Carport Price Comparison: Metal vs. Wood

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by TITAN308, Sep 12, 2013.

1. TITAN308

TITAN308 :) :) :)

So I've brought up a thread a while back on this topic, but after cruising the interwebz some I figured I'd see if anyone has any input who regularly buys raw materials to build things.

Building a car port in my back yard (side walls, open front and back) and I came across this nifty website called carport.com where you can sort of customize and throw together different dimensions, colors, options.

So for a 15' wide x 20' long x 5' (this is just the side wall, not the peak) with closed in walls it would run me about $950.00 shipped for the kit option of DYI.

This gets me gray siding to match my house and a black roof to match as well.

Now the million dollar question is - can it be done for cheaper going to the stick built route. So far the downsides to consider are;

- wooden roof means I will need to install roof shingles
    - must be treated wood
    - ???

What do you think? Personally I like wood over metal, but I'm not oppose to the idea because the metal version will match my house (as required by the HOA) and when it rains, who doesn't like listening to rain on a metal roof?

So can the same be done for under $1000 via raw wood materials?

2. Coffee Kid

Coffee Kid Active Member

You can always build and put a metal roof. No one says that you have to put shingles.

3. TITAN308

The HoA says it will have to, but even that aside - I would like to have a nice fit and finish to the property and would opt for shingles regardless. It would also offer an extra layer of protection to the roof, which will be in turn protecting my stuff underneath.

I would assume the purpose of shingles is to lessen the exposure of elements to the key part of the structure, the roof?

4. Coffee Kid

Coffee Kid Active Member

Just curious, You could put a metal roof on a metal structure but not on a wooden structure? Modern metal roofing is very efficient.

5. TITAN308

I'm sure you could put a metal roof on a wooden structure, its all fastened one way or the other.

I'm just wondering the bottom line pricing between the two.

If the metal modular / prefab units are ultimately cheaper (including maintenance) than I'm all for putting that up for right under $1,000.

I plan on leveling the ground myself and just using a crushed gravel as a floor to keep cost down.

I'm getting tired of tarping the dune buggy everytime it looks like its going to rain, and also want a work space for it that is out of the sun and some storage space for tools, etc. etc.

6. Coffee Kid

Coffee Kid Active Member

Are you planning on enclosing all 4 sides?

How long do you plan to stay in this house?

Are you doing all the labor yourself? Remember, time is money.

I personally believe that the wooden structure would require more maintenance. But if you are completely enclosing it and plan to use it as a workshop, I would go with the wood. If it is strictly for storage and parking, I would choose the metal.

That being said, I put in a 21 X26 metal enclosed garage to put my coffee roaster. Hope to be roasting soon.

7. TITAN308

No the front and back will be open - I may close in the back eventually, but not to start. I may opt for installing some vinyl front doors (the kind that unzip with EZUP canopies).

Don't plan on moving anytime - and yes - myself and a couple of friends whom do construction will be helping me.

8. spotco2

spotco2 New Member

There is a big difference between building a permanent structure out of lumber or steel and the carport kits. The main difference is the strength of the materials used and how long you expect it to survive.

Can you build a wooden version of the carport kits cheaper than ordering a metal kit? Nope. You might be able to save some money by purchasing the kit from a local supplier though.

These kits are cool, lightweight, easy to put together and offer a level of protection above simply using a tarp and some ropes. However, they do not offer protection again falling hazards (large tree limbs or falling trees) or hi speed winds like a heavier stick built building. I've seen these blown away and twisted into rubble after a good Ga wind storm even if they were anchored to the ground. Even worse is the one's I've seen that were anchored to a concrete pad that just wrapped around whatever they were once protecting because they could not blow away.

BUT, you're also talking about getting a little protection for less than $1000.

I just did a 30x30 pole barn with enclosed sides and I was at around $9k for materials alone and it's wrapped in metal. It would have been much more if we had finished the outside with siding and a shingle roof.

9. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

10. RebelCowboySnB

RebelCowboySnB Opinion Taken Elsewhere.

Metal comes in 3 foot wide sheets. I pay $1 a linear foot for the sheets from the seconds pile at the manufacturer. If you just order what you want in the color you want it cost $1.80 a linear foot. Galvanized is $1.40.

Manufacturer is just north of walmart in Fort O.

11. spotco2

spotco2 New Member

BTW...I would advise against enclosing 3 sides and leaving the front open unless you have something blocking the wind from entering the open side. Straight line winds going in have to exhaust somewhere and if there is nowhere for it to go, it can lift the building like a kite without a tether. Ever seen a trampoline in a tree across the road after a storm?

I know a guy that had a 40x60 that the wind blew his garage doors open when he was not home. It filled the building with air, air pressure changed inside the building since it could not exhaust and they picked up parts of the roof over 1/4 mile away.

12. TITAN308

I would not enclose the back without enclosing the front.

But that is long term planning - at least with these projects I can come back and do the extra details at a later date.

So it will simply be a roof with both sides enclosed with the front and back open to start.

Something I can store a couple of wood built benches under, along with yard tools and also drive my buggy into should it look like rain is inbound or I want to do some work on it and get out of the sun.

I'm not worried about falling trees (based on my placement) - and I plan to concrete anchor the thing down and with the way my property sits - the wind direction is somewhat always forced due to the wall of trees on my property lines and us kind of sitting at the bottom of a bowl.

And it would hit my fence before hitting the port, taking a lot of bite out of it. (One side of the port would be a few feet away from one of my fence lines.)

If I've thought and planned its positioning carefully, wind will not be a major factor.

In all other instances of mother nature, that is what insurance is for.

13. TITAN308

And through the magic of MS Paint:

The wind would basically break against the fence (which has held fine since it was built 3 years ago) and then it should travel up and right over the roof.

[​IMG]

14. Malum Prohibitum

What's wrong with the plans in the link I posted you? Step by step instructions, with photos!

15. TITAN308

Uh yea... as long as you will personally insure it for me, I don't think so. :lol:

16. Malum Prohibitum

17. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

You're likely going to have wooden roof decking regardless. What you put on that is up to you.

As to cost of materials?
    1) Find or create a plan. Based on what you have posted so far, I recommend the "find" option.
    2) Use the plan to create a count of parts.
    3) In the case of lumber, use the count of parts to determine how many of each standard-size items to buy.
    4) Start price shopping.
    5) Once the price fits the budget, get HOA approval BEFORE starting work.

Check local building supply places once you have a bill of materials. They may be cheaper for bulk quantities of lumber than your local home improvement store. They may also deliver with a large truck that can save you a significant amount of time loading and unloading.