Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Under Scrutiny
Joined
·
19,386 Posts
The title should be "Car Wash Employees Sit On Suspect Until He Dies"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,258 Posts
This is something that judo players are cautioned about. You have to be careful about compressing someone while they are on their stomach, as your weight can prevent the lungs from expanding and limit or prevent their breathing altogether. I don't know if that's what happened in this case, but I can easily see where the weight of several people can cause this to happen. An unfortunate incident and another reason why a citizens arrest is generally not a good idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,531 Posts
*shrug*

I don't see a problem with it.

Scumbag tried to commit a crime. He dies as a result of his own actions.

I don't have a problem with this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
mpc said:
This is something that judo players are cautioned about. You have to be careful about compressing someone while they are on their stomach, as your weight can prevent the lungs from expanding and limit or prevent their breathing altogether. I don't know if that's what happened in this case, but I can easily see where the weight of several people can cause this to happen. An unfortunate incident and another reason why a citizens arrest is generally not a good idea.
There had to be an underlying medical condition, or either the person(s) on him were of ridiculous weight. Almost any activity can cause increased pressure on the diaphragm such as having you arms tied behind your back or above your head. I applaud those that held him down. If we had more citizens who helped deter/detain criminals, we would see a great downturn in overall crime statistics. As it is now, most would rather let the perp get away and HOPE the LEOs can catch them.
 

·
Read Only
Joined
·
0 Posts
Officers were questioning car wash employees, according to Fleischer. Officials were not sure what led to the man’s death.
If you want to look at the root cause, the thing that absolutely led to this man's death, it would be his assertion that he was above the law, the fact that he broke the law, and then paid the ultimate price for breaking the law.

I applaud the citizens for effecting a citizens arrest on this fellow. I'm sure none of them meant for the fellow to die. It could have been an unseen medical problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
983 Posts
I can't wait to hear the side of the story from the dead guy's family. I am sure there will be lots of "oh he was such a good guy, he would never do anything to hurt someone." No doubt there will be a lawsuit against the employees that sat on him. Hopefully it will work out for them, in my opinion this is one more scumbag off the street.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
72,746 Posts
mpc said:
another reason why a citizens arrest is generally not a good idea.
I am thinking very few are going to see this your way. :wink: Let's see, robbery thwarted, robber dead, car wash employees realize they need to go on a diet. Sounds like a win-win.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,258 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
mpc said:
another reason why a citizens arrest is generally not a good idea.
I am thinking very few are going to see this your way. :wink: Let's see, robbery thwarted, robber dead, car wash employees realize they need to go on a diet. Sounds like a win-win.
My thoughts aren't so much about the bad guy, but the people who initiated the detainment. They could be facing manslaughter charges, a lawsuit, or other legal entanglements. It may wind up costing them some legal fees.
 

·
Under Scrutiny
Joined
·
19,386 Posts
What's in the water around here.....

mpc I don't believe any of those folks will face any charges nor should they. They were thrust into a situation by an attacker and they responded. I see no problem with it. They didn't want the guy to die.
 

·
Under Scrutiny
Joined
·
19,386 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,258 Posts
mountainpass said:
What's in the water around here.....
mpc I don't believe any of those folks will face any charges nor should they. They were thrust into a situation by an attacker and they responded. I see no problem with it. They didn't want the guy to die.
I didn't say they would be or that they should be, just that they could be. I don't think anyone on this board is rooting for the bad guy, but I've known a few people who have used force in self-defense and still had to take a ride downtown, in some cases with a negative outcome. In the first GCO convention, one speaker recounted his experience where charges were brought against him for using his gun in self-defense. He was eventually found innocent, if I recall, but still had to shell out money for a lawyer and sweat-out a conviction.

My original comment was that it might not be worth it to initiate a citizen's arrest. I don't know all the legal trappings from doing a citizen's arrest and I'm sure that most people don't either. If you are wrong about arresting someone, you yourself can face charges. Police officers has gotten in trouble for illegal detainment.

"If you do it, you better be right" - Advice from an ex-cop, current lawyer. Just ask OJ about the wisdom of detaining someone and that wasn't even a citizen's arrest.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top