"Can I see it?"

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by gsusnake, Apr 27, 2007.

1. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

OK, here's one.

How do you answer the (seemingly innocent) question "Can I see it?"

I just experienced this tonight at Subway. I was in line, OCing, and the guys behind me noticed my gun and started asking me questions. Is it real, are you a cop, is it loaded, can you do that legally, what make/caliber is it, etc. They were extremely drunk by the smell of it.

I'm used to all of those questions, yes, it's real, no I'm not a cop, yes, it's loaded, and yes, it's legal.

Then came one I'm not used to.

"Can you take it out so we can see it?"

I replied "No, I don't want to appear to be a threat to anyone, and it's illegal for me to take it out of the holster if I don't feel my life or safety is in danger."

They continued pestering me and I ignored them until I got out of the restaurant.

How would y'all have handled this?

2. gsusnake

I don't think it is actually illegal in GA as long as it isn't pointed at someone BUT it is very unwise to do this in public without cause.

What if a BG was acting nice, got you to hand over your gun, then did something evil.

Like you did from what I read. I would have been polite and informative but I would never have even considered letting him get his hands on my gun. I would have asked them stearnly to stop. If they became a real pest I would have removed myself from the situation. It doesn't sound like it got that extreme from your post.

As a side note, I carried into a liquor store one time and the owner, who was open carrying, exchanged guns with me for a second to look at each others guns. He was open carrying and I knew he was the owner. This might have been a mistake in hindsight.

http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/vie ... kage+store[/quote:lygjbnpp]

The folks at the Subway know me pretty well, and they're really cool with the fact that I carry... that Subway is in the industrial area of town and is not in a very nice neighborhood.

The dudes were just drunk and obnoxious, and spent most of the time talking about "If I had a gun e'erbody would see that bitch, shawty!" and other such nonsense.

And NO ONE except a properly identified and credentialed LEO in the course of his professional duties is going to handle my gun except me. NOBODY. Not my buddies, not my coworkers, NO ONE.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Oh, yeah, just take it out and hand it to some drunk guy you do not know . . .

:lol:

So how is the openly carrying experience so far?

4. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

"Sorry, only my wife and I are allowed to handle my equipment."

5. merlock

merlock New Member

Would you consider that idiot ATF agent in Florida to qualify? :p

I do agree with you however. :)

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I believe you handled it as good as you could have. I agree that it definitely would have been a bad idea to take it out.

No one else besides them said anything about what was going on?

7. gsusnake

It's actually been quite positive. Part of that comes from living in a small town, and part of it comes from my discretion in carry locations.

I don't OC, or carry at all, anywhere near the university. That's a fight I don't want to lose.

Had positive experiences in the bank, at Lowes, the guitar store, and several other places.

8. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

So I take it you didn't go to the Subway on Chandler? :lol:

9. gsusnake

The one where I could whip it out and pee on the Parking and Transportation building across the street, and the dorms right across from that?

That's a negative. IF (and that's a HUGE if) I decided to carry anywhere near that campus it'd be well concealed.

10. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I'm glad I don't live on campus anymore. Two years of that crap was enough.

11. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

I believe that was a good way to handle that situation.

One thing I would have said is my gun is like my wife, only myself and her are allowed to handle either of them.

Ask them if they pass around thier girlfriend.

12. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

That is my only reservation about OC... I don't like to talk to folks just randomly in stores and as much as I like to educate folks I don't like answering questions.

but due to ramm's harrasment I will find a suitable OC holster and try it at least once when I get the GFL in the mail. :)

13. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

First, I would never give my gun (loaded or unloaded) to someone I do not entirely trust.

Second, I have at Harvey's barber shop on chandler. Right across from Dingus McGees and the dorms and campus.

I am conducting lawful business, so I do what I want.

14. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

All my life ;)

15. Foul

Foul New Member

Moron: "Can I see it?"

Foul: "Keep screwing with me and you'll get a very good look at it."

16. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Hmm what would I say? I think something like
    "Sorry, I try to live by the samurai warrior code. If I draw it I have to shoot someone with it. Still want to see it?"

I think that, particularly if they were drunk. It would probably go over better, like "Oooooo he's all ninja & ****".

:rotfl:

17. gsusnake

They weren't the only ones there, and I'm sure someone would have heard that wrong and called the cops for me threatening to shoot the two poor little black guys.

Remember, we're in south GA here, where racist tensions are still well alive...

18. dbaker

dbaker New Member

The only reason it would come out of my holster while not at home/range is to show someone the business end of it. :lol: