Can I carry at work? I'm a State employee with a GFL.

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by chuckw, Aug 22, 2007.

1. chuckw

chuckw Member

I work for a small State agency. We are in a privately owned 13 story office building in Atlanta with the entire 12th floor and parts of the 8th and 10 floor leased.

I'm not concerned with carrying while working; but would like to be carrying when going to and from work and especially in the parking deck. The weapon can be locked up in a cabinet in my office during work hours. I will not leave it in the truck as there have been to many vehicle breakins over the last few months.

I've asked our HR person and she has no idea.

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

This may sound like a stupid question but; does the state pay for the leased floors?

3. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Then it's gonna be a no-go to have it on your floor. Any .gov building is off limits for GFL holders.

4. chuckw

chuckw Member

That's what I was thinking. I would be fine in the elevator lobby since that's a common buiding area but not good in the office area.

What about if I received written permission/waiver from either HR or Senior Management (Commissioner)?

5. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I don't believe written consent from the boss man will allow you either. 16-11-127 is still in effect even if the boss does not mind.

Now, if the boss does not mind and no one is going to call the 5-0...that's a personal choice you would have to make, weighing the pro's and the con's of having your weapon there.

Few points to consider:
    If you were forced to use your weapon at work you would not be covered under Ga's Stand Your Ground laws.

Also, remember that being within (at least) 200 yards of a Public Gathering (like a government building) is still a violation of the law.

6. AV8R

AV8R Banned

I would be interested to see how that plays out in court. :twisted:

7. Mastino177

Mastino177 Member

Any chance on being able to stow your pistol inside the building...say a lock box in the security office?

8. ntech

ntech Member

Would you be able to provide me with a link that details the exact specifications of the stand your ground law?

9. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

https://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?t ... ction=24.2

https://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?t ... section=21

10. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

If there are no metal detectors and I was really comfortable carrying a gun (not tugging on it and stuff like that) I would just carry a j-frame in appendix carry.

My version of don't ask don't tell.

11. chuckw

chuckw Member

Seeing as how I am the one that provides "security" by controlling door access cards, control of the office security systems, IT security, etc. how would this play?

(d) It is an affirmative defense to a violation of this Code section if a person notifies a law enforcement officer or other person employed to provide security for a public gathering of the presence of such item as soon as possible after learning of its presence and surrenders or secures such item as directed by the law enforcement officer or other person employed to provide security for a public gathering.

Any weapon would be locked in a secure file cabinet upon arrival.

12. chuckw

chuckw Member

I wouldn't want to be the test case. I'm just a low paid state employee with 2 years left till I'm eligible for retirement. :)

13. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Without going into the legal issues; I'd say that if your boss does not care and you put it in a locking file cabinet where other [anti-gun] employees will not see it...I would say the risk of there being a problem is very low.

14. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Technically: Off-limits. Violation of the "public gathering law", Misdemeanor. Can't even leave the gun in your car at the parking lot, much less carry it inside. If you had to use it you would not be immune from suit or prosecution. If anything ever came of it you would probably be fired because you work for the state.

Practical side: Boss doesn't care. Only a misdemeanor. Unlikely to use it while actually inside the building. I wouldn't tell anyone else, make sure nobody knows that could complain. If you are careful, unlikely to be detected. Better to be on trail or facing suit than dead, etc. No metal detectors, you provide a security function.

You make the decision. This is another excellent example of why we need to fix GA's laws.

15. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I have a picture of me in a place that is off limits by state law with a very visible bulge in the appendix area that appears suspiciously like the handle of a J-frame. Now, I am not saying it is a J-frame, mind you, especially after my kid took it to his class for show and tell, but whatever it was I thought was invisible before I saw the picture.
    :shock:

Maybe it was just the angle of the light at that moment?

16. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

If someone sees it and raises a stink, at the very least you'll have a bit of explaining to do which could cost you a few $$$'s if you have to explain it in court. At the worst you could lose your job, catch a misdemeanor and lose your GFL.

IMHO the key point is... "if someone sees it". Keep it concealed (perhaps in a briefcase) and when it's not in your control, make sure it's locked in a place where only you have access. Don't tell anyone at work you have a gun and I'll bet that you won't have a problem.

I think Georgia firearms laws are "bent" on a daily basis... unless you make overt threats or wave the thing around, I doubt you need to worry. If you ever use it in self defense I really doubt the whole PG thing will be brought up.

I would just make darn sure it was always concealed, never bring it up again in conversation and never lose control of it. You should be OK.

17. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

lol

18. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

I would not tell ANYONE. Not even your close friends at work who would not care either way. It comes down to this - if you tell anyone, even one person, then there is always the concern that they will either accidentally, intentionally, or in conversation let the cat out of the bag. You do not want them to say something to someone else who also doesn't care but gets overheard by someone else who does care. You get my point.

It is off limits, PERIOD. Do what you feel you need to do, but remember in govt. work what is practical isn't always the law. Your current boss doesn't care but the next boss might, or your current boss's boss might care if he finds out. If anyone who knows gets pressured they would give you up in a heartbeat if they thought it might save their job. IMHO it would not be worth it.

Now, in your car (still an off-limits place) ........ that is a whole different spin. Still wouldn't tell anyone.

19. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Wise advice from Mr. Volgrad