Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't want to appear to be a dummy, but I'm new to carrying in GA. State I come from did not require a license to carry, only to carry concealed...so I assumed when I got my license here, it was to carry concealed. Now, someone is telling me that is not true, I have to go get another license to carry concealed. I could have sworn I told the probate person that I wanted a concealed permit. Who's right?

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,253 Posts
Only One Permit

There is only one "carry" permit (for civilians, as contrasted with cops or security guards) in Georgia, which is described in 16-11-129. This permit generally allows you to carry open or concealed away from your home, your car, or your place of business, or the hunting fields. But even with a permit, you cannot carry at public gatherings, places that serve alcohol, public buildings, mass-transit terminals, passenger busses, or on school property (even private schools).

There are certain times and places where a person WITHOUT A PERMIT could carry legally, but only openly, but let's not even bother discussing that since you DO have a permit, right?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Public Gatherings

No carrying concealed at public gatherings???? By definition,wouldn't that be anywhere there would be more than one person in public?

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Make sure you read the Ga Attorney General's unofficial opinion about public gatherings. It will help clear up some things.

·
Registered
633 Posts
yeibiche said:
Don't want to appear to be a dummy, but I'm new to carrying in GA. State I come from did not require a license to carry, only to carry concealed...so I assumed when I got my license here, it was to carry concealed. Now, someone is telling me that is not true, I have to go get another license to carry concealed. I could have sworn I told the probate person that I wanted a concealed permit. Who's right?
Trust me, I carried blindly, not understanding the laws fully.......now I see with the help of this website. Thank God for GPO and GCO!

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts