Carried all over Atlanta this weekend

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by gsusnake, Oct 13, 2007.

1. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

So I went home to see my parents (and take the young lady to meet them) and decided I'd carry openly wherever I could.

QT 4 times, not a single problem. I did have one of the guys behind the counter at the one on Satellite and Boggs call me "Officer".

No problems at the hotel in Buford.

My parents gave me trouble but they don't count.

Chick-Fil-A in Oakwood, no problem.

THEN we went to Lenox. I concealed most of the time but was going to carry openly after I left the bathroom next to Neiman Marcus... first person I saw after leaving the bathroom was a uniformed APD officer and I didn't feel like going to prison, so I concealed. I did carry openly through the food court on the way out.

Concealed the entire time we were at Atlantic Station. They were setting up for Taste of Atlanta (more than likely a PG) and there were officers all over.

I could have carried into Six Flags on Friday night; for that matter, Brandi could have too. I set off the metal detector and showed the guy my keys. He didn't even look and just waved me through, which made me feel REAL safe. They weren't checking pocketbooks either.

2. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

Went to HiFi a month ago or so and got the same feeling of security. Didn't check ANYTHING on me but wanted to look in the blanket my wife was carrying in. It was one of those LL Bean outdoor blankets that folds up into itself and has a carry strap. Didn't wand or frisk either of us. And let me tell you........I did not feel safe there unarmed, especially on the long walk back to the car afterward.

3. gsusnake

I felt naked without my gun in Six Flags. I can handle not carrying at work (I don't like it, but I can handle it) or at a restaurant but it felt wrong at Six Flags.

Of course, I had the flashlight and may or may not have had a lockback pocketknife on me, you know in case there were any boxes that needed opening, or I had to clean my fingernails or something... :whistle:

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I tried to OC at Jim Ellis Saab this morning, but my wife asked me to cover it. :(

5. VolGrad

My wife always asks me to cover it up...... Oh, what were you talking about?

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I'm confused...were you OC when you left the bathroom and just CC all the sudden or what?

7. gsusnake

yup, just pulled the tshirt down over the gun real quick.

8. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Oh, I see.

9. gsusnake

I never made any real effort at concealment but none of the :sheep: seemed to notice.

APD needs to teach its officers better SA, too. A cop who isn't paying any attention to anything but the hot blonde walking by is not protecting much of anything.

10. 1911packer

1911packer Guest

+1 on Six Flags. Ever since MARTA started shipping inner city gangbangers to the park, the level of safety has gone down.

11. VolGrad

Maybe he was just making sure she wasn't concealing anything. :rotfl2:

12. merlock

merlock Active Member

:D

13. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

What she is concealing could be considered deadly weapons - do you know how many automobile accidents are caused by them each year? :wink:

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Devil's Advocate====ON

Perhaps he is one of the pro-gfl cops who was trying to ignore you?

Devil's Advocate====OFF

15. M249

M249 New Member

I haven't had a problem OCing anywhere in the metro... even in Cobb :shock:

16. jeepsterwannabe

jeepsterwannabe New Member

I am a survivor of one of those accidents...

17. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

I'm sorry, but I don't see the fascination with carrying openly. A lot of folks on this board seem to think it's the neatest thing since sliced bread, but I don't see it.

I don't carry a weapon to impress others or for any other reason than to protect myself or others from aggression. While of course it is your right to carry openly if you desire, I just don't think it buys you anything. You can make an argument that it provides a deterrent effect to would-be evildoers, but I'm more worried about the evil-doer capping me as his opening action just because I am carrying.

I'd prefer the first inclination that I might be carrying to be the hollowpoint entering my adversary's sternum.

I'm not trying to ruffle feathers with this post, I just genuinely don't get it.

18. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Another point of OC is to educate people and eliminate the notion that person + gun = bad person. I OC sometimes and CC sometimes. It depends on where I'm going, what I'm wearing, what I feel like, etc.

19. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Those two do not really go together. :wink: