Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, don't know exactly where to ask this so mods feel free to move as you see fit.

Ive read the TSA airline rules and guidelines for packing and flying with firearms. The problem is I don't exactly have a handgun case specifically. All the good ones are in the $40-$60 range which I don't have right now. I do have one of those Plano plastic lockable ammo cases. It does have a hole through the lid so you can use a padlock with key and I know for sure you cant simply wedge your fingers in there as they sometimes test at the ticket counter. Would that sort of container work? As long as I stuff it with some foam and such I don't see why it would be a problem but I want to make sure before getting slapped with a fine or worse for not having an "approved" container.

Thanks for any and all replies

Kaz

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts
I used a metal box a jigsaw came in once with no problem. The issue is can the lid be pried up enough to see inside when locked. I don't remember the specific wording.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts
Also the box doesn't need to be inside another piece of luggage. Some folks use large lockable metal boxes and pack their stuff inside it with the gun.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used a metal box a jigsaw came in once with no problem. The issue is can the lid be pried up enough to see inside when locked. I don't remember the specific wording.
That's my impressionew as well. The three main requirements are that it be able to be locked with a key or combo lock that only I have.( absolutely no TSA locks) That it has to be a hard container ( ie- not able to be sliced open or torn) and that you cannot easily pry it open or access it through the lid/edges when closed. The ammo box fills all those requirements easily so I really don't think it will be a problem at all, just making sure and double checking.

Still on the fence on whether I want to send it solo like that or inside another bag. :?

Thanks everyone

Kaz

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts
Shooting Equipment

Shooting equipment is allowed as checked baggage only. It must fit within the very specific criteria that we outline below.
Declare to the Delta representative that you are checking a firearm.
Declare the existence of a firearm to security personnel if there's a security checkpoint before the Delta counter.
All firearms must be declared by the passenger to a Delta representative at the main ticket counter.
Present firearm(s) unloaded and sign a "Firearms Unloaded" declaration.
Firearms must be packed in a locked manufacturer's hard-sided container specifically designed for the firearm, a locked hard-sided gun case or a locked hard-sided piece of luggage. Handguns may be packed in a locked hard-sided gun case, and then packed inside an unlocked soft-sided piece of luggage. However, a Conditional Acceptance Tag must be used in this case.
Maintain entry permits in your possession for the country or countries of destination or transit.
Ensure small arms ammunition is packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood, plastic or metal boxes and provide separation for cartridges.
You are responsible for knowledge of and compliance with all Federal, State or local laws regarding the possession and transportation of firearms. For more information about this regulation you can visit the TSA website.
If you are transporting a firearm to the United Kingdom, a permit from the United Kingdom is specifically required. You must contact the United Kingdom for more information about securing this permit.
Until further advised, passengers departing Brussels, Belgium are not allowed to check weapons including, antique, sporting, hunting or toy rifles in their checked baggage.
The following types of ammunition are not accepted:
Gun powder; such as Pyrodex or Black Powder
Ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectiles
Ammunition, including case, exceeding 11 pounds (5 kg) gross weight per passenger
Pistols and accessories must be included in one case and contain:
Pistol telescopes
Noise suppressors
A small pistol tool case
No more than 11 lbs. (5 kg) of ammunition, including case
Rifles and shotguns must be packaged as follows:
One hard sided case containing up to four rifles, shotguns, shooting materials, tools
The case must completely secure the firearm from being accessed. All areas designed to be locked must be locked.
Locked cases that can be easily opened are not permitted. Be aware that the container the firearm was in when purchased may not adequately secure the firearm when it is transported in checked baggage.
One hard sided case containing up to five handguns, one scope, tools
One bow and quiver of arrows and maintenance kit enclosed in a case or container strong enough to protect the bow and quiver from accidental damage
No more than 11 lbs. (5 kg) of ammunition, including case
An excess baggage fee will apply if checking more than one gun case.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/baggage/before-your-trip/special-items.html

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would use it, cut out some padding to fit the gun in there nicely and lock it up. Put the ammo in a seperate container.

·
Banned
1,267 Posts
I know it has to lock. Does it have to be made of metal? I know they have plastic and metal ammo cases.

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,821 Posts
I bought my gun safe from delta last time I flew because my xds case want good enough. I think it was 20$ at the gate

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know it has to lock. Does it have to be made of metal? I know they have plastic and metal ammo cases.
Does not have to be made of metal. I would venture to guess almost all hard-sided firearm cases are plastic these days. More durable and lighter. The one I'm talking about is plastic. The box is waterproof with a pretty solid clasp and a hole to put a lock on it. The ammo part I've heard about conflicting info from actually. Some say it has to be either in factory boxes or in those special ammo cases. Others have said that loaded mags are OK as long as they are not in the gun. Handgun must be clear and slide locked back when in the case for traveling.

I assume that a lot of it also hinges on who the ticket person is at check in and how comfortable they are with firearms and dealing with that process.

Anyhow, I think I'm good to go with the ammo box and I'll put that in another, smaller, hard-sided suitcase. If I'm going to be checking a bag, might as well get my monies worth.

Thanks everyone

Kaz

·
Old, Slow, Boring Dude
2,524 Posts
I have no experience in this area, but I doubt that the slide has to be locked back for transport.

·
69,784 Posts
I have no experience in this area, but I doubt that the slide has to be locked back for transport.
It does not. In one of my cases, that would not even be possible, since there is a cutout in the shape of a gun.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I have done over 100 flights in the last 12 months, all of them with a handgun. I know the TSA rules quite well.

It just needs to be an unloaded firearm, ammo must be in an original ammo box, with ammo held in a fiber board, or plastic separator, and under 11lb of ammo.

They must be locked in a hard sided case.....of any type. But no cloth parts, fully hard sided. It does not need to go in your luggage, but I can if you desire.

The case must be locked, and not with a TSA lock....a real padlock.

If you have questions PM me and I'll send you my phone number for pro tips on flying with a gun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts