Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

Car question

1K views 39 replies 24 participants last post by  cwats04 
#1 ·
I went to the Honda Mall of Georgia dealership a couple of Saturdays ago to get the oil changed. I ended up paying $500.00 before I left. They told me that the right side of my car was so out of alignment that it had damaged the two right tires to the point that they needed replacement. So after the oil change, tire rotation, buying and installing two tires, and an alignment it was $500.00. I’m not sure I needed all that but I know nothing about cars and felt so taken advantage of that I was afraid that if I told them to just put my car back together and forget the repairs they’d throw it back together where it would fall apart a mile down the road so I agreed to the repairs.

But here is the thing, I never felt any drift or difficulty steering my car. It’s a 2008 Honda CRV with less than 18,000 miles on it. I told them I never felt any drift and was told that was a myth that the steering would drift if the car was out of alignment and that the suspension was so good it would have covered it. I find that hard to believe. Plus if the car was really that badly damaged and there were no symptoms or signs I no longer feel safe in it. Suppose I had been driving down the interstate at 70MPH when the two right tires blew?

So three questions:
1. Could the car have been that badly out of alignment to have damage the tires without me noticing it?
2. If just the right side of the car was that bad out of alignment does that suggest something wrong with the basic frame of the car which I suggested and told them that should be under warranty but they told me that nothing that was wrong was under warranty.
3. Does anyone know an honest mechanic or car repair place because I’m through with Honda dealers?

See less See more
#2 ·
It sounds like you paid premium prices for your new tires and the alignment. It's possible that the alignment could have been bad enough to chew up tires. If you have had the car since it was new, one of the routine maintenance trips into the dealer should have revealed the problem. If you bought it used, you may have bought someone else's problem.

#3 ·
There are no alignment devices on the back tires. Make them show them to you. You were taken. Sorry!

#4 ·
It happens all the time to pretty little girls. You were definitely taken advantage of. It's a shame to have to, but next time take a guy with you...just don't go back to that place. They are not a scrupulous business.

#5 ·
CountryGun said:
There are no alignment devices on the back tires. Make them show them to you. You were taken. Sorry!
'08 CR-Vs have an independent rear suspension that is adjustable. The toe is set by adjusting the linkage (similar to adjusting tie rods) the camber is adjusted via shims placed behind the rear hubs. I don't there is a caster adjustment.

Many vehicles now require a 4-wheel alignment.

#6 ·
beachbaby32459 said:
So three questions:
1. Could the car have been that badly out of alignment to have damage the tires without me noticing it?
It is possible that the alignment could be off and would cause the tires to wear, however you would not feel any drift or pull. If the tires were worn that badly that they required replacement you should have been able to notice something or at least hear something. I'd be interested to see the old tires.

2. If just the right side of the car was that bad out of alignment does that suggest something wrong with the basic frame of the car which I suggested and told them that should be under warranty but they told me that nothing that was wrong was under warranty.
Alignments are generally only covered under warranty up to 7500 miles. I wouldn't say that something is wrong with the frame of the car. Have you had your tires rotated before, and maybe they ended up keeping one of the front tires in the front, and the other front tire got moved to the right rear?

3. Does anyone know an honest mechanic or car repair place because I’m through with Honda dealers?

Sorry I don't know of any shops up in your area.
I will say that you are trying to do the right thing though. You are trying to educate yourself so you don't get taken advantage of again. I think the price you paid might be a bit high, however I don't know what they are charging up in your neck of the woods. Alot depends on how much you paid for your tires as well. If you feel as though you are possibly being taken advantage of (or if you just want to know cause you are curious) ask them to show you what is going on with your car.

Hopefully this helps you out.

#7 ·
It might be too late, but here is Honda's Customer service 800-999-1009. Like was said above, if you bought it new, and if you had all your services performed at that dealer, and it was never wrecked then you might get help. When I say help, probably a free oil change or such.

#9 ·
The alignment service should have included a printout from the machine showing the settings before & after adjustment.

I never go to the dealer for anything other than warranty service.
I do 99.9% of the work myself and the rest goes to a trustworthy independent shop.

- Sent from my StarTac

#10 ·
mzmtg said:
The alignment service should have included a printout from the machine showing the settings before & after adjustment.

I never go to the dealer for anything other than warranty service.
I do 99.9% of the work myself and the rest goes to a trustworthy independent shop.

- Sent from my StarTac
This. Also, were the tires worn in an odd pattern or not? You did not mention that. Bad alignment can certainly chew up tires.

#12 ·
beachbaby32459 said:
I went to the Honda Mall of Georgia dealership a couple of Saturdays ago to get the oil changed. I ended up paying $500.00 before I left. They told me that the right side of my car was so out of alignment that it had damaged the two right tires to the point that they needed replacement. So after the oil change, tire rotation, buying and installing two tires, and an alignment it was $500.00. I’m not sure I needed all that but I know nothing about cars and felt so taken advantage of that I was afraid that if I told them to just put my car back together and forget the repairs they’d throw it back together where it would fall apart a mile down the road so I agreed to the repairs.

But here is the thing, I never felt any drift or difficulty steering my car. It’s a 2008 Honda CRV with less than 18,000 miles on it. I told them I never felt any drift and was told that was a myth that the steering would drift if the car was out of alignment and that the suspension was so good it would have covered it. I find that hard to believe. Plus if the car was really that badly damaged and there were no symptoms or signs I no longer feel safe in it. Suppose I had been driving down the interstate at 70MPH when the two right tires blew?

So three questions:
We have a 2002 Honda Odyssey that has 160k miles. I do all my own work on my vehicles but this one has been back to the dealer several times for warranty work and it amazes me at the other work that can be found that needs done. Every time I checked behind them the dealership was correct. I don't think Honda's are built that well rather Honda is meticulous in their maintenance and their dealers fix problems, usually before you know it is a problem, of course you feel it with your wallet.

I doubt you were taken advantage of but it is always wise to be shown the problem. Tires are bad? Show me why. They will do this, if they wont, go somewhere else FAST.

Depending on the tires they put on the vehicle $500 doesn't seem bad. The Michelens we run are $275 each from my tire lady. Alignments are $89 or more at the dealership and the oil change probably set you back $30. That leaves $190 per tire & mounting and balancing. Of course they probably dinged you for $40 for the "rotate" which is a crock when they are pulling two off anyway.

#13 ·
I hate to say it but as previuosly stated you were taken for a ride. The tires would have wore aout on both sides of the car if the alignment was out not just one side. Damage or not both caster and camber angles go out when a car loses its alignment. I would follow up what the Master Mechanic at the shop or his Boss and ask what was they cause for such a high bill. Take someone with you that know cars relativly so they done blow smoke up your butt.

#15 ·
I had a similar problem with my previous car, the camber was off and was causing the front tire to wear on the inside, my routine inspections I would look at the outside of the tire and not climb under and look at the inside, I didn't realize this but my mechanic did when I took it in for a brake change. I never noticed any drift or pull.

What happens when camber is off:

http://www.familycar.com/Alignment.htm

#16 ·
I have seen tires worn from misalignment that were a hazard but never pulled. All it takes is one hard hit like a curb or big pot hole to knock out the front and rear on one side.

If you got the premium oil change you probably paid around $70 for that. Alignment probably another $70. $180 per tire is not unheard of for a 17" tire.

I doubt that you got ripped off on the price but you may have been sold a little heavy with a scare tactic that you car was unsafe to drive. There is no way of really knowing if it was or not without seeing a pic of the 2 tires in question. It would have to have been very bad though for the tires to have worn that much between oil changes though.

I generally do all of our own service work to our vehicles but my wife uses Sears in Kennesaw a lot. The oil changes are inexpensive (it cost more to buy the stuff than they charge for the service) and we have never had an issue where I thought that they ripped her off.

The dealerships make a large percentage of their profits from their service dept and I refuse to use them for anything other than warranty work with very few exceptions. I spent many years working in stealerships service departments and worked with a lot of unethical service writers over the years that used hard sale tactics and sold a lot of service work that did not need to be performed. Service writers get paid a commission on the work that they sell so always take that into account when dealing with them.

#17 ·
spotco2 said:
I have seen tires worn from misalignment that were a hazard but never pulled. All it takes is one hard hit like a curb or big pot hole to knock out the front and rear on one side.

If you got the premium oil change you probably paid around $70 for that. Alignment probably another $70. $180 per tire is not unheard of for a 17" tire.

I doubt that you got ripped off on the price but you may have been sold a little heavy with a scare tactic that you car was unsafe to drive. There is no way of really knowing if it was or not without seeing a pic of the 2 tires in question. It would have to have been very bad though for the tires to have worn that much between oil changes though.

I generally do all of our own service work to our vehicles but my wife uses Sears in Kennesaw a lot. The oil changes are inexpensive (it cost more to buy the stuff than they charge for the service) and we have never had an issue where I thought that they ripped her off.

The dealerships make a large percentage of their profits from their service dept and I refuse to use them for anything other than warranty work with very few exceptions. I spent many years working in stealerships service departments and worked with a lot of unethical service writers over the years that used hard sale tactics and sold a lot of service work that did not need to be performed. Service writers get paid a commission on the work that they sell so always take that into account when dealing with them.
how much do they charge?? i normally pay 12-13$ for the oil and filter from autozone...

#19 ·
I don't see how you can get 5 quarts of oil at $4.00 each and a filter for under $20 though.
O'reillys has the oil change special(5 quarts and filter) for $12.99 this week. Most auto parts stores have similar deals.

#20 ·
It drove in, so it will drive out.

Next time, tell them you'll think about the additional repairs, and request a written estimate(usually computer generated these days). Then, drive away, having only paid for the oil change you went there for originally. Use the estimate to go elsewhere, just about anywhere, besides the dealership. If the repair is justified, from say a Pep Boys, then get it done. If the dealership's estimate is fair, then return for the repair, if you like.

Other ways people get taken are with serpentine belts, air filters, pcv valves filters, airconditioning freon service, and other stuff you can replace yourself with basic tools, in the driveway or parking lot of Autozone using their tools, for fractions of the costs of paying a mechanic. "Tune-up" equals ripoff, unless you're driving a really old car. Replace your own spark plugs and spark plug wires, which is NOT a tune-up.

#21 ·
Hock25 said:

Next time, tell them you'll think about the additional repairs, and request a written estimate(usually computer generated these days). Then, drive away, having only paid for the oil change you went there for originally. Use the estimate to go elsewhere, just about anywhere, besides the dealership. If the repair is justified, from say a Pep Boys, then get it done. If the dealership's estimate is fair, then return for the repair, if you like.

Other ways people get taken are with serpentine belts, air filters, pcv valves filters, airconditioning freon service, and other stuff you can replace yourself with basic tools, in the driveway or parking lot of Autozone using their tools, for fractions of the costs of paying a mechanic. "Tune-up" equals ripoff, unless you're driving a really old car. Replace your own spark plugs and spark plug wires, which is NOT a tune-up.
With the aluminum heads found on new cars I don't advise just anyone to change the plugs. A torque wrench is just about mandatory. With old cast iron heads there was no issue of just snugging them up, spend any time on an auto forum and at least weekly someone has stripped the threads out of their aluminum head(s).

#22 ·
psrumors said:
Hock25 said:

With the aluminum heads found on new cars I don't advise just anyone to change the plugs. A torque wrench is just about mandatory. With old cast iron heads there was no issue of just snugging them up, spend any time on an auto forum and at least weekly someone has stripped the threads out of their aluminum head(s).
I don't completely disagree with that. A mechanic isn't needed to use a torque wrench, or to go finger-tight then 1/8 to 1/4 tighter with a ratchet. Also, ratchet extenders and a swivel-knuckle will help on many cars. Replace your own plugs and wires, and use the money saved to___________.

Would you like to put $100 into your pocket, right now? Go to autozone or similar car parts store, buy a serpentine belt for your used vehicle, and replace it yourself. A ratchet is all that's needed. Gloves can save the knuckles, and a 2x4 in the hands of a helper pushing down on the tensioner also makes things easier.

#23 ·
At the very least, learn how to judge tire wear for yourself and spot problem wear patterns before they become so bad you have to replace the tire. Also learn the basics of keeping your tires properly inflated. It's not difficult and there are tons of diagrams out there.

ex:

This is another example of 'life skills' that should be taught in public school, but aren't (or aren't well-taught). Sure, parents can teach it better, but these days, so many of them don't or don't know how.

#24 ·
Hock25 said:
If your AC needs freon, you need a UV dye or electronic sniffer to find the leak. AC systems do not just use up freon. After you repair the leak, you will need a vaccuum pump and a set a of good pressure guages to fill it properly.

The shop I used to run did a lot of work where we had to go behind people that tried to fix things themselves. Do't believe me? Ask the guy that tried to change the plugs in his Ford 5.4 and broke four of them (On some 5.4s it's a know problem with plug design. Some Ford dealers won't even change them without pulling the heads). Or ask the one of the guys that overcharged an AC system and blew all the seals out of it.

#26 ·
SilentGhost said:
Adam5 said:
Or ask the one of the guys that overcharged an AC system and blew all the seals out of it.
You mean you don't just keep hooking up those bottles till no more will go in? :shattered:
:rotfl2: Seriously though, hang on to your older vehicles. All 2010 and newer vehicles have gone to CAN. (Controller Area Network) If you thought the cause of "check engine" lamp was confusing before, you haven't seen anything yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.