California's damn dam.

Discussion in 'Off-topic Political' started by Bkite, Feb 14, 2017.

1. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

Now California wants the federal government to help them.

2. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Of course they do. I think it's a liberal conspiracy since Trump won Butte County. They are trying to drown the Republicans out and have given up drowning out their voices.

3. jmorriss

jmorriss Active Member

From an engineering standpoint there is so much stupid going on their I don't know where to start.

From an irony standpoint....o boy.

[​IMG]

4. Scout706

Scout706 Well-Known Member

My dad lived in the downstream area before we moved him to a care facility. Sacramento. Moved him to Orange.

5. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

So if that dam breaks and the water floods out, is there any chance it will cause southern Ca to fall into the sea?

Nemo

6. jmorriss

jmorriss Active Member

Sadly no.

7. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

It will wash a lot of Republican voters out to sea though.

8. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

The San Andreas fault is a transform fault. Worst case Southern California becomes middle California.

9. Nemo

I thought San Andreas would make Nancy Pelosi have a sunken island home from that.

Nemo

10. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

We could only hope..

11. Groundhound

Groundhound Active Member

Come to think of it, I haven't heard much of any secession talk coming from California in the last few days.

12. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

I just thought of something. If the damn breaks it will wash all those Republican voters right into the front yard of Nancy Pelosi.

13. Nemo

Enough that she might get squished?

Nemo

14. Schweisshund

Schweisshund Well-Known Member

I always knew they couldn't build a dam strong enough to hold back all those liberal tears.

15. Bkite

Bkite PawPaw x 3

16. jmorriss

jmorriss Active Member

17. Bkite

Bkite PawPaw x 3

100% concurrence.

18. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

I read some great analysis from an author I follow (John Ringo), based on stuff he learned from his father who literally wrote the book on certain aspects of dam building.

The Oroville Dam was originally built as primarily a generational dam, meaning one that exists to generate electricity. Its secondary role was as a drinking water reservoir. in 2012 the roles were reversed bu the California government. This is critically important because there are huge differences in how the two types of dams operate and thus are built. A generational dam typically operates at 60% full. It peaks around 80% and can be drawn down as low as 40%. A drinking water reservoir is kept around 80% full with the same 20% flex.

A generational dam has a mostly permanent but slow flow through the generators. The regular spillway is almost never used - maybe once every 15 years or so. Every gallon down the flume is less electricity to sell. And since a river can't power a generator 100% all the time, you manage by running at full power when the lake is high and throttle back when it runs low. This leaves the lake ready to absorb a LOT of rain, even a series of major storms without needing to use either the primary or secondary spillway.

A reservoir dam is operated to keep as full as possible as long as possible, especially if the area is experiencing a drought. This means that you are much more likely to operate the spillway to maintain lake levels. You have less room before the lake is full. As such, the primary spillway likely experienced excessive wear and tear beyond its design expectations due to higher use. California did not increase the inspection and maintenance activities on the dam when they changed its role.

The final kick comes regarding the "emergency spillway", which is simply water running over the top of the dam and down the face. As a generational dam, it would have taken a "hundred year" weather event in order to overfill the lake. This is essentially once in the design life of the structure. The face was intended to erode from such an event, but not enough to damage the core. ONCE! As a reservoir dam, this now will likely happen on about a ten to fifteen year frequency. This was why "environmentalists" requested that the emergency spillway be redesigned to accommodate the new operating plan. When was the last time California didn't listen to some environmentalists? In this case, it was civil engineers they ignored.

There is some other discussion on the corruption and fecklessness of California civil contractors regarding properly laying and compacting fill, with unfavorable comparisons to third world operators, but any evidence for or against that has long been washed downstream. But combined with lack of inspection and maintenance, is a likely contributing cause for the primary spillway failure.