Can anyone help me identify the guns in these historical photos?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Torchwood, May 5, 2017.

1. Torchwood

Torchwood Member

I have a few photos that have come across while doing some historical research on the Georgia State Defense Corps during WWII. I was wondering if any of the more knowledgeable members of this board could help me identify some of the guns shown in these circa 1942 period photographs.
    [​IMG]
    In the top "target's eye" view photograph, what is the gun that is shown being held somewhat vertically by the two soldiers on either side?
    [​IMG]
    In the bottom photo of the inside target range, what makes/models of the various guns are being used?
    Any assistance with this research is appreciated.

2. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Looks like an M50 Riesing submachine gun.

3. Scout706

Scout706 Well-Known Member

There is an entire niche community of collectors of military surplus .22lr bolt action training rifles. I am not one of them.

4. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

5. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

Attached Files:

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Win 52

I disagree. The Springfield 1922 had a much larger opening / ejection port on top of the receiver, making it look like the 1903 receiver that it was meant to imitate.
    The Springfield 1922 also didn't have a push button magazine release on the right side of the stock below the ejection port.

The iron sights on a Springfield 1922 don't look like the ones on the rifle in the pic, either.

I think it's an early Winchester model 52.
    http://commerce.gunsamerica.com/422...6/WINCHESTER-MODEL-52-TARGET-22-LONG-RIFL.htm

The Win 52 had barrel bands in the early days. The trigger guard and bolt match, the ejection port matches, the mag release matches, and the stock matches. Not sure about the sights. This one in the link above looks pretty close on the rear peep sight.

Last edited: May 6, 2017