPhilip

I don't disagree, but the law doesn't require an immunity hearing. It states only,

"A person who is justified..."

Could one not argue that an unjustified shooting would have resulted in prosecution?

9. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

I've seen the NRA ads but suspect like other things (AARP med sup ins), it is farmed out to another company after taking a cut.

I wonder if the Fed and State laws re insurance apply to these companies ?
    Financial ability to pay, provision for "public adjusters", severe fraud penalties for not paying legitimate claims...

10. AtlPhilip

11. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

ahh, those details...

12. Glockenator

Glockenator Active Member

It's all essentially snake oil. A gimmick. Sold to the gullible.

The NRA uses some very sleazy and deceptive tactics to further line their pockets, instead of using the massive amount of money they receive only for furthering gun education, improving carry laws, etc.

And the gullible keep on donating money to them, one way or another.

Pssst - your regular dues are more than enough to fund what they are supposed to be doing.

13. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

The NRA was a big help in GA's gun law updates a few years ago.

No, never mind.

14. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

They have been helping in recent years. So far as I know, since the debacle with their opposition to SB308, they have been hand in hand with GCO on everything.

15. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

According to The Trace -

Lockton Affinity said yesterday it would no longer administer the NRA's Carry Guard self-defense insurance, putting the product's future in question. https://t.co/B9pVBm8FWV