Can you get a temp license after moving counties?

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by jimjones30, Dec 17, 2010.

1. jimjones30

jimjones30 New Member

Today I went to renew my firearms license in Fulton Co. and was told I could not receive a temporary permit because my current license was issued in a different county. From reading the law, I can't determine if the denied permit is because they legally can't or because they don't want to. My current permit expires on the 28th, so I'm obviously not happy that I'll probably be without a license for a bit. I know I should have went to renew sooner, but does anyone know if a temp can be issued for situations like mine? Anyone with a similar experience that wants to share? Thanks.

2. rabbivj

rabbivj My Name is Inigo Montoya

afaik, your address has to match the county you live in. I dont know how the DDS does address changes but the address has to match the county you live in. Also of note Fulton county (the courthouse at least) does take temp DLs as that is how I applied for mine when I moved down here.

3. jimjones30

jimjones30 New Member

Thanks for the reply. The issue isn't with my drivers license, it is my GWL. My current one is from another county, so they won't give me a temp because it isn't from Fulton.

4. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Ask to speak with the probate Judge. Your GWL is not a county license, it's a state license. A temp license is not a county license, it too is a state license. They are just issued by the county you live in, but they are state license.

5. jimjones30

jimjones30 New Member

Thanks for all the feedback. I called and spoke with a Senior Court Clerk from the licensing division and she said I can receive a temp permit. I won't be able to go back today, but I'll give an update tomorrow on if I'm successful.

6. jimjones30

jimjones30 New Member

I went back and was issued a temp license without any hassle. So to answer the question in my post, "Yes".

7. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Thanks for the update.:righton: