Carhartt Jacket Stops Four Shots from NY Officers 9mm

Discussion in 'In the News' started by mountainpass, May 21, 2016.

1. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

http://nypost.com/2016/05/19/nypd-checking-ammo-after-knifemans-jacket-stops-cops-bullets/

Wonder what grain hollowpoints they use and brand?

2. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

If only they could motivate those pistols to do a better job of firing bullets.

:shakehead:

"... I shot him but he didn't instantly disintegrate in a sort of greasy red spray... must be something wrong with the gun..."

Last edited: May 21, 2016

3. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I can't confirm, but have heard that that the NYPD carries Speer Gold Dot.

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

5. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

I have a mid to heavy weight Carhartt jacket. I like it more now.

Nemo

6. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

Amendment to Responsible Body Armor Possession Act coming up... Carhartt jackets will be banned.

7. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Should have been using 10mm

8. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

9. HCountyGuy

HCountyGuy Well-Known Member

Oh great, now all the arm-chair "ballistic experts" are going to tout this as an argument against the 9mm. "SEE! You wouldn't have that problem with a forty-five, hyuck hyuck!"

At any rate, there isn't enough information available to determine what may have caused this. A combination of a thick jacket and perhaps a bad batch of ammo could be to blame. Blaming the gun, if there were no malfunctions, is just asinine. This is going to be blown way out of proportions when it was simply luck of the draw (no pun intended) that these rounds didn't penetrate.

10. mog

mog Active Member

Or a forty. Jus' sayin'.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  11. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

Details are pretty sparse right now. However, if the guy was in any kind of defensive position where the jacket was bunching up, or material from the sleeves was overlaid on the main part of the jacket, it's possible we could be talking about several layers of one of the most durable jacket materials out there. Not ideal for any JHP to defeat.

We also don't know distance. Maybe one of the cops was firing from a long distance in pistol terms (big difference between 9mm at 5 yards and 60 yards). Could have also been a bad batch of rounds in one of the officer's guns.

I won't be ditching 9mm and I won't be relying on my Carthartt to replace my plate carrier.