Called the Probate Court today!

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by MCM&P, Sep 25, 2007.

1. MCM&P

MCM&P Guest

I thought I'd do a check up on my GFL application, even though I applied on the 7th of this month. Course I got the same song and dance on how it takes 3-6 months before I would see anything. I guess along with others...that I have a problem with it taking that long. I mean...what's it take to look someones background up, approve stamp put on the application and sent back. Shoot, I can do a background check on the net in minutes for a fee. I just received an updated list from our HQ on customers that were placed on COD. A good majority of them were here in my area. I cover the whole Southeast, and when I do machine modificatons or repairs I could be carrying large amounts of money, or money orders. Some of these companies are not exactly in the best parts of towns :lol: Sure would be nice to have a sidearm with me at least while I am in the car, or stopping for gas. I told her I would check since there have been reports of people getting them anywhere from 10 days to 30 days. She said she checked for me, came back and said nothing yet. :(

2. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

Code for "took a coffee break".

3. GunNut

GunNut New Member

Thats what I was thinking. I witnessed that once in a mall clothing store while waiting for the wife. Someone called and was apparently asking about an item and if they had it. The employee told her to hold and she'd check. She put her on hold and continued yakking with a coworker for a couple of minutes. She then picked up the phone and told the person that they didn't have it. I was stunned...

4. MCM&P

MCM&P Guest

Well you both are probably right...and exactly what I was thinking too. What can you do though, not like I can say...now finish that cup of coffee and go check for real this time. :lol:

5. jeepsterwannabe

jeepsterwannabe New Member

you can carry in your car, and you can open carry legally i thought, i did it for five years in ATL before i got my GFL

6. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

NO NO NO NO NO NO

Not without a GFL, same goes for carrying in your car. It must be in a covered compartment.

7. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

In a car, completely open to view is an option as well. So if you have no closable containers (glovebox/console) then you must leave it completely open to all theives.

8. chainsaw123

chainsaw123 GPDO Supporter

I know about keeping it fully exposed while driving in the car BUT, when you park if you leave it in the car, cant you stick it under the seat out of view from thieves? that would just be stupid to leave it exposed !!!!!

9. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Glove box or console.

Under the seat is illegal.

10. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

Is it illegal if you're not in possession? 16-11-126 only states that about transportation. If he isn't in the car??

11. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

As long as it is in the car I would consider that to be transporting.

12. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

Like getting in the car drunk and being arrested for DUI before ever starting the car.

13. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

I don't think possession is the right test, which is what I think you are asking about. The law prohibits "carrying" a concealed weapon, not "possessing" a concealed weapon. They're not the same. It's illegal to possess cocaine. If you hide it under the seat of the car while you're in the store, you still possess it. But, if you hide your gun under the seat of the car while you're in the store, I don't think you're "carrying" it.

14. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I'm not so sure...

How far away can you get from something and still have it about your person? Do you have to be inside the car or does outside the car count?

Couldn't the car be carrying it for you? I agree that they can't bust you for it being under the seat while you are in the office working. However, putting it under the seat means you:
    a. have it about your person
    b. are illegally concealing it

At some distance I would think it would no longer be about your person, but I still think you have to break the law to enter and exit your car with a gun under the seat.

15. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

GS1, I agree that argument might pass the red-face test, but that's about it. I don't think a gun under the seat is "about your person" except perhaps when you are sitting over it. While there may be a technical violation during the few seconds it takes to put it there when you are leaving your car, construing this (criminal) statute in favor of the defendant, as one must do, a conviction should not result from doing this.