Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://nypost.com/2016/05/19/nypd-checking-ammo-after-knifemans-jacket-stops-cops-bullets/

Four of the shots that cops fired at a madman waving a knife in Midtown failed to penetrate his jacket â€" which was not bulletproof â€" and the NYPD will now check the weapons for malfunction, law enforcement sources told The Post.
A sergeant and an officer fired a total of nine rounds at 46-year-old Garry Conrad on Wednesday, with one of the shots killing the depressed Broadway stagehand who refused to drop the blade at West 49th Street and Eighth Avenue.

Four of the bullets got lodged in Conrad’s Carhartt jacket, sources said, adding that he was not wearing a bulletproof vest.

Another shot grazed the wrist of bystander Lauran Code, a 46-year-old lingerie designer from California.
Wonder what grain hollowpoints they use and brand?

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,176 Posts
I have a mid to heavy weight Carhartt jacket. I like it more now.

Nemo

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,414 Posts
Amendment to Responsible Body Armor Possession Act coming up... Carhartt jackets will be banned.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Oh great, now all the arm-chair "ballistic experts" are going to tout this as an argument against the 9mm. "SEE! You wouldn't have that problem with a forty-five, hyuck hyuck!"

At any rate, there isn't enough information available to determine what may have caused this. A combination of a thick jacket and perhaps a bad batch of ammo could be to blame. Blaming the gun, if there were no malfunctions, is just asinine. This is going to be blown way out of proportions when it was simply luck of the draw (no pun intended) that these rounds didn't penetrate.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Details are pretty sparse right now. However, if the guy was in any kind of defensive position where the jacket was bunching up, or material from the sleeves was overlaid on the main part of the jacket, it's possible we could be talking about several layers of one of the most durable jacket materials out there. Not ideal for any JHP to defeat.

We also don't know distance. Maybe one of the cops was firing from a long distance in pistol terms (big difference between 9mm at 5 yards and 60 yards). Could have also been a bad batch of rounds in one of the officer's guns.

I won't be ditching 9mm and I won't be relying on my Carthartt to replace my plate carrier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.