Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember a few years ago Clark Howard called a car lease a fleece.

Anyway, depending...that's not necessarily true these days.

OK OK back on topic.

I understand the end of lease residual value (a contracted number established at lease start time) vs. actual value at turn-in issues.

Here's the question: if your lease car is in a bad accident but not totaled and it has been repaired - does the bad carfax report affect the contracted residual value (is there usually fine print in the lease agreement to cover this) ? Seems like it should since the repair history of a repaired car certainly diminishes its value to the dealer that leased it.

·
69,784 Posts
I remember a few years ago Clark Howard called a car lease a fleece.

Anyway, depending...that's not necessarily true these days.

OK OK back on topic.

I understand the end of lease residual value (a contracted number established at lease start time) vs. actual value at turn-in issues.

Here's the question: if your lease car is in a bad accident but not totaled and it has been repaired - does the bad carfax report affect the contracted residual value (is there usually fine print in the lease agreement to cover this) ? Seems like it should since the repair history of a repaired car certainly diminishes its value to the dealer that leased it.
Yes.

Worse, if the car is totaled, the insurance company will pay only the actual cash value, and you, as the consumer on the lease, will have to make up the difference if that does not cover what you owe the lessor.

·
Registered
7,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can the dealer recover the difference between the contracted residual value and actual carfax induced reduced value ? Cash from the car leaser at turn in time?

·
69,784 Posts
Can the dealer recover the difference between the contracted residual value and actual carfax induced reduced value ? Cash from the car leaser at turn in time?
Read your lease.

·
69,784 Posts
http://www.leaseguide.com/articles/leased-car-accident/

However, there's one note of caution. Since your vehicle has been involved in an accident, it's trade and resale value may be diminished. Although the insurance company may have made a "diminished value" payment to you or the lease company, if you try to trade or sell the leased car, a dealer or potential buyer may use the accident as a way to low-ball the price. By returning the car, or buying it at lease-end, you by-pass those potential problems. Do not be tempted to end the lease early.

·
69,784 Posts
When you enter into a lease agreement, the lessor is required to buy back your lease at the end of the lease term at a "guaranteed fixed value," regardless of accident history. The only stipulation is that you have the accident damage repaired to satisfactory standards, which is as simple as calling your insurance agent and bringing your vehicle back to the dealer. Therefore, your total liability in the event of an accident in a leased vehicle is only your insurance deductible.
http://blog.wellesleytoyota.com/blo...asing-A-New-Vehicle-The-Professional-s-Choice

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
Those that lease cars are aware that accidents happen. Read the fine print. They have covered themselves...well.

·
Registered
7,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MP,
thanks for the answer
I've never thought about leasing or seen a lease but have wondered about downsides that might not be readily apparent. Having a crash repair looks not to be something that would bite at lease end time.

I traded in a car at a shady dealer a few years ago and the full legalsize page of fine print on the back of the trade-in paper was a fright. They could essentially void the deal years later if hidden damage or problems were discovered in my trade-in car. This is a large chain of dealerships owned by that N.C. guy who has a major Nascar presence.

That was what got me to thinking that a lease might also have some risky terms.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
I don't drive that much, but my mileage alone would be a deal breaker. What is it now, $.25 per mile over 12,000 per year?

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,938 Posts
I don't drive that much, but my mileage alone would be a deal breaker. What is it now, $.25 per mile over 12,000 per year?
The mileage limit can be negotiated when take the lease out. The higher the mileage limit, the higher the lease payment. I have seen some allowed 25k a year. Most are around $.10 a mile for running over. It can also be set that there is no overage fee if you purchase at the end of the lease.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
All leases I've seen do NOT change the residual value as a result of accidents which have been repaired. That is one of the "risks of ownership" which remains with the lessor not the lessee. The resultant diminished value of an accident ridden car will be to the detriment of the leasing company, not you at the end of the lease.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
Not really. You are already paying a per mile cost at the beginning of your lease for the stated mileage. You will pay slightly more for miles accrued above the stated miles. For example, your lease payment at inception includes a cost of $0.20 per mile for the 15,000 mile per year lease for 3 years. At the end of the lease, you should return it with 45,000 miles or less. If you return it with 47,000 miles, you'd owe $0.25 per mile for the 2000 miles over your limit. Obviously, you'd we $500. But, that's only $0.05 more than you would have paid for those miles had you included them at lease inception.

In addition, more miles costs you approximately the same whether you own or lease. When you sell the car you own, you'd get less for it if it has more miles. Either way, more miles cost you.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
Still in the car business, but business manager for the last 4 years

1 - 14 of 14 Posts