Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Saw this ad for a Tavor bullpup shotgun in a gun magazine the other day.

Bullpups, in general, whether they be shotguns or carbines, seem like a logical and practical way to reduce the length of a long gun for use indoors in CQB or room-to-room house clearing.

But to me they do not feel comfortable or natural at all. Granted, I've never owned one; I've borrowed one for a magazine full of shooting at the range (thank you, FallschirmJager). I've handled and shouldered several models at gun shows and in gun stores, and I said to myself
"Never having owned something configured like this, it would take me a long time and a lot of ammo to get used to it."

For those of you that own a bullpup:
is that true?
Did it take you a long time to get used to it, for putting it up on your shoulder rapidly? How long did it take to feel comfortable and confident in your swift presentation of the gun to cover the target?

Did any of you regret your choice of buying a bullpup, and either sell it or trade it, or just shove it in the back of the gun safe?

Air gun Machine gun Trigger Gesture Shotgun

·
Senior Mumbler
6,649 Posts
I've got the Tavor X95. It goes to my shoulder naturally just like an AR does. It better balanced than most long guns and shooting one handed is usually easier too. The grip and trigger assembly are in the same spot as other long guns.

The thing that really takes getting use to is magazine placement. On the X95 the mag release is where you'd expect it for any long gun, the earlier Tavors had the mag release back at the magazine. The Magazine being back behind the grip does take a lot of pratice and getting use to if you want it to become second nature though.

The ejection port being opposite of your check may cause some power deposit on your check from the cover on the check side, especially if you're shooting with a suppressor, but I've never noticed any problem from it. If you're a lefty, then the Tavor can be converted over but some bullpups can't and that may be a deal breaker.

The triggers on bullpups can leave a lot to be desired because of the long linkages needed. On my X95 it isn't really bad and the stock trigger has about the same feel and break as a stock trigger on a common AR.

I have a Keltec KSG and would love to have the Tavor but can't justify it. I rarely shoot shotguns even though I have a few. I imagine the Tavor Shotgun would be orders above as far as quality/fit/finish/performance over the Keltec. I also imagine it's pretty bulky, maybe even more so than the Keltec is.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,649 Posts
I've got the Tavor X95. It goes to my shoulder naturally just like an AR does. It better balanced than most long guns and shooting one handed is usually easier too. The grip and trigger assembly are in the same spot as other long guns.

The thing that really takes getting use to is magazine placement. On the X95 the mag release is where you'd expect it for any long gun, the earlier Tavors had the mag release back at the magazine. The Magazine being back behind the grip does take a lot of pratice and getting use to if you want it to become second nature though.

The ejection port being opposite of your check may cause some power deposit on your check from the cover on the check side, especially if you're shooting with a suppressor, but I've never noticed any problem from it. If you're a lefty, then the Tavor can be converted over but some bullpups can't and that may be a deal breaker.

The triggers on bullpups can leave a lot to be desired because of the long linkages needed. On my X95 it isn't really bad and the stock trigger has about the same feel and break as a stock trigger on a common AR.

I have a Keltec KSG and would love to have the Tavor but can't justify it. I rarely shoot shotguns even though I have a few. I imagine the Tavor Shotgun would be orders above as far as quality/fit/finish/performance over the Keltec. I also imagine it's pretty bulky, maybe even more so than the Keltec is.
EDIT: I found where I posted this on the Tavor TS12 a while back.

·
Registered
8,848 Posts
Any chance there’s an integrally suppressed 300 blackout bullpup option out there? I was pleasantly surprised to find several integral AR uppers on the market but have found a bullpup option yet.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Any chance there’s an integrally suppressed 300 blackout bullpup option out there? I was pleasantly surprised to find several integral AR uppers on the market but have found a bullpup option yet.
Semi or bolt?

Black collar arms makes an integrally suppressed BLK barrel that fits the rem 700 receiver. MK Machining makes a rem 700 bullpup chassis. You could combine the two.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
It's like anything. If you have a lot of time invested in the muscle memory of AR's and their ergnomics, you're having to reprogram your muscle memory for the different ergonomics.

This means practice, practice, practice.

Ian and Karl have been dabbling in these.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts