Carroll County

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by Whasat, May 29, 2005.

1. Whasat

Whasat New Member

The application location is correct on the GFL page. However you have to go to the Carroll County Sheriff's Department to get finger prints done. But here is the process I personally went through to get mine.

Went to County Probate Judge's office located at the Carroll County court house(address can be found on the GFL page).

You have to fill out a short application, on page basically name address, are you a felon etc.

Give the application to the person in the office along with your driver's License, they fill out the forms on the computer, which also prints the firearms license at the same time.

You pay that the Probabte Judge office, when I applied for mine on 3/9/05 the fee was $44.00 (cash or check). This is an all in one payment for the entire process.

Then you take your application, your two ten cards, and license to the Sheriff's office located on GA Highway 16 across from West Central Technical college and get finger printed. Leave all your paper work with them and your done.

I applied for my GFL on 3/09/05 and received it on 5/24/05
    for some odd reason though the issue date of my GFL is 3/09/05 (the date I applied) so i got screwed out of a couple of months come renewal time in 5 years.

That was my experience though, everyone was very nice and professional and I had no problems at all during the process. Sorry for the extreme detail, but I thought someone out there might want to know them.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

No apologies - detail is what we want! :D

3. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

Carroll County Court House has changes, no weapons of any kind allowed, not even small pocket knives. They ahve 3 sheriffs deputies, metal detector and wands. One way in and one way out. So check all of your pockets before making the walk from the back of the building to the front.

The process was still the same but I am told to expect changes as of 1 July 2006 plus a much longer wait. I will check back with them once there routine is set and get the latest skinny on it.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Did they say how much longer or why?

5. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

No why other than a back ground check, and the wait would 5 to 6 months for new permits.

6. wa4phy

wa4phy New Member

I suppose I should have posted that kind of information about Columbia county, but didn't think much of it. You must submit to a screening just as if you were entering the terminal area of an airport. Metal detectors, scanner for briefcases, or anything that will fit thru there. One way in, one way out. There are no less than 3-5 deputies on duty in the courthouse annex (the old courthouse in Appling AFIK is just used for court, and possibly grand jury use) The annex is where most people go for all other business, including the probate judge's office.

7. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

GFL Renewal

I received my Renewal GFL in the mail today. 79 days from which I submitted the application. There is an error on the Renewed GFL. The issue date is 7/12/2006 which is the date when I applied and also simultaneously issued a Temporary GFL. However the expiration date on my Renewed GFL is 1/12/2011. I was under the impression that the GFL was valid for 5 years at a time?

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

From Carroll County Website

For your reading pleasure straight from Carroll's website:

Upon receipt of the required criminal and mental health records, those records are reviewed for the applicant’s eligibility to receive a license. Any questions concerning eligibility are referred to the Judge for determination. If the applicant is determined to be eligible to receive a license, the license is issued. Note: The Carroll County Probate Court has no control over the length of time for the return of the criminal and mental health records from the F.B.I. and the G.B.I. On all applications, this process may take as much as six months. The Court cannot be required to issue a license until the necessary reports have been received

Well I guess they apply the law how they see fit. It is easier to pass the buck off on the other agencies involved in the process.

9. Malum Prohibitum

Re: From Carroll County Website

To which "necessary reports" does she refer?

:-k

10. Malum Prohibitum

I know! I know!

O.C.G.A. 16-11-129(d)(4)

:lol:

11. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

To which "necessary reports" does she refer?

:-k[/quote:1qstlgep]

You know, the ones that are not required... :sly:

12. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

Excuse me! Cannot be required?!?! Last time I checked they are required to do what ever the statues dictate. That's not an explanation of their position ... that's the single finger salute!