Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the "off limits" page here at georgiapacking and found this: "However, some "public gatherings" (and any of the above areas off-limits) such as a county hospital or the post office may have signs posted to inform you they are off-limits. You probably will lose your permit for several years if convicted."

Is MCG hospital in Augusta considered an "off limits" area? My wife had a bad experience there last time she went alone and has asked me to carry next time we go in for an appointment.

FWIW I have a TX CCW license (I am in the military).

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read through the "off limits" section and can find no reference in the text to carrying in hospitals except for this paragraph:

"However, some "public gatherings" (and any of the above areas off-limits) such as a county hospital or the post office may have signs posted to inform you they are off-limits. You probably will lose your permit for several years if convicted."

Can you clarify? Are all hospitals off limits or just "county hospitals"? If that is the case, does anybody know if MCG-Augusta is a county hospital? Their website was no help.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
We really need to do away with the government building clause. It's just as confusing as the public gatherings language.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
If you are in the military service of the state or U.S. you can carry there, even if it is off-limits to license holders. Just have your military ID.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies thus far. I have been reading up on the new GA CC law tonight and as I understand it the Active Duty military exemption makes it OK for me to carry pretty much anywhere (except for federal property, jails, and courtrooms) including church?

Also, the MCG hospital is teaching hospital, which is connected to a teaching school/university. Does the active duty exemption make it OK for me to carry in a university hospital?

Sorry for beating a dead horse, I just want to make sure I am comprehending these laws correctly.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
rlltd42 said:
including church?

Your military ID does allow carry in a church. I hate it for the other tax paying citizens in the state, but it's so.

Also, the MCG hospital is teaching hospital, which is connected to a teaching school/university. Does the active duty exemption make it OK for me to carry in a university hospital?

It does, but then what sets you apart from other citizens?

Sorry for beating a dead horse, I just want to make sure I am comprehending these laws correctly.

Thanks again!
Note that I'm retired military. My son is serving now, on his second tour. Do I think any citizens should be set apart from others? Hell no! Use OCGA 16-11-130 wisely!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CountryGun,

Thank you for the clarification. I agree with you on all points. I would also like to add that I have the upmost admiration for retirees, I really don't know how anybody makes it to 20...i'm certainly not that tough.

I do not consider myself any different from any other citizens. The Army is my job, and I'm pretty good at it; but I do not possess any kind of secret squirrel skills or entitlements that set me apart from anybody else. I do my best, for my sanity, to wear the uniform at work and leave it at the door. However, if there is some legislation that allows me to legally carry when it would be illegal otherwise I plan to take advantage of it.

The biggest point in all of this discussion, to me, is the fact that we are talking legal concealed carry. I believe concealed means concealed. The only way somebody is going to find out I am carrying is if I fear for my life; however it is comforting to know that I am not in direct violation of the law by carrying a weapon for self defense in a hospital. Should I ever be involved in an incident things would already be bad enough without having to explain why I had outright disregarding the law. Ignorance is no defense.

My wife has expressed her concerns following her last visit to MCG where she was harassed and did not feel safe walking to her car. She has specifically asked me to find out if I can carry to the hospital and it appears that I can.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
rlltd42 said:
...I understand it the Active Duty military exemption makes it OK for me to carry pretty much anywhere (except for federal property, jails, and courtrooms) including church?
1) You don't have to be "active duty." You just have to be in the military service of the state or U.S. The guard, reserve, and GSDF are covered too.

2) With the exemption, where in the law does it say that it is illegal for you to carry into a jail or courthouse? You may (or may not) be prevented entry, but I don't see it being illegal.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
legacy38 said:
MCG= Medical COLLEGE of Georgia

Carry in the hospital is a no go.
Not for military. They can carry in college.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,434 Posts
legacy38 said:
MCG= Medical COLLEGE of Georgia
Carry in the hospital is a no go.
rlltd42 is in the military which makes him one of the exempted ones, legacy.

BTW rlltd42, GA is not a CC State. OC and CC are both considered the same in the State eyes.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
phantoms said:
BTW, GA is not a CC state. OC and CC are both considered the same in the states eyes.
:righton:

·
Registered
16 Posts
There is an important distinction about military personnel that you guys are missing here...the list of "exempted personnel" is preceeded by verbiage to the effect of "while in the discharge of that office." It's kind of silly to think that carrying while on leave/liberty is the same as under arms while on duty (such as an MP or security detail). This would NOT apply to persons entering the hospital who are on active, reserve, or guard military status unless they are carrying in uniform under duty status.
Please read and understand the entire statute. Georgia gives a LOT of latitude to military. It will only take a little bit of stupidity or irresponsibility to mess that up.

·
My Name is Inigo Montoya
4,025 Posts
There is an important distinction about military personnel that you guys are missing here...the list of "exempted personnel" is preceeded by verbiage to the effect of "while in the discharge of that office." It's kind of silly to think that carrying while on leave/liberty is the same as under arms while on duty (such as an MP or security detail). This would NOT apply to persons entering the hospital who are on active, reserve, or guard military status unless they are carrying in uniform under duty status.
Please read and understand the entire statute. Georgia gives a LOT of latitude to military. It will only take a little bit of stupidity or irresponsibility to mess that up.
OCGA 16-11-130 specifically...oh and holy necro post batman!

·
68,524 Posts
There is an important distinction about military personnel that you guys are missing here...the list of "exempted personnel" is preceeded by verbiage to the effect of "while in the discharge of that office."
OCGA 16-11-130 says nothing of the kind. Go above to the yellow button marked Gun Laws. Click it. Then select the button marked Weapons Related GA Code, and click on it. Then select 16-11-130.

Here is what the preface says:
(a) Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-127.2 shall not apply to or affect any of the following persons if such persons are employed in the offices listed below or when authorized by federal or state law, regulations, or order:
It's kind of silly to think that carrying while on leave/liberty is the same as under arms while on duty (such as an MP or security detail).
Why?
This would NOT apply to persons entering the hospital who are on active, reserve, or guard military status unless they are carrying in uniform under duty status.
What? Have you bothered to look at any other items on the list of exempted people? Let's take the first one. Peace officers. So, according to you, police officers can carry only while in uniform and carrying as a part of their duties while clocked in to their 8 hour shift. Right? Why or why not? If your answer is "No, that is silly," then please explain the difference between item 1 on the list and item 3, since they both have the same preface to which you referred above.

Take a look at item 12. If I understand you correctly, the gun laws of this state do not apply to a judge, but that exemption applies only while he is wearing a black robe and actually sitting on the bench. Is that correct? If not, then please explain the difference between item 12 and item 3, since they both have the same preface to which you referred above.
Done. Now will you please do the same?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts