Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in a car accident last week. Both my car and the other drivers are totalled (he hit me head on at a high rate of speed). After a short hospital stay I am back home recuperating.
Looking for advice on how to deal with the insurance companies in getting fairly compensated for replacing my car and also how one normally handles all of the medical bills that arize in such a situation.

All suggestions are appreciated.

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,724 Posts
a lawyer they will get about 30ish something % when you settle....i just settled my motorcycle wreck from three years ago....

as for the car my brother totaled my moms car that she used on her job(right hand drive subaru for mail delivery) the adjuster called harassing her daily that the car was X amount that she should just settle out for the price of the car...my brother's attorney took the individual who hit him to small claims court and they called and made a fair offer(6000) for the car instead of the original offer(about 1200) they tried to tell her because it was RHD it was worth less

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
AeroShooter said:
Go talk to a PI lawyer.
:righton: :righton: :righton: :righton:

Most all of them will pick you up without any payment until settlement

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
What insurance company are you having to deal with?

I have had two vehicles totaled along with medical bills. Both times there was no need for an attorney, they settled on the autos for better than I wanted and paid all medical bills.

Of course if you think you are due pain and suffering you'll probably need an attorney.

·
Luggage Killer
786 Posts
The guy that hit you had insurance?

The jerk that rear-ended my wife in 2004 in Jacksonville, FL had a insurance card that he had made one monthly premium payment.

She will be having her 4th Back/Neck surgery next week. Thank Goodness for good employer provided medical insurance!!!

Hoping you recover completely. Health and otherwise!

·
Die Hard GCO Recruiter
6,763 Posts
psrumors said:
What insurance company are you having to deal with?

I have had two vehicles totaled along with medical bills. Both times there was no need for an attorney, they settled on the autos for better than I wanted and paid all medical bills.

Of course if you think you are due pain and suffering you'll probably need an attorney.
This has been my experience also.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I've been in the insurance bidness for 20 years. It all depends on the company, the adjuster(s) you end up with and what the other person claims happened. If you were in a head on then that is something which can possibly be disputed as to who was at fault. It just all depends on the details. If the tangible facts & testimony from everyone make it clear that the other guy was at fault and the other guy has insurance then I'd start out dealing with the other company without an attny.

Here is the only thing to really remember in that case: DON'T SIGN ANYTHING until you are satisfied that you are either exhausting his limits (and you don't plan to go after him personally) or all of your bills & other claims are covered such that you are happy with it. FYI you won't be paid for anything until you sign something too. Though you can usually settle the car damage independant from the bodily injury.

If you think you may have permanent damage and the guy has a high limit policy or he is a wealthy individual, then get an attny.

If you try to deal with the other company and you feel they are giving you the run around or trying to low ball you or if there is any dispute as to what happened which could place any negligence on your part then I would consider filing through your own auto insurance & letting them handle the situation and/or getting an attny.

There is your advice, consider it worth what you paid for it. :wink:

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
My wife is an insurance agent if you need help PM me and I can have her give you a call.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts