Carroll County Board of Commissioners ANTI GUN!!!!

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by Firearmz, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

The board passed a new non-incorporated firearms ordnance. From the letter I received it says one of the commissioners introduced the ordnance because of problems he was having with a neigbor, but it doesn't say which board member it was.

It basically reads:
    Ordnance on Discharging Deadly weapons
    It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge or fire a rifle, pistol, revolver, cannon, or other deadly weapon within the unincorporated area of the county, as follows:
    a. 700 feet as set back from any residence, place of worship, school, or public gathering place;
    b. 150 feet as set back from a public road; and
    c. 150 feet as set back from any property line;
    This provision shall not apply to:
    a. any law enforcement officer while in the discharge of official duties;
    b. any person hunting upon such person's premises or the premises of another with the owners consent;
    c. any existing firearms facility demonstrates to the sheriff or his designee, that such facilities safely operate and where such facilities satisfy the 150 feet public road set back and the 150 feet property set back.

At no time shall any discharge of weapons be permitted where a showing that public or personal safety is endangered.

Out oof the 7 commissioners only one voted against this ordnance. They are and their votes:
    Trent T North affirmative
    Vicki J Anderson affermative
    William A Head affirmative
    Chairman Robert Barr affirmative (resigned for other causes.
    Jimmy K Godbee opposed
    Randy C Simpkins affirmative
    Herman K Ayers affirmative (acting chair person)

There is currently a letter being circulated asking for this ordnance to be revoked by the board. If you would like to send your opinion send it to:
    Carroll County Commissioners Office
    County Administrative Building, Room 408
    423 College Street
    Carrollton, Ga. 30112

Tel- 770-830-5800
    Fax- 770-830-5995

Isn't there something about Georgia being a preemptive state and gun laws?

2. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Regulation of the discharge of firearms is not pre-empted.

16-11-173

http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?t ... ection=173

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Firearmz, while I do not like it, that is actually better than most counties in the metro Atlanta area.

My county, for instance is worse, and it has no exception for hunting.

When did this pass?

Was there much in the way of public comment?

4. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

In that ordinance, what about self defense? I could see how they use that "At no time shall any discharge of weapons be permitted where a showing that public or personal safety is endangered." part against you saying the perp's safety was endangered. :roll:

5. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

It passed recently but I am not sure of the date. The mass of the public seems to have recently found out, there are form letters being circulated to try and have it repealed.

My wife and I are seriously considering moving, my daughter has one more year of school and that may be it for us here. Georgia still is somewhat of a friendly gun state but as the population encroaches so do more restrictive gun laws.

6. ahlongslide

ahlongslide New Member

:x I target practice on my friends property in Carroll County... and his property definitely isn't large enough to counter those setbacks..... but he does live in the middle of nowhere... and I could always tell the cops that I'm hunting paper targets... I'll stop typing now.

7. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

One silly phone call to the Sheriff from an angry old guy at a church, SO comes, does a report and writes you a citation, judges revokes you GFL.

Take advanced bullets, I don't go shoot there but I do know Greg and Ginger and I know they don't meet the 150 feet set back. How is this going to effect some people that have been in business for years?

8. Malum Prohibitum

If they do not meet the setback, then they are out of business. What were Greg and Ginger doing when this was being heard (or did they discover it after-the-fact?).

It could be that the commissioners did not realize they were putting people out of business.

9. Malum Prohibitum

What sparked this ordinance?

10. ahlongslide

ahlongslide New Member

11. Malum Prohibitum

I bet Commissioner Godbee would tell you.

12. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

I am not sure, but rumor has it one of the council members had an issue with a neighbor and he introduced the motion to the board. Which member was it? I have no idea but I am sure we haven't heard the last of it. The commissioners recently made one big boo boo. The county employees insurance was going to jump from $300. 00 a month to over $700.00 a month. That was caught and repealed before it went in to affect. The county had a 8 million dollar surplus and now only has like 80,000. The county had to take out a loan (5million) to pay for the county employees insurance. The chair Bob Barr resigned quickly when all of this hit the papers. So they are already under a lot of scrutiny.

I would surmise that there will be some council seats being changed at election time.

13. ahlongslide

ahlongslide New Member

I know which Deadly weapon was being discharged on a certain commissioner's neighbors property... but he told me not to tell you.

14. ahlongslide

ahlongslide New Member

I can't believe I haven't heard of this before now... I even called the county courthouse a couple of weeks ago to make sure I could shoot firearms on my friends property... why didn't they tell me..?

Regulations shouldn't be able to originate because of a politician's personal problems... much less pass because of it...

15. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I was just thinking the same thing as I was reading through the new posts since this morning...

16. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Um, wouldn't they be protected by the shooting range protection act?
    http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?t ... &section=9

17. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

BRILLIANT!

[​IMG]

18. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

Ordinance on Discharge of Deadly Weapons It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge or fire a rifle, pistol, revolver, cannon or other deadly weapon within the unincorporated area of the county, as follow: a. 700 feet as set back from any residence, place of worship, schools, business or public meeting place; b. 150 feet as set back from a public road; and c. 150 feet as set back from any property line. This provision shall not apply to: a. any law enforcement officer while in the discharge of official duties; b. any person hunting upon such person’s premises or the premises of another with the owner’s consent; c. any existing firearms facility where the facility demonstrates to the sheriff, or his designee, that such facilities safely operate and where such facilities satisfy the 150 feet public road set back and the 150 feet property set back. At no time shall any discharge of weapons be permitted where a showing that public or personal safety is endangered. ------------------------------------------------- As you can see from reading this information. This is very restrictive. Literally one could not shoot even a Bow and Arrow within 700 feet (233 yards) of their own house. Many people do not even know that this has passed so the word needs to get out and have people contact the county commissioners to voice their opposition if they do not like it. I have an electronic copy of a letter to the commission board that asks for the ordinance to be re-called. I would be happy to forward this to you. Also asked is that anyone who can physically show up at the next commission meeting on 16 July at 6:00PM do so to let their voice be heard. If you could post a heads up on your web site it would be greatly appreciated. Any help in getting the word out would also be great. Sincerely, Rob Hummer (404) 414-6457 rhummer@yahoo.com

19. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

I'll show up. I certainly don't appreciate a commissioner legislating a personal agenda or perk.

20. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

One of the Commissioners, William (Bill) Head of the Temple District had an issue with a neighbor, so this is the result of his own personal problem. It has now been imposed on the entire county.