CarJacking Thugs Will Hurt You Even After Getting Your Keys

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Phil1979, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

http://www.ktnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13407650

In Las Vegas, NV Allan Jacobs "gave it up" to carjacking thugs. But even after handing over his keys, they severely beat him and dragged him across the desert, ending with Jacobs winding up in the hospital.

The next time I hear someone give the advice to cooperate with thugs lest you get hurt, I'm gonna throw up! :puke:

Anyone try to carjack me, I'm NOT sorry, they are going to have a high risk of getting shot.

2. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

:righton:

I feel the same way about it--I could care less that my car is a giant pile of :cantsay: . Also feel the same way about my wallet and what's in it. Compliance with a criminal assures that they're free to do it again, and probably will since they've been successful.

3. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

**Checks all previous posts for myself** Ok I'm cleared in saying: Attempt tp carjack me... you will win a prize.. A SHINY NEW TOE RING!!!! I'm not a hero, or a maniac. Criminals these days aren't the same as they were 20 years ago in regards to sparing ppls lives when they meet their demands. They seem to like to take things a step further after they got what they wanted. And these people become victims. In any type of situation, if I can get the upper hand, I will eliminate the threat simple as that. Yes call me an armchair qtrback, but I doubt I have anything to lose at that point. chances are as good as 50/50 that the criminal is going to not hurt you, they will or they won't and it all depends on their mood at that very moment. I hope you guys never see me on TV, but if you do it'll hopefully be about me going ninja on a bad guy :D

4. latter_day_hippie

latter_day_hippie Well-Known Member

Apparently there has been a systemic escalation of violence associated with both carjackings and home invasions around the country.

FBI/DOJ statistics of the last few years have indicated a 33% chance of violence occuring when a homeowner/resident is present during a home invasion; a contact with APD tells me in Atlanta that number has increased to over 50%. The limited statistics I have found regarding car jackings suggest a similar upward trend.

When I'm teaching Refuse To Be A Victim seminars, one of the topics covered initially addresses potential reactions to a criminal encounter: flight, flee, posture or comply (and, of course, freezing up). When the participants are asked, "Which of these is the best in any given criminal encounter?" a surprising number respond, "comply." At that point I usually share a couple of personal experiences or well-documented case studies that illustrate why compliance may not be the best option for any given situation. The curriculum then turns to ways to avoid criminal encounters in the first place so participants (hopefully) will never have to make that choice, and how to plan ahead in case they do.

Carjacking scares the :censored: out of me, and apparently out of lots of others too -- the article I wrote on ways to avoid becoming a carjacking victim on No Victims is the second all-time most popular article on the site.

5. martin_j001

That's a scary statistic right there.... :shock:

6. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

Just another reason guys to get the wife or gf into the range and their hands on a gun. Things are harder nowdays and criminals are becoming alot braver. If you have a family EVERYONE in that house needs to learn how to respect and use weapons to defends ones home and life in any given circumstance.

I've told my wife, anyone ever breaks into our home, there WILL be lead flying without any questions. I refuse to ever be a victim but if I am, I promise you I'll do my best to make sure theres 2 body bags and not just one.

7. 175FO

175FO Member

Fortunately for me my car is probably not worth the trouble of a carjacking. But if someone were to be that stupid I would make sure they do get their car ride, in the ambulance.

8. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Giving into the thugs demands is not a guarantee that you will not be injured or killed during the crime.

9. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

That's a scary statistic right there.... :shock:[/quote:29hd0e8x]

But it depends on the context, right? latter_day_hippie, can you provide any background to the 50% number?

My first instinct is to agree w/martin_j001 - i.e. bad guys getting more aggressive. But could it also be more good guys standing their ground? Gun sales are up. More people are getting their GWLs. Is it possibly a case of more people refusing to be a victim?

I have no qualms with an increase in violent encounters, as long as the BG is on the receiving end. Serves the _______s right for subscribing to a violent, destructive lifestyle.

10. martin_j001

^^Good point. I prefer to think of it the first way...makes me feel less paranoid for wanting to hide (securely of course) several guns in each room of the house. Also gives me a "reason" to explain to the wife why I'm buying a dozen more guns. :mrgreen:

11. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

I would be VERY VERY interested in knowing how many of that 50% was where the victim fought back for their property and safety. But I think we can all agree on one thing, they try to pick vulnerable targets women, old people, people smaller than they are. And if the target out-beasts them then they go the weapon route to persuade the person to give up or run in fear.

One thing is for certain if violence keeps creeping up and things get outta control.. I'm going to have to buy stock in these things.. anyone know a reputable dealer?

[​IMG]

HA I just noticed that the tag is for the Tru Blood series :D

12. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

I love it! I know I'm not the only one w/guns stashed all over the house, but it's always nice to hear someone else say it.

13. COMMANDER1911

COMMANDER1911 New Member

Poverty breeds desperation. Desperation breeds crime. Where there is a suffering economy, there will be crime. Also the gang situation is growing exponentially, and with gang presence, there is violence. Gangs will do anything and kill anyone to fund their drug trade. I had a situation where I am 99% sure I was going to be carjacked when I was stationed in NC. I pulled into a convienient store at aprox 12:00am to get my wife some smokes. A black male with his pants on the ground immediately walked out of the store and approached me before I got out of my truck. He said "man that's a nice ride" at which I replied "thanks". He then said "mind if I drive it"? At which I replied not a chance in hell. Then he lifted his shirt to reveal a shiney revolver in his waistband and said, "Mind if I drive it now"? And I said "sure man let me get the keys. So I reached in the passenger seat, retrieved my .45, drew on him (from inside my truck) and said, "I can't find my keys but you can drive this. I was fully prepared to shoot this man, but thank God I didn't have to. He ran off behind the store and into the woods. I called the local PD and my chain of command to let them know what happened. As far as I know they didn't find him. Who knows what would have happened to me if i hadn't drawn down on him.....