Can u carry a bullet in the chamber?

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by mike316atl, Aug 3, 2007.

1. mike316atl

mike316atl New Member

I was a victim of a armed robbery while I walked home. I had my .45 on me but I didnt have anything in the chamber. After a lecture from a police i was told i couldn't have anything in it. Is this true?

2. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

Did the thief get your .45 too?

3. mike316atl

mike316atl New Member

no

It was in my holster outside of my shirt the whole time, but he had a gun to my head so i couldnt do anything. he got a wallet with no money and a ipod.

4. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

Re: no

Can't believe he didn't pluck the .45 out and take it too. I guess he was too focused on what he was doing to notice. "OK self, pull gun.....take wallet....run."

Glad you are OK.

5. GunNut

GunNut New Member

I always have one in the pipe. Not only does it save that second or two, it gives you +1.

Interesting that a cop would say not to have one in the pipe, he must be against the 2nd amendment.

I would have asked, "What about a wheel gun?"

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Mike316atl, was this a recent incident?

The short answer to your question is that the police officer was either lying or simply engaging his mouth before engaging his brain. There is no legal requirement that the firearm you are carrying have an empty chamber, Israeli style.

I am sorry to hear that this happened to you, but glad to hear you are ok.

7. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Mike- Gald to hear you are ok.

Man, uneducated cop. That erks me more than anything. People in a position that have no clue what the hell they are talking about and then dont try to become educated in a line of business they perform.

Would you feel comfortable posting place of incident?

8. Ashe

Ashe New Member

I always carry with a round in the chamber, If I need to get to my G23 I don't have time to play slingshot first.

9. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

:shock:

That sucks, glad he just wanted your wallet and that you came out of it ok.

As for your question try doing a search on "chambered and pipe". That will give you a couple of threads where this has been previously discussed. The search feature is a great thing around here. We have talked about soooo many gun related questions & issues that you stand a good chance of finding what you have a questions about.

Welcome aboard.
    Come down to Macon this weekend to the Eastman gunshow join up with GCO!

10. GunNut

GunNut New Member

I assume you called the police after it occurred so they could file a report. Did they nab you for carrying without a GFL?

11. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

1st) Glad to hear that you are OK and that the BG didn't get your .45.

2nd) There is nothing in GA law that says that you can't carry chambered. I would venture to guess that nearly everyone on this site carries with a round in the pipe. There is no guarantee that if something happens you'll have time to rack the slide. I want my guns to be ready to go if needed. I use a holster that completely covers the trigger and keep my finger out of the trigger guard until ready to fire.

12. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I don't. I carry without anything in the magwell or chamber so that I can rack the slide before entering rooms and in elevators and cars, just like in the movies. 8)

13. rajl

rajl New Member

The guy is lying. Nothing about the law says anything about having one in the chamber.

14. mike316atl

mike316atl New Member

thanks for all the info

It really helped me, once i get a replacement card i will be ready. But ya it happened last week. I stay in fulton county.

15. Mastino177

Mastino177 Member

You should find that dumb a$$ sob and tell him thanks, he almost, might have gotten you killed. Beware of your environment around you at all times. Glad to hear you are okay though.

16. merlock

merlock New Member

:lol:

budder = :ninja:

17. budder

:roll: Ninjas don't use guns.

18. merlock

merlock New Member

lol...then I guess we need a tacti-cool smiley :p

19. budder

Indeed. I don't want my carry style (Condition Cool) to be left out!

20. jeepsterwannabe

jeepsterwannabe New Member

good idea... do you also kick open every door you encounter?