Carjacker killed by driver in Detroit

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Macktee, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Macktee

Macktee New Member

This is where I usually say something about how I love happy endings, but this one isn't over. The driver was shot in the face and is in critical condition in hospital.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20101020 ... n-shootout

Full story above. Here are the highlights.

A guy was filling up his Escalade when another guy walked up with a gun and demanded the truck. The guy's girlfriend was inside the store, but her five year old daughter was in the truck. He refused and was shot. He shot back. About 20 shots were exchanged, with the bad guy getting the short end of the exchange. Let's hope the good guy makes it.

2. RecoveringYankee

RecoveringYankee New Member

Prayers for a full recovery.

3. 175FO

175FO Member

That's awesome that he was able to shoot back after being hit in the face, say's something about the will to survive.

4. TimBob

TimBob Old, Slow, Boring Dude

Next time someone asks, "Why do you need a gun?" show them this story!

I pray the good guy survives.

5. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

:screwy:

6. German Longshot

German Longshot New Member

Even if the victim had somehow been in the wrong, why would you even think about pressing charges?? THE MAN WAS SHOT IN THE FACE. Why in the h*ll would anyone in their right mind press charges after something like that?! :screwy:

7. Macktee

Macktee New Member

It doesn't say they will press charges, just investigate.

The prosecutor in Wayne County is one really tough woman. If I lived in MI, I'd be pushing her to run for governor. She's the one who put the former mayor in prison as well as several other "well connected" politically powerful individuals. Detroit politics is much like Atlanta's, but it doesn't work with her. She enforces the law. Period! Race, sex, age, whatever, don't come crying to her with any of that stuff. If you did the crime, she believes it's her job to see you serve the time!

Consequently, I seriously doubt any charges will be pressed against the driver. Although, possibly, posthumously against the BG...

8. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

It's liberal Detroit, what else can I say.[​IMG]

9. smn

smn Active Member

To get the driver immunity from civil prosecution the prosecutor's office might have to take the case to the grand jury and get a no bill. Explaining that to the readership is too complicated so journalists infer any action with a gun, up to and including self defense, might get you a charge.

10. rabbivj

rabbivj My Name is Inigo Montoya

youre refering to Kym Worthy...she is VERY tough on stuff like that...

11. Macktee

Macktee New Member

UPDATE

Excellent news! The driver is out of the hospital.

http://detnews.com/article/20101021/METRO01/10210426

"... Reese died at the scene. The victim, who police wouldn't identify, was sent home Wednesday, officials said. His wife identified him as Omar Mixon.
    "My concern is nursing my husband back to health," Brenda Mixon said this morning. "That is all I care about." ..."

"... Brenda Mixon said she is still trying to sort out who the woman and child are who were with her husband at the time of the shooting.
    "I don't know her or her baby," Brenda Mixon said. "I'm not mad at her or her baby." ..."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20101021/MET ... z1360YEItl

After the news identified the other woman as his "girlfriend", I can't even imagine my wife welcoming me home like that.

I think it would be more like this.......

[​IMG]

12. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

hmmm i wonder if the guy(who died) is the father of the child that was in the car and was pissed some other man was with his wife and child

13. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Or maybe the welcoming wife sent the guy.... :shattered:

Anyway, glad the driver is doing better.

14. mountainman444

mountainman444 Well-Known Member

Boy, this plot is thickening fast. His wife is probably welcoming him home and nursing him back to health so she can kill him herself. Mine would be.