Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
69,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What coverages do you carry and why?

I don't have car debt, and I am considering dropping the collision/comprehensive coverage on one of my three vehicles, leaving only one remaining with such coverage. I could not easily replace that vehicle due to its value.

Please share any thoughts about car insurance coverage. Do you carry uninsured motorist?

What do you carry and why?

·
Man of Myth and Legend
14,813 Posts
Most states require UM/UIM (Underinsured/Uninsured) coverage along with the basic Liability. If a vehicle is securing a loan that finance company nearly always requires the Collision and Comp coverage.

Your finances, replacement needs and abilities and basic vehicle value should determine the Coll/Comp coverage needs.

Keep the UM/UIM. Figure an illegal alien with no drivers license or car insurance runs a red light and T-Bones leaving you with a comminuted femur fracture requiring 15 surgeries and out of work or wheelchair, crutches, cane for 18 months. He is minimally injured and runs off so no defendant and if one nothing collectible.

That coverage gives you claim back on your own coverage for the damages you received as well as medical bills and all that.

PL/PD are required in most states and many also require the UM/UIM coverage. I would go with at least $100k/$300k policy limits. Nowadays $250/$500K is better. Thats $100K or $250K per person, $300k or $500k per crash. I keep the 250/500.

I had a crash back in 1983, hit head on. 2 Defendants, one left scene, not my fault at all other than wrong place, wrong moment. Substantial ortho injuries. Short story was 59 days in the hospital, anesthetized for about 18 surgeries in that time, out of work for 17 month. About 5 more surgeries over next 2 years. NOT FUN.

After LAWbotomy I did a fair number of car crash cases for planitiff.

I know that of which I speak.

Nemo

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
The price difference, in my experience, is less than $15/ month. Definitely worth it to keep full coverage unless you just have a very tight budget

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
We carry full coverage including uninsured/under insured coverage on my 2008 Yukon and my wife's 2007 MB 450GL because they're our primary vehicles and high dollar to repair or replace. I carry full coverage on my 2005 BMW R1200 GS bike for the same reason. On my 1970 Honda CT-90 just liability because of its low dollar value. We have a 2003 Honda CR-V that I only carry liability on, again because of its low value. We have a small toy hauler/camper that I'm not sure about. I know it has comprehensive coverage to cover theft, fire, weather, etc.

I think that's all.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I don't have any debt and still have full coverage on my daily driver that is 7 years old. I have liability on my 96 Cherokee Sport that barely gets driven 100 miles per year. Full coverage on the motorcycle.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
I think full coverage on a nice motorcycle, especially comprehensive coverage which covers probably the most likely things that can happen like hitting a deer or a dog and theft, is a good idea.

The only thing I see about collision coverage on a motorcycle is that if you try to use it, if the damage is anything more than a scratch or two you're probably going to get totaled.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,323 Posts
My "comprehensive" coverage it's not expensive and I've how do use it 4 times over the last 30 years:

2 for hitting deer,

1 for when somebody smashed the window of my car to try to rip the radio out of the dashboard when I was parked in downtown Atlanta, and

1 for a rock-hit-windshield from a speeding dump truck that had no license tag on the back that I could see and I couldn't get a good description of them. So they could not be ticketed.

I say "comprehensive" is worth it.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
14,813 Posts
Also, with the Uninsured/Under Insured coverage, suppose Ferd Burfelle has a $500 bomber and carries only liability with a policy limit of $25k. He has a one too many at the Dew Drop Inn and a toke on the way and TBones you by running the red light. Or the lady that works at the quickie mart and dozes off after working an extra shift and hits you head on.

You could easily end up with that much in meds for a broken bone. If someone else was in the car with you that $25K could go fast.

Nemo

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
After LAWbotomy I did a fair number of car crash cases for planitiff.
That answers what I thought was the case.
As for the OP question I carry full coverage on my Truck. Paid for or not. To many things that can go south without it. It just always goes back to the Parachute thing for me.

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,769 Posts
300k liability and 300k for uninsured and underinsured. No collision for my daily drivers as I drive cars I buy for cheap or get for free. And I carry I think a 1000$ deductible on the comprehensive and a 250$ deductible on uninsured and under insured motorists.

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
I used to recommend (still carry it, but not with as much enthusiasm) "medical payments", it covers your passengers medical bills if injured. It's cheap and used to be quick and easy pay but I read that folks now often need a lawyer to collect.

If you carry a personal liability umbrella, the insurance company requires carrying the highest levels of liability on the auto policy.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
As for full coverage thats really your call. I would look up what the actual cash value of your vehicle is. If its something you think you can pay out of pocket id drop it.

Um/uim are important and not that expensive. Alot of uninsured drivers (and from my time doing auto claims alot of shady drivers who will lie and their insurance will back them up).

The important thing to discuss is your liability limits. State minimums are a joke and will exhaust quickly. If you have anything of value its worth carrying enough to protect yourself.

·
69,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great input so far from everyone above.

Please post if you have not yet posted.

·
Romans 10:13
4,646 Posts
We have full coverage on my wife's car since it is still financed. I have a old truck and only carry liability and uninsured motorists on it.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
One thing i forgot to add is get the add on um/uim not the reduced garbage.

With reduced if the person that hits you has 25/50/25 then your uim will be reduced by that amount.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Well whats the verdict Counselor. :unsure:

·
NRA Certified Instructor
5,088 Posts
I have 3 vehicles on my insurance policy. There are 2 drivers with perfect lifetime driving records. IE: No traffic tickets and no accidents ever. Total cost for a 6 month policy is $573.40. Of course it's not a full coverage policy since all vehicles have clear titles. I would say it would all depend on your driving habits. If you drive fast or even a little on the risky side then then you may want to take more insurance. However if you drive like your life and future depend on it (AKA: Safe Driver) then take the least amount you feel comfortable with. One of my vehicles is a 1 of 10 and can not be replaced but is not quite old enough to be classified as collectors yet. It stays in the garage 90% of the time and usually only driven 10 to 15 miles per month. Although since 01/01/2021 it has only been driven 6 miles. It does get out for a bath and a run around the block though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts