California...More Good Times!

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by GM404, Oct 9, 2019.

1. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

I don't know why anyone would live there. With the threat of wildfires and high winds, recently bankrupted PG&E is proactively shutting down power across large swaths of the state. I can only imagine the madness if they keep the lights off for more than 24 hours...,

https://apnews.com/438e08fd0e174e228e40a626ef9dceaf

2. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

I just mentioned this to a coworker who used to live there. He has a friend out there who said this shutoff is absurd, because everyone is using gas generators while their power is out. So instead of a few power lines that they should have fixed, the risk is now hundreds of thousands of gas generators running 24/7 until power is restored.

3. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Sure seems to me the no power idea is awfully counterproductive. Ideas I can hear in the neighborhood out there.

Honey, lets just grill in the standing fireplace in the back yard. We have some wood left over from a year or 2 ago in the shed.

Or we can just go charcoal in the new grill.

Or use that wood smoker your brother gave us last Christmas.

Or lets let our 13 year old son show us his safe, controlled, campfire building skills he learned in boy scout camp. Hot dogs and toasted marshmallows would be great fun.

Nemo

4. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Will gun stores be open during the power outage? If I was there and didn't have any, I'd be driving to the next town I could buy some.

The silver lining in this is that folks will start waking up to the need to provide for their own safety.

5. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

What could possibly go wrong in that scenario.:shakehead:

6. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

You reckon they that smart out there?

7. Phil1979

Oh, oh, oh, Mr. Kotter, could it be... fires?

8. Phil1979

Have they all gone Rio Linda? Who knows?

9. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Had to look that one up. So true.

10. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Think medical needs out there.

Nemo

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/health-and-medicine/article235940257.html

11. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

Posted on another forum by someone in Cali.

12. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

PG&E is a listed public company. You would think that after the gigantic fire debacle that pushed them into bankruptcy, their directors and management would take the necessary steps to mitigate any future repeat events. Did they? No! Instead of performing the necessary repairs and maintenance they opt to impose rolling blackouts on their customers. Who, of course, can't change power companies because PG&E is also a monopoly. Their entire Board of Directors and senior management should be fired and replaced.

On a really serious note - I wonder how the Tesla owners are holding up? :lol:

13. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

When I heard this my first thought was it was motivated by wanting keep from being held liable in the future, whether from legislation or from help for the State (shared maintnence, etc.)

14. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

I don't recall the specifics, but some court filings showed the amount of $ and people required (more than 500,000 if I recall) that would be needed to address *just* cleaning up the easements...that doesn't even speak to much of the infrastructure than is nearly 100 years old. No simple fix and replacing the board members won't do much good. PG&E have been warning customers for quite a while now that the outages were a very real possibilities. I think this is yet another great example of a complacent society who don't feel the need to prepare for a disaster...even a man made one.

15. Phil1979

Mostly Northern CA affected. Why couldn't it have been the other way around?

16. Savannah Dan

More from the other web site, same guy.

17. Savannah Dan

18. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

It's not a simple fix when you've neglected common R&M for years. It would be impossible to do that for your entire infrastructure every year. That's why companies do R&M on a rolling basis. Different sections get worked on each year. Of course, there's always the unexpected. Other energy companies do it.

19. gungeek

gungeek Member

My mom lives in Northern CA and is on oxygen 7x24, and doesn't have much of a support system in place. All her friends are her age and suffering from their own medical conditions. Fortunately her area hasn't been affected by the shutdowns - at least not yet. If her power gets cut, her only option is to call 911 and go to the hospital.

20. Schweisshund

Schweisshund Well-Known Member

Can they cut off power to all of California during the Presidential election?