Carry in Car question...

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by GeneZ, Nov 9, 2010.

1. GeneZ

GeneZ Member

I have read several times the law in regards to a Georgia citizen transporting a firearm in his car in Georgia. The law is stated in such a way that it speaks in regards to any citizen who is not a felon, and who does not have to possess a firearm license. The gun is to be kept in a closed glove compartment, or equivalent. I did not read any specifics for those who do have a license to carry. Does that mean if one does have a license? That he needs to remove his weapon from its holster and place it in a confined compartment in his car while driving?

Thanks in advance... GeneZ

2. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

3. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

As long as you are not prohibited from owning a firearm, and are eligible for a GWL, you can carry the firearm anyplace you like in your car. It may be concealed. Have you read the laws at the top of this page. They're must easier to read than the laws which require more legal knowledge.

4. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

5. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Curious? Why the strike? They're one and the the same. If you're not eligible for a GWL, you're also likely not eligible to own a firearm. Those would be felons. Explain, and remember, we're discussing car carry.

Sometimes I feel like I have a stalker. :lol: Seriously, If I'm wrong, I'm sure you'll explain why. Thanks.

6. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

7. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

In the words of MP:

8. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

18 year olds?

9. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

:surrender: My bad. I hadn't even considered those under 21. :oops:

10. whitmo

whitmo New Member

What about non-residents?

11. Kingfish

Kingfish New Member

Someone spent a couple days at a mental hospital 4 years ago or had any one of the other GWL disqualifiers.

12. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

There are still several categories of people that are not legally prohibited from possessing a handgun that are not able to obtain a GWL. Our current law doesn't base carrying a firearm in a vehicle on GWL eligibility (it used to), it bases it upon being able to legally possess a handgun. Those are two different things.

13. COMMANDER1911

COMMANDER1911 New Member

Easiest thing is to get a GWL. Without one carry on your person is prohibited. So if you are carrying without a GWL and need to defend yourself, you will more than likely be prosecuted. And after all, who wants to leave their weapon in their car if they carry for self defense.

14. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

While it's not a bad idea to get a GWL, you can carry on your person at home, on your property, in your vehicle and at your business all without a GWL.

15. COMMANDER1911

COMMANDER1911 New Member

Correct. I was saying if you wanted to carry while out and about.....

16. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Note that if you are not eligible for a GWL you only may carry in your own car. Not your parents' car, not your spouse's car, not a rental car, not a taxi.

17. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

What about your brother's best friend's grandfather's college roommate's son's drinking buddy's car?

18. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

I've been beaten up enough in this thread. All well intentioned. It was "my bad" to discount those citizens between 18 and 21, and the out of state travelers (we love ya'!). Other "exceptions" will come to mind. FTR: Those 18 years of age, and non-felon "travelers" (maybe others will come to mind), please feel free to travel through our fair state of Georgia!

Again!, my intention was well meant. Couldn't get any better than that. Let's keep this civil.

19. GeneZ

GeneZ Member

I could not find what I used to read.. at least, what I believe I once read. Has there been a change in the law on car carry? Did the law once state that when carrying your weapon in your car that it must be kept in a glove compartment, etc? I could not find that when I read it this time. Only about locking it up before entering certain unauthorized places to carry. Am I reading that right?

What I am getting at.. Say I get pulled over for going (slightly) over the speed limit. :mrgreen: And, inadvertently, the officer issuing the ticket notices I am carrying when I reach in for my ID. I have a GWL. Am I legal? I used to read that when driving, the weapon was to be placed in a compartment like the glove compartment. At least, I think I did.

Inquiring minds want to know.. GeneZ

20. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Carry it anyplace you damn well please. To follow that, you are under no obligation to tell the officer you are carrying.