Can They FPV Over Private Property Without Permission?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by futureusr, Nov 19, 2017.

1. futureusr

futureusr A Typical Cat

"On Sept. 21, a federal court for the first time struck down local ordinance attempting to regulate the operation of unmanned aircraft systems (UAS or drones) within its jurisdiction. The United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts invalidated parts of an ordinance passed by the City of Newton, Massachusetts, which were challenged by a local UAS operator. (Singer v. City of Newton, No. 17-100071-WGY, 2017 WL 4176477 (D. Mass. Sept. 21, 2017).) For state and local governments wishing to regulate some aspect of UAS operation within their jurisdictions, this decision may be useful as an indicator of where federal courts are likely to draw the lines when faced with preemption challenges in this area."

On a related note, would it matter if the remote UAS operator was armed? Why?

https://www.hklaw.com/aviationlawblog/local-drone-law-struck-down-by-federal-preemption-09-27-2017/

2. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

This is a gun forum, you must be armed to post.

3. futureusr

futureusr A Typical Cat

Duly noted, the original post was composed as I fondly stroked my Sig 9mm.

4. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

And read by me with a Colt 357 in my lap. Sufficient?

Nemo

5. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

6. GoDores

GoDores Like a Boss

Aviation regulation is totally preempted by the feds and that’s been the case for a very long time. The areas the city wanted to regulate are already covered by specific federal regulations so the court correctly invalidated the local regulations.

Outside of air carrier operations (where you get groped by the TSA) and three specific airports in the DC area (where armed guards are required on flights), I don't think the FAA cares what you do with guns. Georgia is probably much better than Massachusetts in that regard but it's not a federal issue if you're not on federal property.