calling all SIG owners, help me choose

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by VolGrad, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Nitron

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Two-Tone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Elite Nitron

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Elite Two-Tone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Elite Stainless

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Equinox

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

OK - I am already a SIG convert. I currently have a Nitron 226R SA/DA in 9mm. I just sold my Nitron 229R SA/DA in .40 to another forum member (as of this evening). I absolutely love both but prefer 9mm & .45 to .40. I have decided to replace the 229R with some version of a 220R. Here is where I need help. Hopefully I won't make a decision I later regret. That would only result in another Sig for sale on the forum in the near future. LOL.

I want something a little fancier than the Nitron this time. I also think I want to stay with the same overall size of the 229R which would mean the 220R Carry models. I would like the option of concealing it if I wanted to. The regular 220R is only about a half inch longer but when I compare my 226R to the 229R there just "feels" to be much more of a size difference.

If anyone knows at what yardage the extra half inch barrel length might be beneficial please share that info. What I mean is this - Would there be any advantage in overall accuracy potential at 25 yds? At 50 yds?

Let's assume I stick with the 220R Carry. Further limited to SA/DA trigger, here is what is left.

Nitron (no, already have one like this)
    Two-Tone (most likely at this time)
    Elite Nitron
    Elite Two-Tone
    Elite Stainless (no, too shiny)
    Equinox

Here is the thing. Having not shot one, I don't know if I would like the Elite models enough to pay the premium. Same for the Equinox. If anyone has either of these please comment on the differences and if you think they are worth it.

The Elites have the beavertail, the Short Reset Trigger, and the wood grips. I really don't like the look of the beavertail and not sure it would be good for concealed carry. I also don't love the wood grips on the Elite and Equinox models. I like the look of them, but don't really like the feel of them. The ones I have held felt fat and slick.

The advantages of the plain old Two-Tone are price, no beavertail, and I can pick one up locally with 3 mags, instead of the normal 2.

2. GunNut

GunNut New Member

I'd be most interested in the Equinox when your ready to sell. :D

3. VolGrad

:bump: I made this a poll too. However, please still comment with your reasons for your choice.

4. RepeatDefender

RepeatDefender New Member

Two-tone, looks N-I-C-E, NICE! :lol:

5. VolGrad

What? Only 5 votes. Let's get on it guys, I might have to pick one up on the way home today. I really think it will end up being a regular two-tone. i have been reading about beavertails, SRTs, and fat wood grips on other forums. I might like the SRT but don't really want the other two features of the Elite. A SRT can always be added later for around $100 at Sig.

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Sorry, can't help. I'm not a Sig owner.

7. VolGrad

I went by Clyde Armory on the way home today to look at the 220 Carrys. They literally only had a handful of Sigs in the case and they were mostly the poly frame ones. I was disappointed but no huge deal. I told the guy what I wanted and asked if he could get one in for me to pick up next week. Long story short - there is a chance they will not be dealing with Sig any longer. Apparently, Andrew Clyde is not very happy with recent business practices of Sig (toward LEO dealers) and there has been some friction. The guy I spoke with said they weren't sure what the outcome was going to be but I might want to take a good deal elsewhere if I find it. He stated Andrew and most of the guys were out of town at a show and would be back next week. He would know more then and I could discuss it with them when I pick up my new shottie. I am worried.

SIDE NOTE: I spell checked this with ieSpell prior to posting and it tried to change shottie to shittier. Interesting.

8. tace

tace New Member

Funny you said this because I know of 2 other places that used to carry lots of Sigs and stopped. They will order if you want a specific one but when I asked why they didn't carry them any more I was told pretty much the same thing as you mentioned.

Wow, I guess they hired the old HK customer rep manager, huh ;)

9. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Interesting... I wonder what exact situations caused them to do this.

10. VolGrad

I really don't know details but from what I picked up from the conversation with the guy I usually buy from, Sig is screwing over their LEO dealers. There are apparently a good number of LEO depts switching over to Sigs and instead of allowing the LEO dists (like Clyde) to bid on them - Sig does the contracts direct. Basically, there is no advantage to being a LEO distr for Sig since they boxing them out. I will wait until early next week and see what Andrew has to say. I am hoping I can get one last Sig ordered before they make any major changes. If not, well I guess I will be doing some Internet surfing.

Anyone heard of Sig Show Guns? I was reading about them on SigForum. They are "as new" mostly unfired guns Sig reps carry to shows and distr like samples. They have been handled but rarely fired. They unload them to selected dealers/distr at a pretty decent discount. They might have some minor cosmetic blems but fully functional and warrantied. Better than CPOs but not as cheap either. If Clyde can't get what I want I might consider this as an option.

11. VolGrad

UPDATE on Clyde Armory and Sig pistols

UPDATE on Clyde Armory and Sig pistols:

Please take what I am posting (and have previously posted) with a grain of salt. It is hearsay and neither side of the story can be confirmed as fact unless someone hears it directly from a Sig representative. I a huge fan of Clyde Armory and would like to give them the benefit of doubt. They are good guys. That being said..................

I just talked with someone at Clyde (someone who knows the whole truth) and he confirmed that what Sig's they have in stock is all they will have. They will no longer be dealing in Sigs. His side is that Sig just doesn't want to "deal" with its dealers. They will not order what I wanted. He sincerely apologized and said that he hated that it had come down to this. I asked him if there was a chance they would mark down what they had in stock to move them and he said he did not know.

I then talked to another local dealer (I would believe to be a reputable source based on the details of the conversation) that stated Sig "shut them down" due their repeated breaking of the contract they had with them as a LEO dealer. It is a fact that they were offering LEO pricing to "citizens". This is evidenced by the fact you could buy a new Sig with 3 mags for $679. I always wondered how they could get away with this. They absolutely do not do this with their Glocks. They even keep the LEO Glocks in a separate case in a separate room. This second dealer stated that Clyde had been repeatedly warned by Sig, but continued this practice.

Thus - NO SIGS FOR YOU!!! I guess I waited a week or two too long to go back to the well. Alas, I found a great deal on a NIB Nitron finish for $699 shipped, no sales tax. I guess I will remain plain Jane with my Sigs for a while longer.

12. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Does a soon to be Sig owner count? I like the looks of both the Nitron and the two-tone. I will debating between between those two as soon as I decide if I want to take a chance on a CPO Sig.