Canada bans gun that says Molon Labe

Discussion in 'Off-topic Political' started by Mrs_Esterhouse, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

The irony of this policy is not lost on me. If this were made law in the U.S., other than people illegally hiding their guns, I would expect the response to be about the same. This is why I continue to believe the Second Amendment is one big bluff. I have seen no evidence to suggest otherwise. Canadian gun owners are law abiding to a fault—U.S. ones too.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBi-e59W2ZY[/ame]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  2. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Thought Crime.

Not much difference between Americans and Canadians at this point. We still have the 1st right now, they don't, but that's a government difference, not the people. The people are very similar in many ways and beliefs.

3. Don27

Don27 Member

They're just testing the waters. Seeing what people are willing to comply to. Next year a little more.......

See, Illinois gun registration.

4. EJR914

Yes sir, 100 percent right

5. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Hmm... so were these AK-47 clones banned in Canada because of the "Molon Labe" or "Maple leaf" imagery on them,
    OR was it because they are nearly identical, and 100% equivalent in form and function, to the normal AKM semi's that have been banned for years under Canada's Assault Weapon law?

We ARE talking about the CZ 858 "Tactical" model. A semi-auto 7.62 x39 rifle that uses AK-47 surplus parts and accessories for the AK, looks like an AK, functions like an AK, and uses quick-detachable 30-round AK-47 / AKM magazines.

https://www.czub.cz/media/attachment/file/i/n/instruction-manual-cz-858-tactical.pdf

So are you guys SURE that this gun isn't being banned as an "assault weapon" for its mechanical features that are actually important to the weapon's lethality, not the silly slogans or images on it??

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Gunsmoker, it seems to me it had nothing to do with the English transliteration using Roman letters of a Greek phrase (that nobody knew about until a movie was made that bastardized the history of the Battle of Thermopylae) and everything to do with the fact that it meets the already existing ban categories.

7. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

No, I think they really did ban them because of the markings.

https://firearmrights.ca/en/rcmp-prohibit-cz-858-spartan-rifle/

So to my point: Molon Labe! Sure, no problem. :lol:

8. gunsmoker

Yer right

Ok, on further reading it looks like it's true--- the federal police are using the "limited edition" status of these rifles to declare that they are not the same make and model of CZ 858 rifles that they tried to ban years ago, but for which the government over-ruled the police and approved for sale as a sporting rifle.

This is the problem with generally banning guns based on their characteristics but creating a list of exceptions that name specific models.
    If the exception says the Hunnybunny Thumper model 11, product code #TU45800-21 is legal, and then the Hunnybunny Firearmms Co. comes out with a variation with the barrel 2" longer and with a phosphate finish instead of blued, product code TU45801-23, that new gun is presumed illegal.
    It's not on the list of approved guns!

Attached Files:

9. gunsmoker

P. S. I'm surprised (pleasantly) that Canada's assault weapon gun ban still allows military-caliber semi-auto rifles that use detachable box magazines.
    All a gun company has to do to an AK or AR pattern rifle is give it a barrel of at least 19" and no muzzle threads, and cut off the bayonet lug, etc. Sporterized versions with 10-round magazines are merely restricted, not prohibited.

10. EJR914

Hahahaha

11. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Lol, I think I would have to buy one based on the name alone.